Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worthyvess

Color changes in paint formulations

worthyvess
15 days ago

Starting a new thread because I need information as soon as possible.
I finally picked a color (sort of) for my siding.
It was a custom color match from Behr Sculptor Clay to Sherwin Williams.
The initial formula from the colorimeter (is that correct?) needed to be tweaked. It seemed like a good job.
But it was a little pink in some lights. So, as much of the red as possible was removed, without reverting to the original, in a sample size. But it was more green than I wanted; it needed a touch more red.
So I had him make me a gallon, where, mathematically, he should have been able to add a touch more red. Wanted it to be between the two formulations.
Came out completely wrong - too light, too pink. Looks to my eye that it needs more black and yellow. Yet the formula on the can looks identical to his first sample. (So shouldn’t it look the same as that? Or at least close?
Before I bother this poor dear man again, can anyone tell me what might have gone wrong? Does it change when you go from a sample to the actual paint (Duration in satin?)
Please help!

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 days ago

Once you go down the formula rabbit hole, there's no way out. With every iteration is gets less likely it's going to turn out successfully.

Sherwin Williams Worldly Gray is very similar to Sculptor Clay. Letting go of the color match idea and just choosing a SW color is an option.

• beesneeds
    13 days ago

It might be that you started with mixing a custom color, then tweaked it too much past the custom. Sometimes you dig a hole you can't get out of. Maybe try going back to Behr for their color instead?

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you so much Lori and beesneeds!
    I know I should have done what you’re saying! I just couldn’t find a color I loved. But Worldly gray is another option, I just tried the chip next to my sample board and man it’s close! My husband just said to me, where has Worldly gray been all my life? I didn’t initially like it ( had other visions) but after painting all the samples I picked (7 or so?) on the house, my thoughts have evolved.
    After I painted the new mix (a gallon!) on a board (and after losing a night’s sleep over it!) I realized it wasn’t as bad as I thought. It actually accomplished pretty much the goal of getting between the two iterations of the custom formula. I actually like the custom color better than the Sculptor Clay but I’m afraid it will look pink on my massive side wall of the house.
    Any opinions on how worldly gray reads? I’m 1200 miles away right now! But might buy a sample and paint it on my board. Hate to hold the guy up, it is going to get hotter and tickier as time marches on!
    Hopefully it will rain and he won’t want to paint until I get back there and try the worldly gray.
    Was hoping you’d chime in Lori! I am super grateful! Thanks again to both of you.

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Behr Sculptor clay (SC)
    SW SC mix 3 (between 1 and 2)
    SW SC mix 1
    SW SC mix 2 (less red)
    The other two are Bungalow beige modified and original, too brown in real life on the house.

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    11 days ago

To the left of the door is SC, to the right is SW mix 3, which is also to the left of the garage. Looks nice with the cedar but looks pink on the side of the house! Front faces south, side faces east.

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    11 days ago

The two samples on the left were the ones in contention.

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    7 days ago

I don’t want to start a new thread - hoping I will get responses here.
    I just found a sherwin Williams color that is close to Sculptor Clay… Slumber Sloth. I might like it better! Just received my Samplize sample of that and High Sierra.
    Anyone use either, and how do they read? I have to decide from a thousand miles away, he wants to start Monday!

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    7 days ago

That is extremely helpful Lori, thank you so much!!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago

You're welcome. Best of luck. It's not easy making long distance color decisions. But you've done all the right things possible. You got this. 🌈

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    6 days ago

You’re the best, really. So generous with your knowledge.
    Hoping it rains next week so it holds him up lol!!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    6 days ago

Nah, you're ready. Just get er done. 💪

• worthyvess
    Original Author
    4 days ago

I got a reprieve!! He’s waiting till next week when I’m home.
    The color he mixed actually came out correctly, (my complaint was unfounded), but I just wasn’t in love with it. But I’m glad for the responses and color education!
    I will update my other post next week because I have pictures there, in case anyone is looking for pictures and impressions of the colors I considered and what I end up using.
    Thanks again!!