Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbredalert

Would like help with my living room

mbredalert
11 years ago
Hi all, I'm from U.K. Love the site, you all seem very nice :)
I'm in the process of converting our garage into a bedsit, this has meant a bit of work to the living room, so I've just painted the 4 walls a neutral color for now. I understand that there a few 'nasties' in this room. I have in mind a few things (curtains, rug, lights, tv cabinet, possibly wallpaper the one wall between tv and bookcase) but really would appreciate your input. Fire away with ANY suggestions. Unfortunately from a decor viewpoint, the tv does dominate somewhat, however in this room the tv has to be there somewhere... Lets see how we get on with the discussion. Many thanks, Mark

Comments (20)

• househaunted
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    How about colors like this? Looks like a dark khaki/gray that is "warm" rather than "cool."

Dawna Jones Design · More Info

Perhaps you could put the television in the corner where the plant is now?
    You could probably stain the wood media stand.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    It appears your furniture arrangement is limited by the front door and the vent below the window. That being said, I would keep the arrangement you have now and paint the walls a medium gray and get a new tv cabinet that is meant to fit neatly in a corner, and one that has storage above and below so you can lose the bookshelf. A new coffee table and an area rug will add some interest and color. And maybe a new lighting fixture?

[houzz=
    Reston Corner Media · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Turquoise Pyramid Trunk Coffee Table · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mystic Collection Turquoise Rug · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Designers Fountain 96911 Montego Semi-Flush Light in oil-rubbed bronze finish · More Info
    ]
  • mbredalert
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. You both mention painting the walls gray, why? Is it because the chairs are black? I'm not very good at this... I'd prefer not to have to paint the walls again as I've only just done them . I'd prefer to make this color work first if possible but I wouldn't rule out repainting. Was thinking of maybe wallpapering one wall? Need colour and texture quick I think? @olldbobbi I appreciate the ideas especially the rug thats looks niiice. What size rug do you think I should look at?
    The 'vent' under the window is a nasty radiator that I am looking into getting a radiator enclosure for, it will have to be custom made. The lights are somewhat a priority wouldn't you say :/ It just seems as if my room is a collection of stuff I have accumalated! O dear, I'm feeling quite inadequate
  • mbredalert
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'd just like to add that this room is very much 'in progress'. Any thoughts on artwork? The current picture worked with my old wall colors of cream and 1 wall of jade/turquoise behind the 3 seater, so its just been put back for now. I have a bevelled edge mirror (attatched) that I could put instead of the picture, its 2' x 3' ish. The plant in the corner looks tired, doesn't it? Something else for that corner? The other plant is fake. Please don't be afraid to rip into me with whatever you feel is just wrong and needs change! Thankyou all :)
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Hi, I thought the walls could be painted gray to warm them up and to go with your black sofas. I know painting can be a pain but I think it will look really nice.

I have 3 rooms "in progress" right now, too! I know how it feels, believe me. The rug should be no more than 18" from each wall. Probably if you add color with the rug and coffee table you'll be ok with not painting the walls, just try it and see if you like it.

That poor plant in the corner! It's time for retirement, I think. The picture you have over the love seat is great with the rug. It needs to be lower, at eye level. Which for me would be about 5', for my son, 6'5". But it's your eye level that counts! A mirror should reflect something of beauty, not just something to hang on a wall, so where ever you decide to put it don't put it across from cable wires, or something you don't want to see twice. Also, you don't want to hang 2 mirrors opposite each other to avoid a Stephen King endless room kind of thing.
  • carolannr
    11 years ago
    I think the wall ( where the bookcase is in the corner) could hold a whole wall of shelves (painted or stained dark) including the TV, eliminating both the bookcase and the tv cabinet. A multicolor rug to pull together the seating with a longer coffee table. Put some books, art objects, etc on those shelves to match the colors in the rug and you'll have a more lively living room area.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    While I like the ideas presented I have in mind two different ways to do your living room.

One would be to paint the walls a lucious green like Shades of Spring by Benjamin Moore. Don't know if you can get BM paint there, but here is what it looks like: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/shadesofspring#ce_s=shades of

As soon as you can have a radiator cover made move the sofa in front of it . Hang the TV on the opposite wall on a swivel. Move the loveseat to the opposite end of the room (where you have the bookcase now.)

Hang the mirror 6" above the lovseat. At the end closest to the door, where the loveseat (2 seater) is now, hang 2 or 3 large botanical prints or make a gallery wall of botanical prints in black frames. (see attached photo for idea.) You can glue fabric to cardboard and frame it in identical frames to get this look for cheap.

Add a roll up shade in a natural fiber. Something like this: http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/040547309+textured+woven+shade.do?sortby=ourPicks&filterby=

Restain your cubes in a slightly darker shade of brown then use them as end tables. Add lamps, a couple of books and maybe a small blooming plant (African violet?)

That's it for Plan I. :-)
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Whoops. Intended to add a different picture, so here it is. Use fabric to get this look .
  • Corinne Morse
    11 years ago
    If you do not want to paint the walls again and new furniture is not in the budget you could get slip covers for the furniture.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Plan II to is to go upscale graphic.

Hang mirror 6" above sofa.

Hang black and white horizonal stripped drapery panels at each end of window - high and wide as in the attached illustration.

Add black and white print throw pillows to both sofa and loveset. Add a white throw to sofa.

Paint tables black. Add silver, white or clear lamps with black shades. You can always spray paint existing lamps white.

Add a zebra striped, black and white cow skin or other graphic rug.

Keep cat in room at all times.

Paint TV stand black. Paint bookcase black also. Put it on other side of window to help balance TV.

Hang large black and white picture to left of window above TV to help balance bookcase on other side.

Hang large long black and white print above loveseat. http://www.art.com/gallery/id--c23951/black-and-white-photography-prints_p3.htm?ui=3F22A1FCC0DD403DA98A3598F1474264
    I love the cityscapes. You can stack one over the other if you purchased two of them. Hang 3-D wall art at the opposite end of the room (the wall where the bookshelf is now)

Add a glass coffee table. It will visually take up less space as well as add a little sparkle and shine

Add silver picture frames with family photos across the top of the radiator cover. More sparkle and shine.

Add two small white leather ottomans in front of the radiator for extra seating. Put your existing black ottoman between them or in the far corner where the bookcase currently is.

For even more sparkle and shine add a small chandelier.

Hope to see updates soon! :-D
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Give this a try, I think you have the room: pull largest sofa off the wall and "float" it into the corner where the bookcase is. Bring the loveseat over to directly face the tv. Have the arm of sofa and love seat touch. Basically, you are making an L shape. That will give you a nice conversation area and free up some space by your front door.

I would put the tall bookcase where the love seat now is.
  • mbredalert
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    To the chaps across the water who commented :) thankyou :) for your nice ideas.
    I won't list the ones that called out to me just yet, I'm replying on a lunchbreak :)
    You seem to know the dos and don'ts of decor unlike me!
    Really appreciate the thoughts and time taken to reply.
    Haha I love that - "loveseat" (its just a 2 seater here in UK - how dull)
    The window in the room is 3 meters wide! It was all I could find at the time of moving in to get a 3 meter wide curtain pole, but I can remedy that with a chunkier longer one and get those new curtains quick smart!
    Hope to update you soon, its getting busy this december!
    Keep the ideas coming ;)
    Regards, Mark
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Funny about "love seat". I have never given the term a second thought until now!

Couple of more suggestions: In a small space, such as yours, lighting up the corners of a room is very important. Will make it seem larger! So, if you make the "L" shape with the sofas, add either a round table behind largest sofa to hold a lamp, or put a floor lamp that angles the light up, back there. Add another to the opposite corner ( by the window on front door side of room).

Or, do what we over here anyway, call an up light or a can light. This is a very small light source that sits on the floor. These work beautifully next to house plants: use it to throw great leaf shaped shadows on to the wall and ceiling.

Also, be sure the overhead light has a dimmer switch.

Other than that, move the art to the other wall (one with door), (frame it first) and hang lower.

Put your plant (or a new large healthy palm!) into a larger ceramic planter (lots at garden centers), top off soil with dried moss or polished rocks for a finished look.
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    11 years ago
    Janishill, I love your ideas. Can you share with us what the textile is you posted by mistake (black ground crewel embroidery?) - I have been looking for something exactly like that.
    Sorry to derail the conversation - lots of great ideas out there.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I like that fabric, too! Bet it's expensive !!!!....bobbi
  • Natasha
    11 years ago
    I agree with all those fantastic answers! If I were you I would put the Tv where the plant is now. You can paint the walls of a dark neutral tone and change the rug for some light tiles; or maybe for a dark colour of floortiles, and then add a wallpaper on one of the walls. Good look! I hope you add some photos of the after-room !
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Judith Taylor Designs and Bobbi..it is actually an inexpensive print. I found it here: http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bloomer-Tile-V-Posters_i8279353_.htm
    When I saw this I thought of framing pieces cut from a drapery panel I have from the 50's. I would love to find this in a fabric though.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Oh, I love inexpensive ! :))
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    Hello Mark. Sometimes you have to think outside of the box. Finding a 9' rod might be difficult, but finding electrical conduit is easy. All you need is a hardware store. Then follow these directions: http://www.houseofhepworths.com/2011/10/11/how-to-make-a-cheap-awesome-professional-curtain-rod/
    or this one for longer rods: http://www.shelterrific.com/2008/03/25/steal-this-idea-extra-long-conduit-curtain-rod

Copper tubing will work as well and adds interesting patina.

Hope to see updates soon!
  • Natalie
    11 years ago
    Hi---OK a few things---change the way your entry door swings open: http://www.diylife.com/2008/03/18/change-the-swing-direction-of-a-door/
    Lighting---where is it besides the overhead light? Lamps are a must.
    Color---I suggest referring to the glass bowl for colors in art, pillows, accessories, and such. Paint the bookcase and media cabinet the same red as the red door in attached photo. BIG BOLD ArT... Hope this is helpful-you're off to a great start already with nice furnishings-just have to "jazz" it up a bit... Good LUck!

[houzz=
    Truman Table Lamp · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Petal Pusher Wallpaper, Gray/Gold · More Info
    ][houzz=
    LCD87 Door by Lualdi Porte · More Info
    ] http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/kas-oriental-peacock-feathers/black/1230738-2608.html[[houzz=
    Deco Muse by Stina Persson at Wonderwall · More Info
    ]