Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkmmax60

Upholstered Headboard Help!

Michelle Moss
16 days ago

We are looking for an upholstered king size headboard/footboard. I notice they come in 48” and 60” tall. Our ceilings are 9’.
Trying to decide which size would be a better look! Thank you!

Comments (10)

• jackowskib
    16 days ago

Can you post a photo of the space? You don't mention width of wall or if there are any windows, etc. to consider. Or if you have special artwork planned for above headboard?

• ilikefriday
    16 days ago

It is almost impossible to to give a recommendation without seeing photos of the space. Do you have any that you can post?

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

I think you might want to go shorter. But of course seeing the space would be more helpfu.

These are 9 foot ceilings with upholstered beds.

Traditional Master Bedroom · More Info

2012 Baltimore Symphony Decorators Show House · More Info

Westmont · More Info

• Michelle Moss
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Here is the space. It is 14’x 17’. I’m looking at a bed pictured below. Hope that helps. The other choice would be 48” tall. These are the total measurements from the bottom of bed to the top of the headboard.

• marmiegard_z7b
    16 days ago

I think it also depends on how high is the mattress, which affects how high are the tops of bedside tables , and whether you like the resulting proportions. And what wall it will go on.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    16 days ago
    last modified: 16 days ago

Depends how much of headboard you want to "show".

I can only say I routinely use a 56" height for custom headboard, floor to top of headboard - as that mattress depth is quite common in a lot of homes, as are 9' ceilings. My own is 56" with an eight foot ceiling.

You will have a full four feet above the bed, with 60 inch height. No issue.

A 48 inch height will make the look of that RH bed, more modern than the one used in your picture.

A masking tape test on your wall is an easy "decider" . right? Just use a tape measure: )

• Maureen
    16 days ago

In the end though, it’s a preference. Take into consideration the height/volume of the nightstands/lamps. With the dimensions of your room be careful the height doesn’t take over, unless you want it to be a feature.

• Boxerpal
    16 days ago

Maybe you could take some tape and tape the size of the head board against the wall.

For me, if my ceilings were low I would not want something big and high that would add more heaviness to the space.

I love our upholstered headboard and I am sure you will love yours too.

• jo mu
    16 days ago

I'd go with 60 I think tallers is better than too short

With all the pillows and thick mattresses these days it'll eat away at that height

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    15 days ago