Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Recommendations for a mass impact rose

We recently cut down a big tree at the front of the driveway which freed up a lot (about 13 x 9 ft) that gets plenty of sun throughout the day, ideal for roses.

I would like to plant a hedge of roses there for mass color (only one variety). It is at the front so I would love it if it can be spotted from further away.

I am thinking about plating 3-4 Easy Does it since it has been doing really well in a pot.

But I am also inclined towards a bubble-gum/cool pink color for that romantic effect.

Based on the parameters below, what would you recommend?

1. Excellent bloomer, great bush coverage, larger bloom with nice form (no Knock-Outs).

2. Stronger color (bubble pink romantic effect or sunset orange which will probably be Easy Does It, if I go the orange route).

3. Resistant to disease, especially black spot.

4. Continuous bloom.

5. Fragrance would be nice but not necessary. The visual is more important.

In other words, tall order.

If no superior option in pink emerges, I might decide for EDI after all.

Comments (75)

• elenazone6
    17 days ago

Artist, I would suggest Fragrant Cloud. Nice shaped bush, non stop blooming, obviously very fragrant, solid color, easy to get, easy to grow.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked elenazone6
  • Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    Original Author
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

@elena

That looks beautiful with that classic, luscious shape. It's an option, jotted down on the list, thank you!

Original Author
    17 days ago

@Diane,

Many of us are some kind of "crazy" "mom of something" in addition to actual moms :). But this rose hobby is way too much fun.

Speaking of which, I just pre-ordered another MW (in 2 quart pot), since I keep hearing threats of discontinuation.

The IRL color on Munstead is surreal and cannot be captured with pictures.

So I picked another just in case this one fails to do well over the long term; .

And if it does come back...two should produce a glorious mass of blooms in the future - maybe both in a very large container like Austin does it, or next to each other in two containers, as I don't think they would work in the front lot for what I have in mind.

But with MW, better safe...:). When the bush is well developed, the blooms and color on them are as incredible as it gets.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    17 days ago

I would like to suggest Coral Knockout rose. I have just bought 4 for a hedge and have one as a rose tree. I adore apricot roses and this is a lovely soft apricot that goes well with any color. Its always in bloom and very healthy. I have and so far really like the new Knockout color - Orange Glow. It is brilliant in my flowerbeds - I pair it with yellow roses and orange/yellow zinnias. The bed is beautiful.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    17 days ago

I think Diane Grows a couple of the simplicity roses Which I have seen in beautiful hedges. It might be an improved simplicity. Carefree beauty and Lamar at my friend's Garden and they have done spectacularly well as a long head Hedgehog Hedgehog hedge. If you were looking for a red I might suggest AC navy lady, whichHigh country roses has carried in the past And alsoalso liebeszauber. Much Thor nicer is the Darkness Robin Hood, He will black spot From time to time. Robin hood. Buy harkness. It should also be la marne up aboveabove.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Diane Brakefield
    17 days ago

Vapor, I don't grow any of those roses you name above. Do you mean Dianela? Diane

Original Author
    17 days ago

Alameda,

Just wrote a post on KO-s but lost it, not sure why it didn't go through.

I was writing there that I have one KO - a Double Pink at the mailbox and it never grew as it should. It does bloom - but soon black spots and stays small, never seems to grow.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be competing with three small boxwoods that surround it but I am not sure.

Or maybe it's not getting enough water there since I can't quite reach with the hose and I water it by hand...kind of when I get around to it, which might not be enough.

But I have tried more watering before and it still doesn't grow.

I do love the KO corals though - they look the best from all of them.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    17 days ago

I don’t know just what style of roses make your heart sing, but my suggestion is Cardinal Hume. The color almost takes my breath away and the fragrance is unlike any other rose I’ve ever smelled. The whole bush and flower has an air of unstudied elegance to it. My bush is still young, but I’m told it gets quite large and repeats well. High Country Roses carries it.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 days ago

My favorite that blooms all the time, smells good, disease resistant, & gets big is: Spirit of Freedom! She loves the deep south too.

She leans towards lilac pink and sometimes gets really lavender. Might not be as bright as you want but very romantic. Quick Silver and Bathsheba both bloom at the same time, every flush here for some reason so may be good companions. She also looks really good with a single white rose growing up a trellis with her..it could be a clematis, even. She would prob look good with a blue clematis as well.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 days ago

My bad Diane! I kept thinking simplicity but the rose is veronica. Monica Monica Monica With a B.. It won't let me type it or say it. I believe it is that you

• Diane Brakefield
    16 days ago

Yes, Vapor. I've grown Bonica and Royal Bonica for many years. Still growing Royal Bonica. That one gets big. I did have a hedge of Royal Bonica at my previous home. The plants were grafted on Dr Huey, which I like better than multiflora for this particular rose. They were of good size, but not huge, and bloomed nearly continuously. The blooms are a medium pink in a medium size. They look a lot different from just plain old Bonica from which Royal Bonica sported. Diane

16 days ago

E

Es, that is what I meant by improved, that is what I meant by improved

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Artist,

You are getting excellent, beautiful roses recommended to you by rosarians in the know. Whatever you do, my advice to you is that you choose a flower color that is not gaudy. Also, make sure that the bloom does not nod because every summer rain will make the bed a royal misery to look at. Finally, a bush that is neat and tidy, not lanky will make for a better looking bed. Wishing you to make the best decision.

Moses

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    Original Author
    16 days ago

@Moses,

Thank you for the great points!

Regarding color, I am trying to achieve some landscape joy: nothing too bright - or as you put it, gaudy - but I know I don't want a beige / pastel either.

I am curious if you could suggest some rose names that you, personally, find gaudy.

I know tastes vary widely and BITEOTB (beauty's in the eye...) and all that, but it would really help to get an idea of what comes across as "too much" to a larger number of people; because personally, I love stronger, more pigmented colors in the landscape.

But there is luscious, and then there is gaudy, indeed.

For me, an example of a gaudy rose is Dick Clark or Cherry Parfait (apologies to those who like these). I am also not crazy about how KO Double Pink ages.

I have heard some find Easy Does It gaudy, but to me, this could not be further from the truth. I find it to be just the right kind of bright, and I love its salmon/pink variations.

I also saw Ginger Snap at the local nursery the other day and while I was instantly attracted to the color (a major punch), I did think something this crazy would be too much in the landscape

Any other examples of gaudy would be much appreciated so I will know what to stay away from; unless of course, I am an unabashed fan as I am with EDI, and then I would stick to my guns. :)

Original Author
    16 days ago

I was wondering what people would think of the McCartney Rose?...

• Diane Brakefield
    16 days ago

I like Frederic Mistral much better than the McCartney rose its parent. FM has a gorgeous scent as well.

I wish this showed the color better.

• bart bart
    16 days ago

If you want something that will make a strong impact from a distance,I personally think that a bright, strong colour (as in "bubble-gum/cool pink") would be more adapted than a delicate pink. To my eye, pale colours, from a distance and especially in bright sunlight tend to come across as just sort of off-white-ish; I prefer to put subtle colours in places where I will see them up close.

• Jadae
    16 days ago

Artist,

Patriot Dream is not a ground cover. It is classed as a shrub, but the blooms are the same size as most Week's Roses floribundas. It is quite round, and blooms on all sides. The plant size is roughly the same as Sunsprite, but a bit more round.

• mmmm12COzone5
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Regarding color so much depends on where you live, the sunlight, the lot size, color/style of house and the other plant materials. I find bright colors on my large lot, where you see alot at a distance, with our high altitude sunlight, and lots of xeriscape/rock to be very appealing to me. As a result I have alot of saturated colors. Bright white also plays very well.

One of my favorites is Fred Loads because I can see it from the road.

What doesn't work are the dusky colors. My Denver's Dream and Love Song are examples of colors that don't work well here. They are both beautiful roses but feel a bit flat when I look at them in the garden.

Love Song, is the front center dusky lilac rose. It just sort of disappears in our sunlight. Whenever I have people over and offer to cut them a rose nobody ever picks it.

Livin Easy is probably the most chosen rose.

The most commented on bush is Amiga Mia.

Because of our large lot I also tend to plant in groups where there are large areas of the same thing. When we bought the house everything was in singles and all mixed together. It read very chaotic but that look plays very well in English garden style plant beds. Ours is more akin to public park style due to the lot size.

I would think in areas that get alot more cloud cover, hazy rainy days that the more subtle colors would look the best and my saturated colors would look out of place.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    16 days ago

Artist, I think that you are on the right track with the orange colored roses and I know a lot of people swear by Fragrant Cloud, color and fragrance

Original Author
    15 days ago

Even though I really wanted something romantic pink, like the McCartney Rose or whatever the rose above is that I posted, I think Fragrant Cloud is taking the no 1 spot. It sounds like a winner.

• dianela7analabama
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

Unless I am thinking of the wrong rose ( Tantau 1963 ) Fragrant cloud is gorgeous and I don’t mean to discourage in any way getting it to try, but I thought disease resistance was something you were looking for. This is a hybrid tea that is according to helpmefind and not unexpectedly very susceptible to blackspot. Unless you are going to spray all you will have is defoliated sticks after spring flush. I think something like Easy does it will give you color and stay healthier, but cant hurt to try whatever you like most.

15 days ago

I was thinking the same thingthing But there are many strains of black spots so it might do well

Original Author
    15 days ago

Ohhh..I somehow assumed Fragrant Cloud was resistant to disease. Clearly not.

Maybe that's Ring of Fire.

But the point about the HT-s ending uo with bare legs is legitimate.

I do love those shrubs that get covered in bloom from top to bottom, not just at the end of canes; a bit like the Austins. ..

• Nollie in Spain Zone9
    15 days ago

Artist, I have been watching the responses to your query with interest. A healthy, compact, free-flowering romantic bubblegum pink rose would be a great thing to have. But also thinking I don’t really have anything that fits.

If you were ever to be persuaded by an Austin, then Harlow Carr would be my closest. It’s certainly healthy, compact and flowers freely all over, but maybe not quite saturated enough, colour-wise? The blooms do annoyingly nod, but I’ve got used to that over the years and at least they look good upside down too!

• bart bart
    15 days ago

Mmmm12 makes an EXCELLENT point about the location in which one gardens. I, too, have glaring, bright sun very often (too often). The photo with Love Song speaks volumes.

Personally, I dislike vermilion and orange roses (no offence meant towards those that do); my own taste runs heavily to the cool pinks, violets, mauves, cerise,dark purple-reds,etc. I hope to use lavenders (Love Song and it's ilk) as contrast for the dark colours (for some reason I'm not fond of white roses either. Instead I adore lacy, delicate white flowers) Maybe I'm so crazy about cool colours because I dislike heat,lol. I'm crazy for evergreen trees, too, for the same reason; just looking at them in the summer gives me relief.

But I digress.

What is more pertinent is my opinion about roses for a hedge ; I would definitely avoid HTs and go for the "shrub rose" type.

• elenazone6
    15 days ago

Fragrant Cloud is super healthy for me, no black spots ever.

This pic was taken Sep 25

and this one October 18, next blooming flash

Original Author
    15 days ago

Much to learn in this thread, which helps a lot with excluding options for the right reasons. so thank you you all once again.

Great point about HTs. They would not work well there, so I will exclude those. plus I like the entire bush covered, not just at the end of canes.

It would be the first thing one sees from the street, right at the beginning of the driveway which is long - so they would be ”entrance” roses.

I also fully agree with the point about location. This area is in the sun throughout the day and I love to look at it from my bedroom window, high up and at a bit of a distance (50-70ft, not even sure).

in my experience too, pastels look flat and washed out in sunny landscapes and just about all landscape roses I see around here are very strongly colored. Crazy poppy reds or pinks. I'm not crazy about many reds, mostly because it clashes with any other color. Otherwise, if the goal is only red with some white maybe, then they can be elegant and striking .

But I often have other things going in the front yard, which is more on the formal, traditional side rather than cottage garden.

So at this point Im narrowing down to romantic but vibrant pink (as in the picture I posted above) or sunset, glowy orange. I would prefer the cool color but there's also something beautiful about a glowing, warm orange in late afternoon light. it can look like its in flames in the scorching sun, so that's also something to consider.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    15 days ago

Adobe Sunrise is a great rose

Easy Does It

Soul Sister

15 days ago

That is a magnificent example of soul sistersister. I do not personally grow her But have been very impressed when I have seen her in regional gardens.

Original Author
    15 days ago

Kristine,

I've had my eyes on Adobe for a long time but I remember reading some downsides, maybe poor disease resistance, I can't remember.

Soul sister is fantastic - anything that flowers that heavily will be in my book.

Is it one shrub or several?

I have found that even with the most fantastic bloomers, they cannot do miracles in one bush, or what 2-3 of them can easily do together.

Original Author
    15 days ago

@Nollie,

I have thought about Harlow Carr, I love that cool pink color - but I heard someone complaining it was not performing all that well, so it fell further down the priority list.

But yes, I love the cool pink.

So I want to go either vibrant, cool-lilac-sherbet- bubble gum pink (but not garish like cherry pink or anything that can pass for red); or go all the way sunset warm like EDI, Lady Shalott and such.

So either strong cool pink or warm pink-orange sunset.

As for color intensity, I have noticed I need to take all advertised colors a few notches down.

For example, ORA for me is not what I see on screens.

She is virtually a white rose. The pink is barely there.

Savannah was doing the same: it was a white rose.

The sun washes out everything.

PS: Also, apologies for all the typos above. I was typing on a tablet that has seen better days, so I edited as needed once I reached me laptop. :

Original Author
    15 days ago

I also wanted to add an "aerial" picture of the space in question (front of driveway/entrance) which I took from my bedroom window. From this angle the space looks much smaller than it actually is (13 x 10 ft or so) - lots of roses could go there but right now I just want a front hedge of the same 3-4).

From left to right: the space where an old big tree used to be, tea olive tree, azalea hedge, garden bed around old tall tree seen in picture, where I have Coral drifts on the edge, and a few more roses to the right, including

Good as Gold (I always cut off the blooms now to bring them isnide because the yellow clashes with all the red and white),

Ring of Fire (just planted, amazing form)

Dee-lish.

My roses never did that well in this area, most probably because of the tree roots.

They don't grow much, they stay much smaller than advertised or that I've seen them grow for others ...and bloom is only OK. But that's the only sunny space I have.

In the back up a trellis is Eden, its second season and first with bloom, currently covered in buds. Somehow it seems to cooperate with the tree roots buy we shall see how it works over the long term. I don't ever expect it to get too big but as long as it blooms well, the coral drifts are taking their sweet time ..

This is today after rain.

Now that the small plot with the arrow opened up at the entrance, with sun all day and no tree roots, I am like a kid in a candy-dirt store. There's no other like this space since we have lots of trees around here...so I want to get it right.

Otherwise, the roses that do really well for me live on my back deck in pots.

It would just be nice to have a little mass of roses to greet us from the street as we drive in or when we look outside from the bedroom window.

Strong, vibrant color yet not garish. (Again, to me Dick Clark, Cherry Parfait, Ginger Snap are example of of that, apologies to all those who love them).

EDI still seems to be the front runner for its overall qualities (the "ease" included), but the poster above who said that warm roses in very warm climates can be a bit ...overwhelming in the heat and blaring sun...has a good point.

I am not giving up on a cool pink workhorse like EDI...except pink.

Just not sure who that could be...

15 days ago

Since you are less concerned With Fragrance You might take a look at Hermosa. This rose was fairly healthy for me And very floriferous.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 days ago

I saw a group of Princess Alexandra of Kent blooming at a nursery recently - mine is a new bare root but I had to have the potted one full of buds. Blooms are huge, a coral/pink color and I read the bush has some size. The color was outstanding - once I saw this rose in bloom I understand why all the positive comments. You might take a look at this one........That bed is lovely!

Judith

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • mmmm12COzone5
    15 days ago

Now that I have seen the space I vote for your Easy Does It. Warm sunset is what is needed there. I thought about why my Easy Livin' is so popular among garden guests. It is because everyone has pink, white and red roses. When they see the sunset colors of Easy Livin' they choose it because they haven't seen a rose like that before.

I'm thinking that the Easy Does It will have the same type of appeal. Also I just love it in that space.

Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you mmmm,

I think so too. Of all the ones I have, it speaks the most in the landscape. Ring of fire is much brighter but somehow EDI has a more relaxed softness to it.

Here it is (upper right corner) compared to a few other roses I have

Pic 1) From left to right

EDI, Belinda's Dream, Plum Perfect,ORA

Pic 2)

EDI upper right corner, Pinkie, ORA, KO Double Pink and others.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    13 days ago

Maybe a hedge of Raspberry Cupcake?

Original Author
    13 days ago

Sunny,

Oh, I love that cool pink color and the abundance of bloom. I never realized it would be so difficult to locate a bubble gum type pink that meets all the criteria (disease resistance, not HT, continuous bloom with nice form, larger and plenty of it, etc.).

This one looks like a good option.

On the other hand, I could make things simple if "things" allowed me to: I could actually go with Pink Double KO and call it a choice, because crazy as it may sound, I do love that super-cool pink color in the Southern hot landscape, or at least until it starts fading.

But I would only do that if I had proof it actually does what it promises: landscape workhorse, fast growth and covered in bloom, as some pictures show. I've seen some shrubs literally smothered by bloom.

Well, I bought one a couple of years ago, planted it at the mailbox and waited for the miracle to come,but it never did. (In the second collage above, second picture in the column at the right).

After 2+years, it stayed small, barely grew at all and it produces much less bloom than I had counted on. It also gets plenty of BS and has a pretty banal form...so it's simply not what it's cracked up to be.

So KO was out but I do love the color in its early phase, before it begins to fade.

Raspberry Cupcake looks promising, so thank you!

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    13 days ago

Lafter is definitely worth a look. Not fragrant to my nose, but bright, super healthy, and can get big

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Sunny Mississippi 8a
    12 days ago

If you don't mind a more single rosrose You might take a look at Ping like like daydream.

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    12 days ago

Has anyone mentioned Earth Song?

Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I checked Lafter and Day Dream and they are both lovely. Does Lafter fade out a lot in strong sun?

I love DayDream's coverage, amazing - but wonder whether that color may turn cherry red at some point. I am also thinking more along the lines of a larger, double bloom but that cutie could do wonders in the right place.

Vaporvac,

Waow, thank you! I'd heard a lot about Earth Song but did not know which one it was.

In fact, this gets very close to what I have in mind.

If it is a prolific repeat bloomer and resistant to disease, it might have to compete with EDI.

I always look for bush pictures and I love what I saw here:

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.318534

12 days ago

Jim has shown his pictures Hair extension. I believe it was 1 rose he is growing at his new house. If I could call him up here he might respond. I believe he has a recent post on it if you look through That was from the past couple of months. Mine is rock solid. It shows nicely from far away also. I planted it in my friend's garden and his does well as mine. We have high black spot pressure.

12 days ago

That should say He has shown his earth song here Extensively. Here is a link to that discussiondiscussion:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5444045/earthsong-rose-progression

Original Author
    11 days ago

Vaporvac,

I wanted to say thank you for the link. Earth Song looks great and is now high on my list.

I was wondering what people may think about interspersing 2 pink roses with three EDI-s in a zig zag fashion for a thicker row. I also love the combination of warm sunset and cool pink.

What would people think of Flamenco Rosita in that place?

Which one do you think would work better combined with EDI? Earth Song or Flamenco Rosita?

Thank you so much!

11 days ago

That is a tough 1Because I love E FRosita!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 days ago

Sorry Vaporvac, just now seeing this thread...

I was checking out Flamenco Rosita on Helpmefind.com...

https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.40496.3&tab=1

Interesting rose but looks like it could grow to 10ft wide... lol..

Just so you know that Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA ....

But I can see why you love it Vaporvac....

I wish you the best Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA in deciding what you want... :-)

SO many roses to choose from....lol

Original Author
    10 days ago

I knew Rosita can get big but didn't realize it could be 10 ft wide.

If so, there would be plenty of space for one in background, further back, and the three EDI.s in the front. Or 3 EDI's and 2 Earth Songs.

I like the idea of Rosita making a lot of bloom since I rarely bring any because I don't have many cut roses. Those bloom but never quite enough for me to feel comfortable cutting away for the indoors. Just a few here and there.

But Rosita sounds like she could produce in the 100+ per flush, and that would be nice.

Maybe a bit wild for that spot? Not sure how the arching canes would look since the front yard is somewhat on the formal side.

Thank you all!