Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsimber

Wanted! Design guidance for projects, inside and out!

dsimber
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

Several projects are being juggled by my "Houzz mates," and new ones are surely coming. I'll try to keep the current project in "Favorite Answer." This is a continuation of a thread that has gone missing. Several areas are under revision as of Spring 2023. Edited for better photos. Lower left image is mockup from my lost thread. It shows the approximate location of the watercolors we want to avoid blocking as best we can.

Comments (3.4K)

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

I took another photo of the Vanguard Icon Snow. This is close to the true color. In this light, it looks cream! And it is soft. (Just not as soft as the others.) Click to enlarge so you can see texture.

Lia, I wanted something darker, but they just don't have it without the pink, green, or gray undertones. It's hard to believe, but three of us looked. And I had to bring all those swatches home to know. Thus, so many trips.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 days ago

Have you looked at any linens or wools? very durable and do not pill…if you want them to repell water you have the furniture treated every few years….dsimber why are you thinking you need a (armored tank) for fabric on your sofa?

dsimber thanked Home Interiors With Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 days ago

That Crypton fabric I promise you will wear like a armored tank.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Julie, everything was helpful, including the Joss and Main article. Thank you!

• lolainlasvegas
    2 days ago

OK, it appears you know more (via Sabrina) and now, thanks to Julie than you have let on. Hence Hence, my confusion. FWIW, I think all that you have shared would be good aesthetically. I will bow out. Kind of doubt that pursuing Kovi fabrics will do more than just confuse you more, although the pics look good. Possible the weight might not be right. One question; are the Vanguard fabrics part of Norwalk selections? If so, I say get one of those. My brain hurts. I will chime in another time on another topic. Hoping you are feeling more settled❤️

dsimber thanked lolainlasvegas
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 days ago

Oh good dsimber was hoping I helped! I agree if that Crypton Vanguard fabric can go on the sofa you love it is a win! win! it looks beautiful and Ivory..perfect mixed with your color pallette…..get some amazing pillows in soft cuddly fabrics.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago
    last modified: yesterday

Lola, I was just editing one of my responses to you re: the Kovi velvet as well as your question about what happened to the Vanguard fabrics.

[edited to add: Vanguard is a different vendor, but I was told it can be a COM on the Norwalk sofa.]

Re: Sabrina's knowledge, I'm 99.9% sure that I've shared everything she ever told me, at the time she told me, and that includes her explanation of what a performance fabric is. Why would I hold out on you?!

I know I'm a tough cookie. I try to read carefully everything people share. Sometimes, it's enough for me to reconsider. Other times, it helps me reaffirm a decision I've made. Until I have new information. 🤦‍♀️ Thanks for the extraordinary patience shared here. And take a break when you need. ❤️

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Armored tank. Haha. This is the sofa that will get the most use. I'm still hoping for a new grandchild!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago

I've heard and read that linen upholstery fabric stretches and wrinkles. Even though I plan to reupholster my EA Ferri ottomans for this room or another, I love the ivory linen. I keep a tray there, and on the rare occasion that water or white wine has been spilled, it beads up and I have time to grab a cloth to blot it. Easy peasy.

What is the fabric on your Bernhardt sofa, Juile? When you have time, would you please take a photo to show me the texture? I'm serious about meeting with an independent designer to choose a fabric.

• happyleg
    2 days ago

Linen sheets wrinkle. My old chair did none.

dsimber thanked happyleg
  • liasch
    2 days ago

Yes, I would keep the concept of a grandchild in the back of your mind when you’re making these decisions… and are there dogs in the picture somewhere? seems to me I remember dogs.

dsimber thanked liasch
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Thanks, Lia. I want my family to be relaxed when here, especially if they have a child.

The grand-dogs have not been here for a couple of years. It was not my decision, but I must admit I'm relieved. I don't have a fence. They have to be walked if they're here. Also, it's not very relaxing for YS and DIL to have to watch them so carefully here due to their excitement pees. 😩 So...I get my puppy love at their house! And when I take care of them, that's where I stay. So easy to run home if needed. Literally. Only 5 houses away. 😊

• dsimber
    Original Author
    2 days ago

• lolainlasvegas
    2 days ago

Sorry dsimber, guess I wasnt paying close enough attention. Yes Yes, you mentioned hiring designer to help choose fabric. Are you going to go ahead and do it?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    2 days ago

oh dsimber I love Garden Answer! I sent our backyard landscape project to her and she talked about it and was showing all the before and after images on one of her videos..very exciting!

here is a up close of the fabric..I will look up the paper work tomorrow see if I can find the name..it is a performance fabric…it is very soft.

• liasch
    yesterday

Excited pees…😝 yes definitely sounds like something you could do without. Julie, that’s beautiful fabric! What is “Garden Answer”?

dsimber thanked liasch
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

Liasch it is on facebook you can follow her..it is the photo dsimber posted.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

Julie, how exciting that your landscape photos were featured on Garden Answer!

Lia, I saw a video on youtube and grabbed that screenshot. I meant to add more images to the post. I'll need to come back to that later. Errands today.

Love the photo of your sofa fabric, Julie! Thank you so much for sending and for looking for the name. I'd like to see it irl, so the name would help a lot.

(I haven't ruled out Vanguard Icon Snow, but I might regret settling on something I don't absolutely love. I want to enjoy this for years.)

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

One of my errands today is to finalize my choice of a specimen tree to be viewed from the larger, lower level window in that family room.

The tree I wanted, a particular yellow magnolia, is not available. What about this for a medium height tree with a spread no wider than 15' and year-round interest? Zone 5-9. Have any of you had this tree?

I like this a great deal based on the photo and the information I found.

https://www.provenwinners.com/plants/heptacodium/temple-bloom-seven-son-flower-heptacodium-miconioides

Temple of Bloom seven-son flower is a beautiful, easy to grow small tree which simply can't be matched for year-round beauty. In spring, the handsome leaves emerge, each sporting dramatically deep veins that make the plant stand out in the landscape. As the season progresses, the leaves grow larger and develop a long, twisting tip. Come August, when everything else is winding down, Temple of Bloom seven-son flower is just coming into its own, as it becomes covered in big clusters of fragrant white flowers that hummingbirds and other pollinators flock to. They last for weeks before gracefully falling to the ground to reveal vivid red, fan-like bracts, which make it look like the plant is blooming again in a completely different color. As winter comes and the leaves drop, the plant's elegant frame is revealed, along with amazing light tan peeling bark.

>dramatic deep veined leaves in spring

>white blooms, late summer into fall
    >red, fan-like bracts* follow bloom

>elegant frame and light tan peeling bark

*Temple of Bloom™ Seven-Son differs from other Heptacodium on the market in that the bracts (actually sepals) develop a much deeper red color.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

Pretty I have never seen or heard of it….would you ever consider a japanese maple? so many types and sizes..we absolutely loves ours..beautiful spring, summer and Fall….. the leaves open very early spring..took that photo just now…zone5-8

• Parker Murphy
    yesterday

Julie- how do we find your garden on Garden Answer?

Oh, and I saw your drapes in your bedroom. Absolutely gorgeous and elegant. I still love that black caned chair too.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

Julie, I love Japanese maples! Surrounded by the green hedge, yours is striking! So glad you shared.

Sadly, maples are being overused in Iowa communities, and tree loss is occurring from insects and disease. The Iowa DNR is strongly encouraging diversity.

Nevertheless, I requested a dwarf Japanese maple in my back yard plan. Crimsom Queen. Hard to choose leaf type and color, but I chose cutleaf and red.

We had one near our patio under our deck in Maryland, and it leaned over our little garden pond. It was spectacular! So this is for sentimental reasons, too. YS chose it. (From age five, he was such a nut about trees! I love that he still is. This is the beginning of the third year in their first home, and he has planted at least five trees in his back yard. It probably helps that, in his research, he uses trees to remediate water quality issues, so he's around trees all the time! The trees in the indoor lab start out as 6 inches. Haha. Larger now that his project is also in the field. Might not be a coincidence that this is his chosen specialty. 😉)

I'd love to know the other specimen trees you chose. 😊

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

We added a river birch in the back yard another beautiful tree and it loves all the water in the lower back yard area when it rains…and absolutly huge hydrangia bushes..I think they are 10-12’ tall!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    yesterday

We are having a vintage snowball viburnum tree/bush planted in the side front yard in the fall.. very strong…easy care grows just about anywhere.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday
    last modified: 19 hours ago

I've had river birch at my last three properties and loved them! I especially like the clump form, but have had both. Your hydrangeas sound wonderful, as does that snowball viburnum.

My redbuds are leafing out. They are my favorite of all trees for their beautiful pinkish lavender buds. This and another were planted in the middle of a drought last summer, along with shrubs and perennials, and I thought I'd die keeping them watered in the terrible heat. 😩 So happy they survived! Looking forward to their [rapid] growth. Photo is from April 15.

I should have been out there sooner to remove dead foliage on my grasses. Hard to do with knees that don't like to bend. Boxwood coming to sit at the top of the retaining wall. (A little showing of the corner of the wall on the left.) Then underplantings.

Just for fun, can you see my globe blue spruce, below? 😂

Taken from inside. The only snow we had, but almost continuous for a week in January. Cool carving by the wicked winds we had. Happy that my new little redbuds survived this, too.

• cubby14
    yesterday

Beautiful trees in these pictures. Living in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona we don’t see these types of trees. We are redoing our back yard and because we live in a Natural area Open Space we are very limited in what we are allowed to plant. Anyway off topic, just wanted to say I love seeing these lovely spaces.

dsimber thanked cubby14
  • dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

Hi Cubby. Aren't we always attracted to plants we can't grow!

I hope you'll share some photos of yours!

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

Coincidence today, Julie! This is the one person I follow daily. Today he shared a snowball viburnum from his mom's yard, and he was cutting stems to take into the house. They're blooming like this already? Wow!
    (southeast Iowa)

• dsimber
    Original Author
    yesterday

Another coincidence today with Snowball Viburnum!

Posted today by Shannon O'Toomey on our local gardeners FB group:

"Todays Blooms & Branches: Snowball Viburnum, Smokebush, Iowa Phlox, Flax (this is how we get flax seeds!) & Henbit."

She frequently posts creative arrangements; her garden must be amazing!

• pat1250
    yesterday

Hey Dsimber……do research on the native plants in your area. There is a solution that will benefit the ecosystem, I am sure.

dsimber thanked pat1250
  • beadsnsew
    yesterday

Your landscaping is already so nice dsimber, but the additions you're planning will be great!

Needed a distraction today & been thinking about your thoughts of painting the shiplap, also painted the walls with Bleeker Beige (a little odd without natural shadows though).

dsimber thanked beadsnsew
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

Beadsnsew. That looks fantastic! I like the charcoal drapery panels with the painted fireplace shiplap. It elevates the ceiling in a lovely way.

dsimber thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

I am not getting notifications. So just saw this.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    yesterday

I love Redbuds, clump River Birch and Japanese Maples. So wonderful in landscapes. Everything you have done is so nice!!

• lolainlasvegas
    yesterday

Beautiful mock up beads!

dsimber thanked lolainlasvegas
  • PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    20 hours ago

Viburnum!! so pretty…beautiful flower arrangement she made…beads that is so close to the visual of the inspiration photo..I love the dark drapes all warm neutral furniture in different shades.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    19 hours ago
    last modified: 19 hours ago

Beads! You made the room so much warmer with those changes! A "thank you" seems insufficient to express my gratitude. Julie had the vision for the drapes! I have to agree with Flo that the dark charcoal drapes together with painting the shiplap the same color is a really nice look. (And Flo recommended that from the beginning!) Those changes help define the living area, and it makes it look much more interesting. Almost a feature wall! Makes the black lampshades work better, too. Thank you so very much, Beads! <3 (no emojis today)

Does anyone know if the spaces between shiplap boards can be filled in before painting? Is there a product that would stay there?? Or can tile be applied to it???

• dsimber
    Original Author
    19 hours ago

Julie, I saw on someone's thread a short time ago that you recommended your dark area rug. Do you think it would work in this room, or do you think a lighter rug is needed?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    19 hours ago

Hi dsimber…well I think a dark rug would be gorgeous…I love the way it grounds the room and really gives a inviting cozy feel…We absolutely love our dark rug from Arhaus..it is one of the top items that visitors comment on…..it is variegated enough in color so nothing shows on it ever.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    19 hours ago

not sure you could fill in shiplap without some kind of lines showing when painted..but painted out gray or wall color would look nice….I honestly would not worry about it..once you add art it will look just fine…not sure it is worth the expence. I think once you add all the new furniture, drapes and art you will appreciate that fireplace as is.

• beadsnsew
    17 hours ago

Thank you Flo, Lola & Julie. You are welcome dsimber! I really enjoy creating your mockups 😊.

Agree with Julie - all in - it is going to be so beautiful you won’t notice the shiplap!

dsimber thanked beadsnsew
  • liasch
    13 hours ago

Given that it’s going to be painted a dark colour I think the lines on the shiplap are pretty much going to disappear due to the dark color. They show up now because of course white shows every single bit of texture.

dsimber thanked liasch
  • happyleg
    13 hours ago

There's always Shadows

dsimber thanked happyleg
  • liasch
    12 hours ago

That’s a gorgeous arrangement; I love the Smokebush in it. Thanks for sharing it on my thread… Somehow I spaced out on the person who shared it so just giving you a heads up that I loved it! I wish I could grow viburnum here on my property but as yet it has not been successful.

dsimber thanked liasch
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    10 hours ago

Yes. Dark colors recede and so less shadows. Go for the darker fireplace wall and the shiplap. I think this is really coming along. As to rug, I think things might get too heavy with a deep color rug. A medium tone that works with new sofa is worth considering. The rug in Julie’s has other supporting features such as a lot of natural light, a high ceiling so the darker rug works well. Food for thought.

• dsimber
    Original Author
    9 hours ago

That makes sense, Flo. Thanks. Charcoal drapes, charcoal fireplace, floor to ceiling. Still a tv in the room. A lot of dark in a room with small windows.

Julie, thanks for telling me where I could find the rug. I'm reminding myself that my plan is to look locally first. Easier for me to try and return. I definitely want to experiment with different tones.

A win for Julie on the drapes, and a win for Flo on the shiplap. Wink.* Two wins for me! Lol.

*My emojis keep disappearing!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    8 hours ago

The winner is you dsimber. That’s the best.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    7 hours ago

Girl you are moving foward that is great! it will be lovely…any tone rug that you love will add interest and warmth and ground the space. Like I said Have Fun!🤗😉

• liasch
    2 hours ago

The charcoal dominance on that wall, does make it like a feature wall, and cozy. It can work...I have done it in my place, in the winter, with small north facing windows. But drapes were still lighter weight. I switched, seasonally. Now, I prefer lighter all year. I found heavy look in summer bothered me. You don't want to be messing with drapes, so you may want to consider what you want, year round. You may not be concerned with seasonal mood in the room. I find I am, so needed to find what worked all year.

• liasch
    2 hours ago

Drapes are far down the road though...lots of time to think about those! There is a big difference between a mock up and being IN the space. It isn't all visual.