Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Way too much water drain noise from dishwasher

jaxo
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

When the water drains from the dishwasher, the noise from water and air gurgling through the air gap and sink drains is very loud. The rest of the Bosch dishwasher cycle noise is very quiet, but the gurgling noise during each drain cycle ruins it. I put an upside down plastic drinking glass over the air gap and put stoppers in the sink and it helps a bit, but it's still too loud.

The dishwasher is to the left of a double sink and there is a garbage disposer under the left sink.

Is there any way to to severely reduce these noises?

I thinking of replacing the dishwasher with a Miele that has the built-in check valve with the weighted ball the seals the drain line after each drain cycle. I would then have the air gap removed and capped. The last time I asked the building inspector (5 years ago) he said an air gap is required here *unless* the dishwasher manufacturer documents that they have other methods to prevent backflow and the Miele dishwashers qualify.

However, since I don't really need a new dishwasher, is there any way to just redo the plumbing so the noise made by the water draining from the dishwasher is greatly reduced/muffled?

Comments (17)

• User
    6 years ago

You are going to hear the water draining regardless of dishwasher brand. However, you can ensure there is no low spot in the line to the air gap (so water doesn't gurgle through the line).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Install the dishwasher drain hose over the top of the sink cabinet and get rid of the air gap. I won't tell inspection.

• whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago

Bosch dishwashers have a rubber flap inside the drain line to prevent water from re-entering the unit.

• whirlpool_trainee
    6 years ago

From the service manual:

• dadoes
    6 years ago

You're probably going to have noises coming from the drain/disposer even without an air gap involved ... but setting the drain stoppers in place may have more of an effect without the air gap also being a source.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m also hearing some increased drain pump motor hum compared to when the dishwasher was new which probably means it’s time for a new pump. However, the noise of air and water gurgling dwarfs that noise, so I want a solution for that problem before replacing the pump or switching to Miele.

• User
    6 years ago

Did you look at the line to your air gap?

• jaxo
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The drain hose goes straight up from the bottom of the dishwasher to the air gap on the counter.

• Vith
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Kind of depends on what your jurisdiction requires on why it is there. If it is super annoying you can do a high water loop and get rid of the air gap. There will still be gurgling drain noise coming from the sink drain. I guess if your air gap is excessively loud for some reason then maybe worth removing but I am not sure.

The high loop or air gap is there so sink drain water doesnt end up in the dishwasher.

Thinking outside of the box, I guess you would need a nonconventional installation if you want no noise. Something similar to a washing machine standpipe setup with its own separate trap but under the sink.

• Mighty Munchkin
    4 years ago

Put the dishwasher drain on the outlet end of the s bend.

• kaseki
    4 years ago

The following idea, which I adopted, was likely revealed on the Kitchen Forum about 2008 or so.

The idea is to use a stand pipe, like washing machines use, mounted inside the sink cabinet where there is room to bring it near to the underside of the counter. Tilt the pipe slightly so the water runs along the side. Use a trap at the bottom. Meet all the IPC regulations for this approach. See §802.1.6 to start. No other air gap is needed, as there is one at the top of the stand pipe. Mine is quite silent with a Miele Optima.

• Stax
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Does the dishwasher drain thru a knockout into the Garbage Disposal?

• HU-571128085
    4 years ago

Answering Stax question above, I have same problem and, yes, empties into disposal.

just had dishwasher replaced today, previous dishwasher never made this much noise. 😞😞

• ncnwi
    4 years ago

I just had my Bosch dishwasher replaced with another and it drains (into the sink) so much louder than the last. I'm disappointed.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Close the drain stoppers when running it.

• tjsinclair13
    16 days ago

If possible have another drain pipe and p-trap installed just for the dishwasher and have it tied in to the sink drain below the cabinet or in the basement or crawl space. Then you won’t hear a thing. I have this set up but that drain got clogged and was error coding the DW so I tried to save money and tapped it into the sink drain under the cabinet myself and now I wish I hadn’t because the draining is very loud in the sink. I’m going to switch it back once my plumber is free to come and snake the DW drain. Lessons learned.