Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura_goudie

How to salvage too many shades of neutral in lounge and dining room?

Laura G
13 days ago

I love autumnal colours but I think I have gone overboard with the neutral warm browns in my lounge and dining room. Lounge also has a lot of grey. These spaces just don’t feel quite right to me.

I’d like to get a nest side table for the lounge, a low bookcase for the dining room, and perhaps a pendant to hang over the dining table.
What colours/materials should I go for with these items to salvage this neutral dilemma?
Is there anything else I should add that you think will help?
Is there anything you think I should subtract from these spaces, or move to a new spot within these spaces?

Thanks! 😊

Comments (22)

• Laura G
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you. Wow, it looks so much more spacious with the wooden coffee table! I like it 😃

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

The three tier stand can go bye bye asap, along with the gray lidded boxes and blue toss pillows. Add some rusty tone. Get a side table to serve chair and couch. Ask Paul up there for a ROUND wood cocktail table...as below, or similar

If you want an "accent" rug? on top of a rug? Make it one.... not a plain. Or simply take the rug AWAY. It "shrinks " the space.

Joooosh the pillows

( And? Find art!!! for the kitchen, and lose the clock)

• freedomplace1
    13 days ago

If you have children, stick with an ottoman coffee table. And for that, you could get a lighter colored ottoman slipcover for the one you have, and it would have the effect of enlarging the space; or I think something like this could also be nice.

Studio Designs Home Camber Modern Leather Cocktail Ottoman in Caramel Brown · More Info

Otherwise, an additional idea with wood, etc., could also be an oval.

ETA: I really like your current throw pillows - the color, sizes, and arrangement, very nice. I wouldn’t change any of it. Maybe a throw on the chair, something fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyde-Lane-Blanket-Blankets-Decoration/dp/B0B9FF37WZ?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A5Z2YWU3O1IH2

• kandrewspa
    13 days ago

As Jan says, the clock looks so lonely there. :-) You have an opportunity for a large piece of colorful art there. You probably have a clock on at least one of your appliances, so you don't need it. The piece on the perpendicular wall is also too small. Group some other things around it, or just replace it with something larger.

• freedomplace1
    13 days ago

I like the art. There are art rules, as far as size, placement, etc., for people to use as a guide; and this is great, particularly for people who like to follow rules. But there is nothing wrong with the size of your art, as is; and if you wanted to make it ”bigger” and or to give it more presence on the wall, there are really any number of ways to do that. And some of those ways are mentioned here: https://www.stonegableblog.com/make-small-piece-art-look-bigger/

You don‘t have to relocate your current art .

If you lowered the art a bit, it would appear larger on the wall.

Another thing you could do, is flank it with some sconces. You can get battery operated sconces.

So these are just a couple of ideas. There are more on the link I posted above, and also to be found elsewhere. :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    13 days ago

• Laura G
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you everyone for your feedback, this has been incredibly helpful and informative. So many exciting ideas to try!

A question - what can I replace the two grey boxes with? These are our current toy storage system for our toddler. They are soft, easy for him to pull to stand at and easy for him to find his toys. I’d love to see some ideas on size, shape and colour for a suitable replacement. Thanks 😊

• Paul F.
    13 days ago

We have a limited view of the room but I think the boxes side by side under a window would be fine.

Do you use the breakfast bar or could you just use the table? If not, you could do something like this. Right now 8 dining seat all within 7 feet of each other in such a tight area seem like a waste of space.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

I don’t get the wall color & drapes with the warm tones. Some of the undertones of the neutrals are not playing well together. Not sure what is the fix.

• Laura G
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Marmiegard_z7b - regarding the wall colour and drapes, I made a mistake with picking the colours. I thought I was picking warm tones but once the paint colour and drapes were up I realised I had made a mistake. It’s a pain but we’re gonna have to make do with it as it’s too much expense etc to change now

• Laura G
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Paul F. - thanks, I have grouped the grey boxes together against our glass sliding door and that looks much better.
    The breakfast bar is used when we have people over. I tried removing one of the bar stools and it looks much better, as the third one generally never gets used because it overlooks our dish rack. I quite like our bar stools as the gold wood matches the gold wood of our dining chair legs, and the black bar stool legs matches our blacks in the kitchen.

• marmiegard_z7b
    13 days ago

Ok. I hear you. That’s life.

Then if it were my room, and I didn’t want to pivot to the cooler palette, my idea would be not to completely it, but to lean into it and treat it as kind of a light blue, insofar as it is slightly complementary to the orangey- caramel colors. Not suggesting you jump through hoops to do this, but step back & think if, if leaving the walls, maybe don’t introduce more grays with yet different undertones , but see if you can emphasize things that are richer than wall but in wall color undertones, plus your warm colors. I have a love of prints so would be on the hunt for fabrics that combine those. Or maybe ceramics. Or more art— I know it’s great to have just art that’s super meaningful, but it’s also fun to hunt down things with clever bit of bridging colors. Which is easier with art because foliage, sky, water , many things that are commonly depicted, may be done in hugely varying undertones. Or if looking for a new rug, would see if it has a bit of the color that’s related to the wall color.
  • Laura G
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Awesome thanks that’s a great idea, I’m gonna have some fun finding things to link these tones 😃

• Laura G
    Original Author
    12 days ago

How does this artwork look here above the dining table? I think it’s got the right colour scheme, just not sure whether it’s too small; and whether the white frame is OK. I realise it does need to be centered.

• Paul F.
    12 days ago

Oh, come on now.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    12 days ago

I lowered the mounting height of the image on your wall.

But a larger image will make a better statement.

• Laura G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

What do you think about this artwork for either the dining room or lounge? Found this 1970’s oil on canvas, it’s 1350mm x 740mm, and would almost be the entire width of the wall where the small natural wood framed photograph currently is in the dining room. Alternatively, it could go in the lounge and I could move the current lounge artwork into the dining room. Thought this would be a great way to ‘lean in’ to those cool colours in the walls and curtains without going all the way (as it has a gold frame). Hoping it will help link the warmth and coolness observed in our space.

• kazzh
    9 days ago

Ummmmmm……. Noooooooo. Maybe find a print and use the frame? Leaning too blue and cool I think. The print you had was great for the tone , just too small for the area.

• marmiegard_z7b
    9 days ago

Agree with …no on painting. It reads too electric blues and too much solid blue.

The linkage needs to be mostly the warms with some of the cool. Since any art will already be on the cooler walls. And softer, richer, since your other choices are that. Sorry not able to photoshop stuff in for you.
  • Laura G
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thanks! This is why I need this app, sometimes I go completely in the wrong direction. Really appreciate the advice - saved me a $165 mistake!

• HU-570180435
    8 days ago

Lamps

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022