Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pscheele

90's Exterior Paint Dilemma - Brick AND Siding

pscheele
12 days ago
last modified: 6 days ago

We just moved in to a 90's home, and learned we cannot paint the brick which foiled all out plans. We MAY be able to "wash" the brick though. I loved the idea of a moody exterior but not sure that will work. Not currently in the budget to get new windows, and grey roof was only just replaced 5 years ago :( Blue door will definitely be going!!!

Comments (12)

• pscheele
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Up close color of the brick

• wdccruise
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The brick on your house is pinker than the red brick on this house but I think the green paint looks great. Somebody else here can certainly tell you if the pink and green are really compatible.

The house in this Behr Neutral Craftsman Ranch inspiration photo has similar brick to yours. If you didn't want to use the brighter Platinum paint for the siding you could use the Classic Silver for the siding, Platinum for the garage doors (and Midnight Blue for the front door).

• pscheele
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Ohhh thank you! I like that green idea - I hadn't even considered green. And yes - the brick really is pink isn't it!!!

• pscheele
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

Maybe lighter would be better?

• Kendrah
    10 days ago

Are the window muntins removeable? If so, taking them out with have a huge impact and tone down the business of the facade.

When you say you can't paint them do you mean a HOA won't allow you to or the bricks are not paintable?

pscheele thanked Kendrah
  • HU-187528210
    10 days ago

I’d do all white.

pscheele thanked HU-187528210
  • wdccruise
    10 days ago

"Maybe lighter would be better?"

The Behr inspiration Neutral Craftsman Ranch is light.

pscheele thanked wdccruise
  • tracefloyd
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Sherwin Williams' Conservative Gray and Austere gray both have a nice light gray/green that would be beautiful with your nice brick, even if you wash it. If you want moody, SW has darker versions, Evergreen Fog. Dried Thyme.

pscheele thanked tracefloyd
  • pscheele
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@kendrah - unfortunately the window muntins are not removeable! And the HOA will not allow us to paint the bricks :(

• pscheele
    Original Author
    6 days ago

@tracefloyd thanks for the options!!! I like those :)

• pscheele
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Thanks Patricia!! I am having someone come out and bid the cost of replacing the windows just to see, because the grids are not removable. I will also ask them about removing the arched windows.

What color is that grey?