Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluecakesmama

Does this counter / backsplash work?

Lisa
14 days ago

Highly considering this quartz and tile backsplash (which I’d have installed in a herringbone pattern) for my kitchen. what do you think? Does it work with my white cabniets? is the counter too busy for that backsplash? id appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (11)

• Lisa
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Heres a picture of the quartz slab with the cabinets

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    14 days ago

So I just responded to your other post on this.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thanks!

• Lisa
    Original Author
    14 days ago

Thank you- This was actually one of my inspiration pics! I've considered grout color, but haven't thought about grout line width- thanks for suggesting that! I'm so new to this I didn't even realize that was even something to think about, lol.

• Kendrah
    14 days ago

For being new to this, you are off to a good start. What size are the tiles? For a herringbone, I prefer a narrow rectangle rather than a chunky wider rectangle. Also, your inspiration pic tiles seems to have color uniformity. The tiles you selected look like there is color variation, but that might just be the lighting. Color variation isn't a problem so long as you like it and aren't going to be too picky where the few darker or lighter tiles end up in the pattern.

• Lisa
    Original Author
    14 days ago

these particular tiles are 3x8, although I plan to look at a few other blue tile options as well that might come in different sizing. You are correct about the variation in these- they do have pretty good variation. I was originally thinking I preferred no variation, but I'm finding that I'm not minding it as it seems to add extra interest. My biggest wonder right now is if the grey countertop is too "Busy" to go with the tile in a herringbone pattern. Even after seeing the full slab, I have a hard time envisioning everything together and just want to make sure its not too crazy, lol.

• jackowskib
    13 days ago

I would look for a backsplash tile that is more like to your inspiration photo, same shade with slight uniform variation, that is really beautiful! Your current backsplash being considered I would find too busy with the countertop because of the different tile colors.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

A couple of comments that weren't brought up in the other post:

1. the type of tile usually dictates grout width. If it's very rectified (meaning the edges are straight and at right angles) the grout line is narrower. If the tile is more handmade, with an irregular edge, the grout line is wider. Check the tile manufacturer's specfications.

2. don't get hung up on the "busy-ness" of the tile. Your choices are fairly uniform, so you really don't need to worry about the backsplash being "busy." Lots of commenters here are overly focused on this concept. Just make sure you know what you're getting and you like it.

• sunsoleil
    13 days ago

I love the tile! May I ask who the manufacturer is?

• rebunky
    13 days ago

Yes! I like it! I think the color variation will be fine and won’t be too busy with the quartz.

I don’t like is the white grout on the sample board. Of course, I am sure you probably were not planning to go with the white. I would do a grout color that blends well with the tile. Maybe try Laticrete Slate Grey?