Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sch_01

Two tier drawer in 3 stack

sch_01
16 days ago

Does anyone have a two tier drawer in the deeper drawers of a 3 stack drawer lower cabinet? Im considering this for the middle drawers in both my 24 inch cabinet (for Tupperware in the middle drawer) and 30 inch cabinet (for shallower pots/lids) but I do not know if it is useful and cannot find many pictures online

Comments (11)

• chispa
    16 days ago

Personally I really dislike a drawer inside a drawer. Why create a two-step motion when you can just have one. I do a mix of 3-drawer stacks and 4-drawer stacks to accommodate different items.

• Candace
    16 days ago

I have a couple drawers within drawers - this one holds my placemats… the other one is in the trash pullout that holds my trash bags. They do come in handy if you have a use for them! This drawer really isn’t used for anything else (we lost our home in a wildfire a couple years ago and have (yay!) several empty drawers and cabinets that have yet to be filled with anything useful :)

• sch_01
    Original Author
    16 days ago

I’m sorry to hear about the wildfire but glad you seem to feel decluterring was an upside! Is that a 3 stack and how deep is the second drawer that uou have two tiered? Would it be too shallow for glass tupperware?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    16 days ago

I have ikea cabinets and most of my kitchen uses the two drawer configuration with 15” drawers. In some of them I added a second hidden drawer. They work well.

• sch_01
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks. I definitely need 3.

• AnnKH
    16 days ago

As with most storage options, it all depends on exactly what you will store there. If the "drawer within" is used for rarely used items, AND the drawer below is deep enough for what you need to store there, it would be a great solution. If both drawers hold things used together (tupperware and lids, tablecloths and placemats), that might make sense. Even better if the drawer stack is not in the heart of the kitchen, where all the drawers should hold often-used items.

The only advantage I can see is adding a drawer while maintaining the look of a 3-drawer stack. In most cases I would prefer just having 4 drawer fronts.

• sch_01
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Isnt the drawer inside auch that it is still 3 drawers? I was thinking lids in the top tier, yes. And tupperware in actual drawer but having never seen one in person, I am not sure it it makes the drawer less useful bc half is hidden?

• AnnKH
    16 days ago

A drawer within a drawer turns that drawer into 2 (notice it requires 2 sets of drawer glides). If both sets of glides are full extension, nothing should be hidden. You have a top drawer that can only be opened when the bottom one is opened, because the drawer front is only attached to the bottom drawer. And you have a bottom drawer that is not as deep as it could be.

We did keep leftover containers in a drawer in our previous house. It worked pretty well, but in our current house we keep them in upper cabinets, which I prefer. As always, the best solution for YOU depends on your overall storage plan.

• sch_01
    Original Author
    16 days ago

Thanks!

• lharpie
    16 days ago

i would just do more drawers if i needed shallow drawers. we have some 4 drawer stacks. i like being able to fully open everything.

sch_01 thanked lharpie