Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_pour

how can I add privacy to this screened porch?

Anna Pour
15 days ago

I was thinking I’d trying to find coverings for the lower squared sections around the length of the back of the porch. They are such an odd measurement, I’ve found. Like 30” x 26”. I don’t want to invest a ton of money. Also don’t want huge shrubbery or anything as permanent blockage. Something where I can still see the backyard fully if I choose to.

Also, how would you see string lights being use in here? Only one plug by the door. Solar lights won’t work unless I’m missing something? I need fresh takes on this! Any tips on how to cozy up this big, open screened porch welcome! :)

Comments (12)

• jck910
    15 days ago

Love your porch so jealous always wanted a screen porch. Privacy from what? The back neighbor? A couple of evergreens on the back fence might work.

• auntthelma
    15 days ago

Does the area get sun? It looks shady in the pictures. I had success with hostas along the perimiter of our screened porch. theybgrow lush within a short time and are very easy to care for. Then, add hangers tomhang annual baskets in the upper section giving a nice sense of privacy without blocking the view.

• Anna Pour
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Unfortunately the deer here will eat hostas down nothing within the first week of being planted. I’ve never thought of the hanging baskets right there, though! Great idea! That has my brain going in a different direction now…

• elcieg
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

How tall are the backyard neighbors?

• ptreckel
    15 days ago

Unless you are standing all the time, why would you want to block your view of your yard when you are sitting down. That is what you are thinking of doing? I am not clear. Yes to planting other trees, like arborvitae or juniper along your fence line to ensure privacy. You ask about little lights? What do you do on your porch? Watch tv? Read? Eat? Consider your lighting needs for that. You should, perhaps, contact an electrician for more electrical outlets to be installed for lamp lights, additional ceiling lights or fans, and, if you desire, perimeter lights in the room. I have secured a degree of privacy in our glassed in porch by hanging indoor/outdoor drapery panels along the side of our porch closest to our neighbor. They filter the light, but do not block it. Pottery Barn sells some that you might consider.

• D M PNW
    14 days ago

Landscaping with a variety of shrubs and small trees along the fences would solve the privacy issue. I would not want to see that much fence.

• jackowskib
    14 days ago

If it's something you want to be able to block view/unblock view when you desire, I'm thinking to get a panel of foam board (usually white) and cut to size for each square opening. Prop them in place as needed to block the view.

• eld6161
    14 days ago

I agree with Jck. I would want fast-growing tall trees. I'm sure your neighbor has better things to do than look your porch but it does fell like you are living in a fish bowl.

If. tall trees are not an option, I would do fluffy shrugs near the foundation. Your view is of a simple yard, not something interesting to sit and observe.

Personal, if it bothered me, I would invest in custom shades.

• beesneeds
    14 days ago

How do you want to utilize solar lights? String lights across the ceiling, around windows, what? It looks like you are getting some sun in a couple pics. If it's enough for a good charge or not I don't know. But depending on the lights the panels can be placed to catch sun pretty easy. I have some string lights in my enclosed porch across the ceiling. They have little 3x3" panels. I just have them in a sunny window and it works nicely.

Maybe use roll bamboo screening for your panels? Or frame pretty fabric that give privacy, and still allows light in. Make the panels so the can be taken in and out as you like.

• vee
    14 days ago

In order to achieve the privacy you are seeking you must design with the concept of near and far, today and tomorrow. There are two areas to consider: back fence area and near patio. I would suggest planting a branching under canopy tree such as a filtered shade tolerant dogwood. You need to do some homework regarding trees for you climate zone. Best to choose native plants. As far as the near patio planting: buy a quick growing shrub. Planted at least 3 ft away from the screen, that will screen the view in and out until the back tree is large enough to be an effective screen. Then significantly prune or eliminate the near shrub. This whole design will take years to achieve , so be patient and enjoy the process.

• D M PNW
    14 days ago

Fabric panel hung on a tension rod would also work and be easily removable when needed.

• Jennz9b
    14 days ago

What a great screened porch! i think you want to address privacy by planting trees along the back fence!