Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_tuinstra

What paint color

Nicole Tuinstra
13 days ago

This is our kitchen with the flooring we are looking at getting. What paint color would you use? The cabinets and countertops are staying. Attached is a closer look at the pattern on the countertop.

Comments (12)

• Boxerpal
    13 days ago

I love your beautiful island, What a super place to cook and entertain.

When I have a mix of gray and beige in various materials, I like a color that can be both. Balboa Mist by Benjamin Moore is a great color that can read beige or light gray. Depending on the light and time of day the color changes like a chameleon. It can work with greens, blues and dark grays. I think it might work with your floors too.

Nicole Tuinstra thanked Boxerpal
  • Nicole Tuinstra
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thank you! I love my cabinets and island, just not a fan of our current floor and wall colors (seems to dark to me)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    13 days ago

The floor is great.....even BETTER with a new dining table and chairs and Balboa Mist on the walls

Nicole Tuinstra thanked JAN MOYER
  • Nicole Tuinstra
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Thanks Jan! A new dining room table is next on our list, we are just getting out of the stage of life where kids are painting and missing what they are painting :)

• loves2read
    13 days ago

Personally I think the floor you chose is a little too stripe-y in the tones—

do you see how the pattern has a regular change between darker and lighter—maybe it is just me but the house we bought and life in now has two kinds/colors of LVP that are very stripe-y in how they layout and it is a big pattern in the rooms they are used.

I guess yours is an LVP or laminate…IMO that stripe effect goes against the more mottled/swirley countertops and conflicts…—not the tone but the design/stripe.

I definitely like the LIGHTER shade of the flooring and a griege color would go best with the counters, flooring, and darker cabinets

check out this YHL blog post about top griege colors

I think Balboa Mist is one mentioned—but you need larger samples (paint white poster board) to make the best choice

https://www.younghouselove.com/best-greige-paint-colors/

Nicole Tuinstra thanked loves2read
  • Nicole Tuinstra
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Jan, that is also on our list :). Might be my Christmas present ask!

• Nicole Tuinstra
    Original Author
    13 days ago

loves2read- yes, I was thinking that as well, I'm just focusing on the lighter color right now :)

• Boxerpal
    13 days ago

@loves2read are these the ones...

• loves2read
    13 days ago

No—I was thinking the opal shade schoolhouse w/black—that chrome is too contemporary for her kitchen IMO—but thanks…

• btydrvn
    13 days ago

I would start by painting the kitchen white…then re-visit the change in floor color..one reason being that neither of the proposed floors can really judged with the walls that color..I would stay away from gray walls for lots of reasons..mostly because it has been overused everywhere for a long while..another plus is ..if you wish …you can paint the table set any color or white…rather than having to get a new one unless you are ready

• btydrvn
    13 days ago

If painting the table set is an option I would suggest using spray paint in a can…after a good cleaning of the set it will cover without brush marks..in way less time..and the paint wears like iron as it has a high glue content