Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahg_mgdv

seeking input on kitchen and mudroom renovation!

A G
12 days ago

Posted plans here months ago when I was totally lost, and the response was amazing and thoughtful and led us to rethink everything (in a great way)!!

Since then, we’ve been working with an architect on a kitchen and mudroom renovation for our 1905 New England home. For context in terms of how we live: we’re a couple in our thirties who will have a two year old and a new baby by the time this kitchen exists. We like to cook and entertain but certainly aren’t professional chefs!

I’m now coming back to this hive with less of a specific design “dilemma” and more just seeking input and commentary. Thoughts? Ideas? Are there glaring problems? Tweaks that would make this way better?

I am incredibly open to input and so grateful to this community for the zillions of threads that have been useful to me in this process and for the specific responses to my previous inquiry. Thank you!

I’m attaching the original floor plan, the proposed new floor plan, and a 3D mock-up. Also including a few pictures of the butlers pantry for flavor — we are hoping to leave most of it intact with some rehabbing of the cabinetry, new countertops, and the addition of a drinks fridge.

Comments (5)

• 3onthetree
    12 days ago

From what I gather, your major points of criteria/programming was:

1. need a mudroom

2. socialize/cook, need better flow with multiple people, prep not stuck in corner next to stove

3. keep unused Butler's look as is, although worn functionally.

4. never eat in Formal Dining, provide casual eating

5. numbers are increasing, but will spend $200K for right plan if have to

This iteration is much better than the first schemes. Because I'm detached from this, I can look at it on paper (figuratively and literally) from a more clinical point of view:

1. The Mudroom is very successful. I really love how you step down and the small closet is a buffer which all relates to the bench below. It seems to fit naturally in a 1905 house, the exterior planter included. The small addition allowing the kitchen to take a pure rectangle shape I think is the key point. The disproportionally high expense of such a small addition and moving the garage door seems like the money spent will justify the value added.

2. Prep is still stuck in the corner next to stove, but at least there are corner windows now. I question if this style of fenestration fits with a 1905 house, having very rigid rooms and door entries to rooms, one window looks to the garage wall, and the existing skylight has shifted to the corner.

When you look at the 3-D with the vaulted ceiling, thinking of a 1905 house being kept intact, the kitchen seems off balance to me. I would expect a formality to the layout, meaning a central stove focal point with maybe windows (or transoms) and/or skylights flanking it, and a more stout hood to fit the high proportions of the room.

It appears the beam will visually cut through the top of the ref. There is an existing post behind the sink for this existing beam that has been magically removed too. IMO when you have such a prominent change in the "canvas" (the ceiling vault, beam, and post delineate a different space), the "oil paints" (cabinets, layout, etc) should support that delineation. Also, the large expense involved with a corner window, moving the skylight, and removing the post (if that's the case) doesn't seem to have the same payoff in supporting the new kitchen layout.

3. My thoughts are when spending $200K, you can relocate the exact cabinetry of the Butler's anywhere and recreate it. With that budget you should have an opportunity of sliding the Dining Room wall in 2' if it helps the kitchen design or flow into the Kitchen (rather than the tight turns into the Servant Hall and by the louvered door).

4. If the small Storage door next to FP turned to the hall, that would allow a longer blank wall for a larger rectangle table, more seating for the social aspect of the Kitchen, and visually more circulation to the deck door. Also, for a $200K project in a 1905 house I would have a french door instead of a slider.

5. I'll be frank, when I look at the old plan and compare to the new plan, I do not see a huge functional or aesthetic difference meeting $200K. But I do think the blocking out and conception of the layout is the right direction.

• A G
    Original Author
    11 days ago

That’s really helpful. Which door are you talking about in #4? Small storage door next to FP?

• 3onthetree
    11 days ago

I did a primitive sketch to at least show you my point of reference, when I say a $200K remodel I would expect a sea change in function and aesthetics. This is only a thought scheme, but maybe shows a hint (so something like circulation past the ref is not developed) of how you can bring in a bit of modern living yet keep the formality of a 1905 house. The main concept revolves around trying to exploit the feature of the existing vaulted roof delineation rather than have it an afterthought. While trying to connect the flow visually and functionally to the dining, and open up the heart of the home more to the rest of the house.

• rebunky
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I was playing with the idea of a corner sink. Normally I would not recommend one, but I think it makes sense here.

It would be similar to this.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

First architects are rarely KDs at all. All those base cabinets should be drawers for a start, no upper on the range wall with those windows . In fact not sure whay a corner window at all. Isee not actual lighting plan and thta is a must I see no reason for that sky light either . No corner sink and other than that I need a to scale floor plan I can read with all measurements clearly marked on graph paper posted here in jepg format in a comment. I like butlers pantries when placed where tey make sense for entertaining but to me that one is too far away from the working space in the kitchen . No open shelving in a kitchen ever IMO . I think you cluld do a lot better with a good independant KD ther eis nothing really awesome about the layout and a trip across the space everytime you want to prep is bad planning. Post the new floor plan here in a comment DO NOT start another post . I would have done a window on eithr side of that range no corner one