Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kama11

Climbing Roses for 6' fence in small garden

kama11
11 days ago
last modified: 11 days ago

Hello,

Im new to posting here but I’ve been following posts in that forum and I’m really impressed how helpful and knowledgeable answers are, I’m hoping you can help me choose because I’m spending hours and hours on thinking what to choose but can’t decide.

I grew up around plants but I’m pretty new to roses. I have small garden in NYC,

zone 7B. I’m looking for some easy, health climbing/rambling roses ( I think I have room for two at least)

that would intertwine and cover my 6 feet tall trellis/fence (south facing) ( its 12 feet long; 6 feet has good sun and rest has morning sun and rest later gest shade from a building). Last year I planted Ebb Tide and Top Cream so it would be great if new ones would match.

My garden is between houses so there is some shade early in a morning and later afternoon (but my

I’m looking for something that would grow quite fast (can’t wait to have some beauty and privacy in my back yard) and was blooming contiously.

One in slight to medium pink/lavender color , other could be more pastel or gold yellow? romantic cottage style. Rose that once established can be drought resistant. At least one of them bee friendly.

Ive been thinking about New Dawn (grows fast, easy, low water needs but I’m afraid it might swallow my garden; or is easy to keep it in check?)

Lavender Lassie (beautiful but isn’t it slow grower? and again I’m worried about the size (could i train it side ways maybe?) and water needs.

Pink Prosperity ?

Blush Noisette (love the color and that its supposed to be just right size but I’ve read its very slow grower)

Buff Beauty? or Rise up lilac days? So many roses to choose but Im not sure any of them.

Comments (15)

• Marlorena
    10 days ago

ttt

Just pushing this 'to the top' hoping more will see your post.. I'm in England so cannot be of much use to you although I've grown most of those you mention. I do hope you get Rise Up Lilac Days as I love this rose, either for an arch or more shrub like on a fence, as I have it currently. It flowers almost continuously and such a lovely colour, and top it all, it's virtually thornless.

I also have Lavender Lassie, yet a bit slow to start here for me, but that suits as I don't want huge monster roses anymore, but I am training it sideways on trellis, so perfectly fine for that.

I never found Blush Noisette slow here, took off like a rocket, shrub, climber or rambler, if you have the same clone as we do, I found it very versatile.

I think there are better ramblers than New Dawn these days, but I managed to control it, it doesn't have to get huge if you don't want it that way, but some people like to just let things grow without management. I found its parent 'Dr. Van Fleet' less easy to deal with.

Hope you find something you like and hear from more people to answer your questions.

kama11 thanked Marlorena
  • kama11
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thank you so much for your answer, it’s very helpful and really appreciate it; how tall is your Rise up Lavender Days? Is it tall enough for 6’ fence/trellis? Is it thick enough to give privacy?

• kama11 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Marlorena
    10 days ago

Teasing Georgia is a good one actually, I've had that too, grew quite large.

kama11,

Well I don't know about privacy, if that was a concern I'd want a large evergreen or something like a big Buddleia I suppose. Rise Up Lilac Days or 'Lilac Bouquet' as we call it here, is a bushy rose but worth growing for its rose value rather than anything else, so I'm not best placed to advise on the privacy issue.

This is it right now, the top part is almost height of the fence - 6 feet or will be in a few weeks time. It will also grow as a rambler if given suitable support. I'm aiming to go sideways with it.

kama11 thanked Marlorena
  • Heather RR (PNW 8b)
    10 days ago

If your goal is fast growing and coverage you may be better off getting a climbing rose on the larger side like New Dawn and keeping it in check rather than hoping a smaller one will fill in the space exactly.

I have had some good experiences with DA climbers, they can get big but tend to be easier to manage than the Hybrid Wichuranas like New Dawn or house eaters like Cecile Brunner. If your space is small you might also consider a thornless rose like Raspberry Cream Swirl, I have this one next to a small gate and its quickly becoming a favorite though you have to be okay with stripes 😄 Lady Banks is another one thst is a large fast growing once bloomer but can be kept in check and is almost evergreen in my zone, not sure about yours, someone else may be able to chime in.

with any rose it will take a few years to take off, as they say - first they sleep, then they creep, finally they leap. It generally takes about three years for any plant including roses to take off but once they do they will really take off. So even a fast grower will take some time to give you full coverage.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    10 days ago

The only climber that I grow is Quicksilver, a healthy, bloomy lavender with a nice fragrance

3 years old

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 days ago

Kristine , that is so beautiful!! But I’m shocked that’s your only climber !! You need more !! What’s stopping you ?! 😂

• Diane Brakefield
    10 days ago

When you get to be a certain age, Lilyfinch, climbing to prune climbing roses is just too darn dangerous. I work on my Colette with my adult granddaughter, Clare. She does the climbing. I know New Dawn remains popular, and I've grown several, but I can't recommend it. It's one aggressive rose. I love my climber Colette shown here. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    10 days ago

Golden Celebration might be a possibility, too. Mine is about 9 feet tall with flexible canes, though I grow it upright. It drapes well with its neighbor, Boscobel. Diane

kama11 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • kama11
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Diane, your roses are beutiful together. Im confused; I checked Golden Celebration on DA website and it says that it grows 4 1/2 feet; and you said your rose is 9 feet tall; is it common for roses to be so diferent in sizes?

• kama11
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Lilyfinch, I think I’ll pas on New Dawn I preder roses with leaves on ;) and I need something easier to manage. Thank you for all the pictures, your roses are beautiful and so much easier to visualize that way. I looked at Lavender Siluetta and I also found Romantic Siluetta. They are amazing, I love the color and flowers shape,I fell in love I think I checked everywhere but unfortunately I dont see anyone selling them in USA anymore :(

• Diane Brakefield
    10 days ago

In my garden Austin roses can grow to very large sizes, and most of the time I don't mind it. It's dry and hot here with no fungal disease, and all my roses are large. I think the absence of blackspot is a factor. Roses can expend their energy growing and blooming, not replacing diseased leaves. Long, hot sunny days in summer seem to please the roses, too, plus a lot of water via the drip system. Austins grow large in California, too, and other places roses just naturally like to grow in. I never pay any attention to sellers rose size estimates. And for me, roses are part of a cottage garden landscape, so a line of weenie little roses doesn't appeal to me at all. Diane

• kama11
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Marlorena, thank you for a photo, it really helps to see how rose looks in reall situation.

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    10 days ago

I adore Climbing Pinkie. One single bloom taken on its own is nothing to write home about but the overall effect with cluster is absolutely adorable. Very romantic with that baby pink, innocent color.