Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiearra_mcley

What can I do about this bathroom vanity in my master bedroom?

Tiearra McLey
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

First time homeowner here and I have this hotel-style vanity in my master bedroom. I wanted to close off the wall, tear down the one leading into the toilet area, and expand the bathroom making it one space. However, my husband does not want to do that in fear of making the room smaller. For spacial context, we have a queen bed with 28-inch bedside tables and you can see from the pictures there's not much room.

The space behind the mirror where the towel rack is at is not used for much more than the occasional laundry basket.

Every morning without fail someone is getting woken up before their alarm as the vanity is equipped with the classic 1990s strip bathroom lighting, and is blinding.

Solutions I can do without selling the house, or building a wall?

Comments (16)

• Olychick
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I probably would hang some fabric panels from the ceiling by the half wall that could block the light, but could also slide all the way to the wall to close the whole area. They could be left open/stacked by the half wall when you don't need the light blocked. Maybe slide them into position at bedtime, so in the morning they are ready to block the light. Ikea has great systems - very affordable. These might not be opaque enough but I'm sure they have some that would work.

• Jennz9b
    12 days ago

I agree- building the wall wont make the room feel smaller- it will just make it more functional and less awkward. i don’t think you need to remove the door to the shower area either. keeping it gives you additional functionality.

• enajasereht
    12 days ago

That wall is begging to be built.

• jo mu
    12 days ago

-You can build a wall with a pocket door or that swings inward

-if you tear down the other wall you can turn the vanity around so the back of the vanity is against new wall and you may be able to recess the wall so you gain space but it might be awkward looking

You could out bed on another wall why don't you tell us the dimensions of the room not including vanity area so we can better advise

• Tiearra McLey
    Original Author
    12 days ago

It's 10' 6" by 13'ish

• arcy_gw
    12 days ago

First I would flip the bed. The head is even with the lighting so ya it's going to 'be blinding'. Meanwhile start saving money. That entire space, bathroom/closets/bedroom needs to be gutted and reworked.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    12 days ago

Test out your thought. Take a sheet or paper and tack it to the ceiling. See how you feel about it. Try putting the bed on the other walls ( although not sure if it would work ) and see how you feel.

You could also try just closing up the half wall. It may help with the light.

I do really like Olychick's idea a lot too

Personally, I would close the wall. Bedrooms are cozy spaces anyway.

• Olychick
    11 days ago

Looking at your pics again, is there room for a small sink opposite the toilet, inside that room? Just big enough to brush your teeth, etc. when someone else is still sleeping.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 days ago

Build the wall that set up as is will always make you crazy. If you post an actul to scale floor plan of the whole space here on graph paper you might get some real help. Post here showing every window , doorway and measurement clearly marked that in cludes the bathroom . Post in jpeg format in a comment here DO NOT start another post.

• apple_pie_order
    11 days ago

If you need a small-budget solution at the moment, install a sturdy ceiling rod for floor length heavy blackout curtains that would run from door frame to wall. You may need an extra valence board to block light leakage at the ceiling.

Also, It may be possible to install a dimmer switch (under $30) for the vanity lights. There are LED bulbs that are dimmable and those that aren't, so take a look.

• eld6161
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

You need the wall. I wouldn’t hang anything. As Patricia points out, give us the floor plan with measurements.

Once we come up with an adequate plan, you can show your husband.

Sometimes it is hard to visualize.

The first person getting up should use the guest bathroom.

• bpath
    10 days ago

If you build the wall, would you also consider changing the vanity itself? and the mirror and lighting? You need accessible storage there. A vanity with drawers, and a recessed medicine cabinet. Maybe two, one on either side of the vanity.

That is a small bedroom. We had 11x13 with an ensuite, and I definitely would not have wanted the sink in the bedroom. Make a proper ensuite out of that, really. Who wants to see bath towels in the bedroom?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    10 days ago

Re-orient your bed, close off the wall where the sink is and add a door. Then demo the wall/door between the sink and the toilet/shower and make it one large bathroom.

• AnnKH
    10 days ago

Is your house on a slab or a basement? I would build the wall, move the vanity to the opposite wall, and put the door where the vanity is now, to minimize the walkway needed to get to the bathroom.

Though Olychick might have the best solution - put a small sink/vanity in the toilet/shower space, and turn the existing vanity area into closets. One doesn't need a ton of vanity space if there is a nice closet right outside the door.

• bpath
    10 days ago

The blue is new walls. Remove the yellow X walls. On the left, where the towel bar is, add storage, whether a linen closet or, even better, lower drawers, then a bit of countertop, and cabinets or shelves above. New vanity on the right with drawers, although, you could forgo that for now. new lighting. Medicine cabinets.

Now you have more room in the bedroom for nice pictures on the walls, and you can store more stuff in the bathroom. and it feels less like a motel.