Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marskiwi

Mediterranean Landscape Ideas for Spanish Colonial Revival

kris fisher
19 days ago

Please help me with landscaping my Spanish Colonial home. We love mediterrean landscaping and would love to frame the big window with taller plants. Also, this is in CA.

Comments (22)

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    19 days ago

• callirhoe123
    19 days ago

Since your hardscape comes right up to the house, your only planting option is in pots. Maybe two large pots planted with Mediterranean plants flanking the large window?

• Mrs. S
    19 days ago
    last modified: 19 days ago

So much can be done! Depending on your budget.

If all you want is to frame the big window, I can recommend getting a couple dwarf Italian Cypress trees and planting them in big pots on either side of the window. I had that for a while, and put colorful ivy geraniums around it in the pots.

Colorful, adds height, and so easy to maintain for a beginner.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    19 days ago

I would go with trellis or pergola

• PRO
  • Sigrid
    19 days ago

Italian cypress is very Mediterranean. Also, gravel, drought-tolerate plants, silver-toned leaves. Lavender is a classic, of course. If the beige areas are gravel, you just have to plant under whatever landscape fabric there is. I'd get lavender and sage, but, if you're in California, there are a ton of CA natives that are better for the environment and will give you the look.

Sacramento Mediterranean Garden - Mediterranean - Landscape - Sacramento - by Wildflower Landscape Design at K&D Landscaping | Houzz

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    19 days ago

Here are a few ideas:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    18 days ago

Why isn't the house white?

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Thank you for the ideas. This is a computer generated image of our house. It will be white house with brown trim on wooden windows. The planter/gravel in front of the house is actually soil (it just looks that color because its computer generated image). We are looking for best plants to plants to plant in that soil.

• Mrs. S
    18 days ago

Provide your growing zone. Landscape design is an entire profession. when youre planting an entire landscape from scratch, you may want to engage a designer familiar with your immediate area. youll need an irrigation plan, a plant palette, possibly HOA aporovals (??) . youll need to select trees, groundcovers, bushes, possibly add small items of interest (elevated areas or a swale maybe) .

Perhaps start a pinterest board of plants you like, inspiration front yards… join a local garden club, visit a nursery in your area. It sounds like a big project.

• Mrs. S
    18 days ago

I can tell you that the 4th image Beverly posted is Patina Farm, built and designed by Brooke and Steve Gianetti. They had a blog listing all of the Mediterranean plants they used . That whole property, in Ojai, was just eye candy inside and out, though theyve now moved on, to Tennessee. But please check out their Ojai place, especially the blog about landscaping. You will see a lot to inspire you .

• Mrs. S
    18 days ago

Also check out Scott Shrader’s work in Southern California. Lots of Mediterranean designs and plants.

• PRO
    W86 Trading Co., LLC
    18 days ago

Mediterranean-style landscaping typically features rustic, earthy tones and natural materials. When selecting lighting fixtures for this type of landscape, consider choosing fixtures that complement the overall theme. Some suitable options include wrought iron lanterns, pendant lights with a weathered finish, or traditional-style wall sconces. These fixtures can enhance the Mediterranean aesthetic while providing functional lighting for your outdoor space.

• K Laurence
    17 days ago

Where in California ? Thet makes a huge difference, coastal vs inland.

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Southern CA

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    17 days ago

What is a growing zone?
    I live in southern CA.

• Mrs. S
    17 days ago

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov

If the link works, you can enter your zip code and that's a good place to start. If you live in, say, a zone 10, then you can google plants you like to see if they're a good fit for where you are.

Let us know what zone you're in. But if it's SoCal, you are in a great place for Mediterranean plants, most likely.

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thank you! It says my growing zone is 10a.

I really enjoy the look of the following plants:
    small fruitless olive tree
    lily of the Nile
    dwarf Karo
    iceberg white roses
    Boxwood

• kris fisher
    Original Author
    17 days ago

I would also love to add to add plants in various Terra cotta or clay pots.

• Mrs. S
    17 days ago

Those sound great (but I'm not a pro). My zone is similar, and I often recommend rosemary. It smells heavenly, has gorgeous purple-y blue flowers, it is wonderful for cooking, is super hardy (can't kill it), and comes in so very many varieties: from groundcovers to big shrubs. It is wonderful, and will look spectacular with your iceberg roses. I have a ton of those, too.

I have a hedge of white flower coastal rosemary (it has a dusky slightly muted tone I think is kinda special) that grew so fast. I also love my pale pink rock roses, lavender plants, silver carpet dymondia around my concrete paver pathway in front, and bougainvillea, and tea tree plants are easy to grow as well. I also have success with blue oat grass. There is so much you can do.

I haven't checked this lately, but our landscape designer had professional software through Monrovia, where she and I could log in and interactively add and subtract plants. In this way, she could add some which allowed me to visualize them, read about what their growth habits and space and water requirements are, and I could either ok or say no to each plant.

I still think you may need help, or a great gardener to set up your comprehensive irrigation system. The whole thing really needs to have a plan, when you're starting from scratch. I do recommend having help, especially if this is your first time.

• K Laurence
    17 days ago

@kris fisher… I have two homes in So California, one in Newport & another in La Quinta, vastly different climates,

• Jennz9b
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Bougainvillea would be gorgeous against a white house.