Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmalargo

Final touches on our new guest area

Alice Edwards
last year

Please be so kind as to help me finish our new guest bedroom. My old post has disappeared and probably a blessing in disguise! I have all the furniture in the only spots they fit in here. Is a small narrow bedroom (9’ x 13’)

Just received my third and final bedspread today and it seems to match my bird art frames above the bed. I realize i may need a bit more fluff in the bed although the buttons along the foot are really something i like. And I still want to paint the headboard and refinish the nightstand is where I am at now.

The rattan chair and armoire have a bit of different styles but I am keeping them in here and I just hung the new curtains.

I have attempted to keep my new post here brief but informative. The wall with the straw hat is something i’m working in and hopefully can make it work. I’m really not wishing to have this room formal, just pleasant and the vintage french (not too country) was my original wishes, hopefully I can gather help from us Houzzers to get this room more complete. The adjoining bathroom we added here has made me so happy with everyone’s help. I’ll show pictures as well of that here too.

We really stretched our budget on the bathroom addition, so i’m only able to move forward with most the items i already have here.

Everyone’s welcome here as you all know me here and always appreciate the help and fun we’ve had thus far.

I’m stubborn and will bot give up on finalizing, lol.

Comments (15K)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

These just blanket the entire back yard for weeks!

• btydrvn
    yesterday

These little trees turn all green.. but add a little color for spring

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    yesterday

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Alice…please forgive me..all of those were planted almost 30 years ago!..this one too

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Very pretty up close

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Kinda miraculous when you think about it..

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Guess gardeners like us just have to learn to love raking..I still do but my back…not so much

• printesa
    yesterday

Back indoors, showered and cleaned:) I didn't finish the flower bed, but I did make a dent. I was there for almost 2 hours..the breeze was nice, but still warm at 80F at 7pm

Beautiful plants bty! From what I can tell, you have Nandina bamboo..i have the mini version..the regular one was a pain to remove and I still pull seedlings..The white flowers look like candytuft. The green flowers look like a type of euphorbia.

• btydrvn
    yesterday

Printesa! I think you nailed it…those names are right on…a testament to how some plants are just survivors…I have really just let the willing plants take over in most areas…since my main pleasure these days are swinging in the hammock..and soaking in the jacuzzi…until our outdoor living room is open for business..(when it gets warm enough)..then it is outdoor living all day…

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    23 hours ago

My flower beds have been in my mind all day. My plan is not too cost worthy I’m thinking? If I have to build up the back along the house with soil, then I need a non wood barrier back there too. Then fill the flower beds with how many bags of soil to place pavers for my bird baths. May just fill gully with gravel and then paver patio type areas for bird baths and big pots for flowers? Let my yard grass, which needs much tlc as well grow in there? Use weed eater? I’m just thinking out loud. Probably should google this lol. Of course pots are expensive too? May need six? And two bird baths?

• tiffany66
    23 hours ago
    last modified: 23 hours ago

Printesa have you ever thought of using a large tilting patio umbrella to garden under?? OR a small gazebo. When it was really hot here I would just go out late in the day and use a bright flood light where I worked. It sure beat working in 110 degree day temps. This time I'm thinking of one of those long rectangle umbrellas. I like that you can hang that shade cloth that lets the breeze through. But my favorite was the night time gardening.

• btydrvn
    23 hours ago

110 degree weather must have a pretty limited selection of plants that like that much heat?…unless it is dry and you love cactus?..

• printesa
    22 hours ago

tiffany, an umbrella that i could move around would be great..When it gets hot, it's hot even in the shade here..the humidity is the thing that does that. In CA you don't have humidity..I am surprised that it gets that hot in South Cali..in the Bay Area it was cold because of the wind..I liked the temps, but if you wanted to go in the pool, you felt cold because of the cold wind.

Gardening later in the evening is a no no here..mosquitoes have a feast. I have cream that I use, but they always find a spot or if the shirt or pants are thin, they bite me through the clothes..

• happyleg
    22 hours ago

Outside fan also.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

It was very humid in south Florida Everglades but the ocean breezes did make it tolerable. When it gets humid here, which is a lot in spring, just so much moisture coming up off the ground and omg mosquitoes love us then too. Munch munch! I wonder how we stood it. I hate being sticky!!!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

Well I’m sad but glad! Our Zoom going to see the vet tomorrow. First we have to get his upper respiratory cold in order and get some tests done, then he can go back for his surgery.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

We had never let him see his little ones bc we were not sure which way that could go? But I’m sure he has more in the neighborhood, he’s quite a looker 😆

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

On another note, these are all the things I want to keep in the glass cabinet and want to stagger in height and situate so they are mostly displayed nicely in here. I’ll look for a few cake holders(?) as Flo suggested but I’ll need other small shelves also I’m thinking?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    22 hours ago

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    21 hours ago

So sorry to hear about Zoom. And the stress it causes you. To say nothing of the cost. Vets are not cheap. Hoping for the best.

• tiffany66
    21 hours ago

Oh Printesa you are right. I've spent all my adult life in the Sunny CA area and forget about the night critters like mosquitoes etc. The dry weather does have its advantages. Even when its hot, I do get a nice cool ocean breeze this far inland. Even with temps up to 110 the nights are always cool like 70-75 so sleeping is great. I guess I will be in for a few surprises when I spend the Summer in MI this year. But the up side is I should be entertained by a few great thunder and lightening displays. I love watching them.

I've been back to my massage therapist 3 times and she is working out all my muscle kinks. Love this woman and her strong hands. It is finally starting to feel much better. She also uses red light therapy on the back.

I've been reading up on the benefits of Castor Oil and its healing effects. There was a lot on its uses to treat migraine pain. So next time you have one try this:

A natural pain reliever, castor oil is great for relieving headaches and migraines. To help relieve symptoms of migraines and headaches, rub a teaspoon of the oil into your forehead for about a minute. You should start feeling the effects within two to three minutes.

Apparently this oil treats a lot of issues both from the inside to the outside of the body. Supposed to have great healing effects on the skin too.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    21 hours ago

Zoom’s appt is long overdue and he needs help. Sneezy and congested which actually hopefully not is indication of something worse :(. Fingers crossed for him. I know it stresses them, I just hate it for him. He’ll be so much healthier and better off after our examination and some tests. We found a wonderful vet in the next county, not too far that really is reasonable in cost. I have a separate bucket for the fur babies I keep for their medical and it is past time love 💗

• tiffany66
    13 hours ago
    last modified: 13 hours ago

Cabinet Shelving. You can find these at the Dollar Stores and at TJ Maxx stores. They are very solid. I have them in all my upper kitchen cabinets. Love them. Come in White or Black and are very inexpensive.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

Tiffany thank you for posting the wire shelving. I have my plates and saucers using those. Really working great for those. I’m hoping to find a solid topped small tiered shelf (s). The open wire shelf may not let the small items set right? Something like this one but a bit more sections. I may look at some boxes at Hobby Lobby of different sizes heights. I saw the cubes storage as well but those are too boxy contained. Only four may fit.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    11 hours ago

• printesa
    10 hours ago

Good morning ladies! I've been outside early in the morning and made enough progress to finally finish that flower bed today. I was going to stay more, but we got some rain last night and the humidity now is through the roof. I was sweating that you would have thought that I was standing under a shower. It was nice and cool outside, but humidity does not discriminate when it comes to sweat:) I made sure to drink a cup of water with electrolytes when I came inside

OH is going to get a cedar board to replace the broken one from the patio wall where I have my plants. He was going to get one from Lowes, but apparently what they have is full of knots and that will cause it to break. So he is trying a different place where he usually buys lumber..I don't know how he will drive with a 10ft board..

Alice, I hope Zoom will have a good vet visit. Those visits are pricey..

tiffany, I just got a new bottle of castor oil. I use it around the eye. I know it's used for many things..I didn't know about migraines, but thank you for that. I also bought Vit B2 with butterbur supplement for that.. I read in several places that Vit B2 helps with migraines and headaches

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    10 hours ago

Printesa you battled the humidity! Well done! You are a champ. I know you get on a mission and I’m glad you were able to finish that bed. Our skin loves the natural moisture of things! Caster oil does have very good benefits, I think maybe better than coconut oil except for the taste. OH’s mom gave a does to them all daily growing up and he won’t even talk about it now 😂 especially for digestion tract. We just hope we can catch Zoom at vet time which is this afternoon. I could get him now but if he has to use the potty, that would be bad. I cleaned up one of the many carriers we have yesterday, the biggest one and set it with him overnight. He slept on it lol. Little did he know 💗. Good thinking in the knotty cedar, that would not last for you. I hope your hubby can get a piece for you! 10’ lol, he’ll think of something lol. True love :)

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    10 hours ago

I may just order this shelf, it’s free shipping and I’m past ready to move on to other projects here. I have been cleaning cleaning cleaning here inside. Floors and blankets and any surfaces daily. Going to beat the flea season this time. OH got the front yard mowed, allergies still a bit thick here so I’m trying to stay in if at all possible.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    10 hours ago

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    10 hours ago

It’s only $23 and the other one was $22 but with $10 shipping. Ridiculous lol. Not too excited about the sides with the scrolly but that’s ok. And I can paint it if I need to over the white. I think I’de spend more finding separate little items to set and lift everything on in there. I can configure this one many ways.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    7 hours ago

Shelf ordered, we shall see what I can do with it! Ok, where is Zoom? Better find some treats. Very excited to finally get him some help 💗 outdoor tom cat has had some tough goes 😢 and he’s the sweetest thing. He brings all the stickers in from the yard for me at night. I think he just likes me to brush him and comb his fur lol. Wish us luck!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

Got him, just a bit of coaxing! He said how does this happen? Lol.

• happyleg
    6 hours ago

The thrift store or the Goodwill should have those cake holders that's where I got my last one it's milk glass

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    6 hours ago

I love anything milk glass!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    4 hours ago

Zoom passed with flying colors 💗

• liasch
    3 hours ago

Yaa! Vets = $$$.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    2 hours ago

I know! It had to be checked and for his cold we got antibiotics. Flea treatment for him and I must do the yard! After 2 weeks he’ll go back and get neutered. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be $ wise, of course I called first but he needed to be seen for all kitties sake! Not sure if his snotty/sneezy is viral or bacterial. No fever. He was an exceptional patient. He’s been before when he got hit by the car and then almost broke his leg :(. Same vet hospital. Antibiotics will either clear him up in a few weeks or he’ll fight it naturally or he’ll just be snotty she said time will tell. Too soon to tell! We are bathing kittens for fleas in the next few days, get them used to that. We’ll have to put mom in another room bc she’ll go nut’s bc they will squeal lol. Just this time of year is so bad with bugs!

• kcooz07
    2 hours ago

Good news on Zoom! What did the vet think of his congestion and is his neuter scheduled?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    1 hour ago

She said she wasn’t sure if congestion was viral or bacterial but she started him on antibiotics to see if they would help or he’ll fight with his own immunity, then check in two weeks for his surgery.

• kcooz07
    57 minutes ago

Don't delay too long! 🤣 No more 😻.

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    38 minutes ago

Oh I know! Lol, he’s only our second male still alive 😢 around here that we care for. They remembered his broken jaw and leg from a few years ago. They remembered he had a hole in his tongue, I mean this guy has had many set backs :(. He’s 11lbs, not too terribly large. He’ll put on weight after his surgery. I’m surprised we caught him and crated him. You know how that goes with these half wild ones!

• printesa
    35 minutes ago

good to hear that Zoom did well. Hope he will get better once the treatment kicks in.

We need to treat the kitties tomorrow for ticks and whatever else those drops protect them from..

I'm exhausted, but I am glad I managed to finish what I needed to do..I was going to spray the boxwood, but by the time we were done with carrying the pockets, emptying them, all I could think of was getting in the shower and wash all that dirt:) I will spray them in the morning We got the sticky tapes out so those pesky leaf miners get caught, but I need to spray them thoroughly.

Tomorrow we also need to grocery shopping..Our Easter is this Sunday so I need a bunch of things..I am planning to visit the Amish to get a few things..so a bit of a longer drive.

I started the AC last night before I went to bed and in the morning we realized that it's not working..the fan is working, but no cold air. Downstairs it works fine..OH will have to check the unit in the attic and see if the coils are ok..if he can't figure it out, we need to call the AC guy..never a dull moment:)

I hope the shelving works for you. You advanced with everything and so far, everything looks really nice

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 minutes ago

Overall good news! Fingers crossed for Zoom soon and for that surgery!!

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    19 minutes ago

Oh no! The A/C! Of course the a/c. I sure hope it’s a simple fix. Curious what do you spray them with? Not the kitties lol, the plants. Neem oil? They gave us advantage for Zoom. We are not too fond of the chemicals but he needs the strong first application in case he has worms, they did not check his fecal at this appt. Was more concerned with his runny nose. That can be a sign of positive feline virus which is contagious and could be sent through to kittens so we had a a good day 💗 I must find something to spray the yard, I’ll talk to the garden lady tomorrow. The vet suggested 7 dust. It’s good but when it rains, it’s useless. I can keep everyone out of the back yard to spray a good one til it dries. We did a small grocery shop today after we got Zoom back home and got OH prescriptions. Man the meds just keep getting higher. Yes, cheked for discounts. We are about to enter the donut hole :(. The insulin was way cheaper last two refills and I didn’t say a word but there are two others that squeezed us a bit. Insurance told us with the new medication that we would enter hit the limit sooner but of course there are not generic yet on those two but they work well for him protecting his kidneys. Kind of ironic! I started a separate savings account at the first of the year to prepare until perhaps September time frame. Your car Printesa? Do you have that back yet? And was OH able to find your 10’ board and get it home?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    17 minutes ago

Oh! Forgot to ask what are you going to get at the Amish for your Easter Holiday?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    12 minutes ago

Thank you on my marvelous decorating so far lol. I’m actually happy with everything and slowly feeling better about some decisions I made to keep the little ones OUT OF MY STUFF 😝 the sofa and love seat covers so far are working great, of course they are little tikes right now and I’m armed with a water squirt bottle. I really just worry about when I’m not home, but you can only do so much with a kindergarten class indoors 💗

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    12 minutes ago

My new sneakers are heaven, did I tell you I went shopping for new foot wear?

• Alice Edwards
    Original Author
    3 minutes ago

Hi Flo! Your post snuck in on my jabber jaw excursion. Thank you, he needs anything we can throw his way. He’s outdoors 90% of the time bc that’s just how he likes it but it’s more dangerous and risky for everything for those tom boys! He’s been lucky with perhaps 6 lives left. After his surgery he’ll make a better indoor cat. I so wish we had a larger area in back maybe screened in or four season room for them. We have the closed in back porch but it’s only 7’ by 17’ more of a mudroom going out back which does have privacy fence but cats just usually don’t stay in the yard. He’ll get a lot less “Romeo” after his surgery lol.

• printesa
    2 minutes ago

I think we have advantage also for the cats..the drops. We've used them for a while and they seem to work, meaning the kitties are doing ok..They roam everywhere

For the boxwood I spray them with a mix that has spinosad..I think it's called Garden Insect spray from Monterey..those leafminers are awful..they destroy those boxwoods and I really don't want to remove them (they are in the front yard) Neem oil will be used soon on my roses and a few others. I just placed an order for more neem oil because I only have a bit left

Medication costs are insane..I am glad that we don't need any, but my in-laws and my mom do and they were telling me that the prices were crazy high..My mom had to call the doctor to see why the month before one of the meds was $15 and now they were asking 100..it made no sense..I think she figured out how to get the regular price..I am not going to start on medical insurance...ever since the so called affordable act was announced, our insurance doubled..and it keeps going up...something has to change

We got our car last week..we paid an arm and a leg for the repair..It better hold for at least two years:)

OH got the board, but he paid a lot..I asked him if we are doing the pergola with furniture grade lumber:) He realized that after he got it, but hey, we have a nice piece that will soon be covered with the pockets:)

From the Amish I want to get eggs, cheeses, butter, heavy cream, bacon, sausages and we'll see what else:) I like their eggs...they also have those aurocana eggs that are those pastel colors..I could get away with not dying them:))