Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Oh no, tree leader broken off

Hello all,

I have a very small Acer Saccharum that is still in its pot. It was not leafed out when I bought it. Something, a deer is a likely suspect, broke off the leader. The tree has now leafed out, but without a leader.

How unattractive/unhealthy will it be as it grows if I plant it now? Would it look awful in the front yard where I planned to have it replace a very old, very large oak (yes, I know I will never see it grow that large, but someone will). Should I plant it out back and just let it do as it darn well pleases? I do have a spot I could clear of some awful liriope someone who shall remain nameless planted and even if it looks bad, it will block the view from the porch to a neighbor's house for 3/4th of the year. Should I let it go and try with another?

Thank you for any thoughts, ideas, opinions, comments, criticisms. I just hate giving up on a tree.

Cynthia

Comments (14)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    15 days ago

You would be surprised what trees can overcome. I would probably plant it in back and get another fro the front. You are smart to buy a small one. They actually grow faster than the bigger ones.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Thanks, Sherry. Not so much smart, although I did know that small ones will catch up just fine. Mostly it is due to the fact that I am 72 and not the hole digger, I used to be. ;-)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    15 days ago

We must be twins! I'm 72, also.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • cecily 7A
    15 days ago

I wish you could post a photo. Since the tree is small, it may releader and go on to develop a straight trunk over time.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked cecily 7A
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    15 days ago
    last modified: 15 days ago

I tried, but will try again. Nope, not working. It looks like it posts, but then the post shows up without the photos. Aaaaarrrrggghhh .

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Bill, thanks. I have never had difficulty before. The photos just either aren't fully loading (after waiting just now for more than ten minutes) or there is a glitch with my account or my computer. Ugh. ETA: Tried on another forum, and same thing happened. I wait until the submit buttonturns dark green and then hit submit. Nada.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 days ago

I have beat trees back with a weed eater before noticing what they are and deciding to let em live.

They would have been happier w/o but young healthy saplings are used to this.

So if your maple is otherwise healthy I think it will be ok. A proper pruning cut would help though.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Toronado, I will plant it and let it grow a bit. Then, if I ever get a photo to load, I will get your and others' advice on proper pruning. I have gotten better at that, but still not really proficient, or even decent to be honest. Sigh.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    15 days ago

@ cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)Original Author

The only other thing I can think of is pictures that have a larger file size i.e. =>4800 x height can be a problem on this site.

I many times reduce the file size to something like 1800 W. x Height and haven't had a problem.

Also iphones have a default HEIC file type setting. Changing it to .png or .jpg might help.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    15 days ago

Plant the tree and by the end of the season, you'll have a new leader that's twice as long as the old one. Small, healthy trees are not that fragile.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 days ago

I take a sceen cap or use a phone program called Picsay to create medium sized versions of photos frequently if that helps.

cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) thanked Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
  • mntreegrower
    13 days ago

As others have said, need a picture. Is there a pliable, skinny side branch you can bend upward to make a new leader with? You can fix broken/stunted/frost damaged leaders easily with a small but strong piece of bamboo and some plant tie ribbon. Or even by just tying that side branch to the remaining dead or broken nub of the original leader.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 days ago

all trees releader ... even if you mow them over with the riding lawnmower in some drunken lawnmowing misadventure...

tree time is counted in decades.. give it 2 or 3 years to recover.. then do some pruning to train it back to one leader.. etc..

nbd ... imo .. wtf... obo.. bogo.. etc.. lol

ken