Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leecy

Designing one room at a time.

Leecy
11 years ago
We are planning renovations and I'm trying to design all the rooms, so I have decided maybe I should focus on one room at a time do I don't get confused. So starting with a bathroom for two girl. Any suggestion welcome. I'm thinking of using. Pink tile as the feature tile.

Comments (271)

• olldroo
    10 years ago
    A blue/grey should look good with your roof then. Don't forget to take before photos of everything, they are great to look back on. I was a bit slow off the mark with mine and missed quite a lot that I now regret.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Re the front loader, they take forever to do a load and once you press start you can't add any more clothes. I miss my top loader. I live in aussieland.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks chookchook, we have got a front loader in sitting in storage already. The thing is we only have tank water and the front loaders use a lot less that is why we have chosen one, I think the one we got you can add extra to it once it's started because water comes below the door line.
  • Angela Iannitti-Hulse
    10 years ago
    I think that instead of doing one room at a time, consider a uniform tone throughout the house like gray for example. Then use pops ofcolor throughout the different rooms. Pink towels are so much more versatile and could be changed when they get sick of pink.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Plan for the long term with tiles. Many girls grow out of pink, our 12 yo is into lilac now. If u need to sell, many buyers hate pink. Pink paint and accessories are more flexible.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tiles are getting done! Getting exciting. I love seeing it all coming together.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tiles are 98% done!!
    I can't wait to get in there & paint my wardrobe & bedroom.
  • megannicoleee
    10 years ago
    The top right one is really pretty plus they'll appreciate it now and when they grow up. So pretty. Hope I helped :)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Leecy, it looks so spacious and luxurious we will have to send a search party in to drag you out. I love that long louvre, it is going to be so practical.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Haha! It's not that big, you'll see once the vanity, toilet etc are all in. But it is twice its original size. :-) our deck is almost done too!! The wires are 80% finished! Then the pizza oven! (Hopefully) :-)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I think those tiles make a big difference, I know my rooms look a lot larger. Pizza oven sounds good - turkey pizza for Christmas??
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I got lucky today! Hubby has been away all weekend & my mum dropped in with food supplies, when she was about to leave miss two said she was going too, actually there was no way grandma was going without her then miss three said she was going too & insisted I stayed home! So with a few hours up my sleeve I went straight to painting, had to clean each wall first as I went. So only have one wall left & then a second coat on all 4 walls. Then to start the skirting!! And once the builders are out of my bathroom (or not making so much mess) I'm going to paint my whole wardrobe white!! We had some mix matched pine draws too that I have started painting white & they can go back in the wardrobe. It should make it all look a lot nicer & neater. :-) I can't get a photo of the window wall, it's just to sunny out there! :-)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Boy, you don't waste any time do you but I can remember being like that when my joeys were little. These days I have to get the mind in gear and the body revved up, it is like a car engine on a cold morning. You have done a great job with the painting and the colour looks good - am I seeing a mauve tinge to it? It looks pretty and you will have a lot of choice with accessories.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No time to waste with little kids around. It's only had one coat (well parts of the wall have had two I guess) it will look heaps better once the skirting & everything is white rather then that yellowy cream colour & with just the one coat there is the occasional yellow showing through. There is a purple colour mixed in the paint, I saw it when I was painting with the sample tin I scraped the excess paint off my brush in the tin and got clumps of purple that hadn't mixed through properly. (I may not of mixed it properly) ;-)
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    White ceiling!!! And white trim!! Just a bit excited!! My mission this weekend is to find a new fan/light. Going to Melbourne, going to be hard to control myself!!!! :-D
    Also our vanity is in & tiles are all grouted!! I'm so so excited!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Wow, how clean and fresh it all looks. I am more than "just a bit" excited for you.

Fans are pretty easy to find at least. I think there are 3 different sizes in fans too, check your room size to be sure you get the right one. Also ensure you get timber blades and not metal, if you don't already know that. Take plenty of colour samples with you, you never know what you might see. Splurge on some finishing touches - Santa is happy to come early - and it is such a great feeling to have those little extras to really finish the rooms off.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Progress report. The plumber has been and the electrician, everything works!! Waiting on the shower glass & a mirror, then we just need the builders to come back to do the finishing touches now & give it a good clean. :-D
    As for the deck they have started on our pizza oven and it should all be finished before Xmas!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Great news leecy. How did you go in Melbourne?
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Good, did some DFO shopping, got new towels and a few other bits & pieces. We are undecided on a fan. Hubby wants one of those lovely wooden fans, which it agree look cool but I'm worried it's going to be to much for our small room & suggesting maybe we go with a white fan that blends in with the ceiling so it's not the main focus of the room. (And a lot cheaper) I'll find some pics.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Example of a white ceiling fan
    http://houzz.com/photos/62803
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the fan he wants, but in the dark wood colour.
    http://houzz.com/photos/697236
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I love those timber ones, but I have seen the price tag too. So if I am to play referee here, let me put it this way. The photo of the brown one looks great because of the timber ceiling the brown walls and all timber in the room, but your room isn't going to look like that. That room is super contemporary too that suits the style of the fan. I don't think you room will be. Picture that room with a white fan and I think it would look as incongruous as that fan in your room. Do you really want a fan as a feature in your room? While you would have a light fitting as a feature, I just don't think a fan is in the same league. I have one like the first one in my lounge room and it really does disappear into the ceiling and keeps a very clean line in the room and doesn't fight with my fancy light fittings that I wanted to be the feature. Take a few backward steps, look at your room as a whole and picture it with the fan and I think you will get your answer. You can get that style in white if you are really set on it, but with the price tag in mind, I think you would be better putting the money elsewhere, who is going to see it anyway? Keep the idea for your living area where it will be seen, it does have a great wow factor, but again it comes down to whether you really want a fan to be a feature.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    BTW - if you do settle on a fan like the first picture make sure it is timber anyway and not metal.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My point exactly!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Heehee - now it is two against one!! Good luck.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Guess what!!???
    Our bathroom is done!! I'm in the process of moving in! :-D
    Haven't used the shower yet, just waiting on a tile to dry that had to be replaced. Then just need to give the whole thing a good wipe clean. Oh and we don't have a toilet roll holder yet. ;-) I have taken some night time photos.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok photos don't seem to be working
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So here it is!! I don't have a toilet roll holder yet so I have a basket full of toilet rolls & some reading material next to the loo. And on the vanity is some shells & driftwood me & the kids collected this week while on holiday .
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Wow, you are going to feel like a queen in there, you won't want to come out. Did you do a skirting tile around the loo area or it is just the wall? I like the colour of your towels too, I didn't think of that colour, I kept all mine pale.

Did you get the heat today?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Awesome !!!!! :-)
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    That is an amazing bathroom! I wish I can redo mine soon, but it will have to wait.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Very nice. Love the shower. Good job. Now on too the next room. It gets easier once you do a room.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. Olldroo we went with floor to ceiling tiles in a warm white. Looks good doesn't it!? :-D
    I think today is the day we get to use the shower. We thought we were having a glass door on the shower too but the glass guy came out as we were leaving on holiday, it looks good, we'll see how practical it is having the shower head where there is no glass screen (how wet the room gets) we can always get more glass put in if needed I'm sure. We have some big heat lights on the ceiling too so it shouldn't get cold and the towel rail is heated. :-)
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Morning photos. :-)
    Oh & I was very excited last night filling MY draw with stuff! It's the first time I have had a bathroom draw. And it's full!! ;-)
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I can see the wall tiles now in the daytime photos. Your bathroom is so like mine, only bigger, I just love all the white, even cleaning it is fun because it shines back at me. I love that louvre window too, I am soooo envious of that.

You should have enough screen there for the wall mounted shower head, my daughter has something similar and it is fine but the waterfall head could be a problem. It depends on the water pressure, if it is only a soft fall, it shouldn't splash. Then again I have never quite understood what husbands do in the shower, mine gets water on the ceiling - washes his hair and shakes his head like a wet dog.

Something I was told too, get a small squeegee and wipe the screen after every shower and thoroughly dry around the edges. Water does eventually get into the glass and causes it to go cloudy so it never looks clean. I have found by doing this I almost never have to actually clean the glass, I just do it every so often to remove any dust.

The heat lamps in the ceiling do work very well, although on really cold winter days, I am inclined to put them on about 10 mins before I take a shower. I also leave them and the fan on for about 15 mins after a shower to help dry the room out quickly.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We used the shower yesterday and the floor did get very wet, had to wring the bath mat out. Not sure why we only ended up with one glass panel, we were expecting a whole wall of glass with a door that swings both ways. But at least I'm sure we can still get that added.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Olldroo, get him Chum dog food, it has no artificial colours and flavours, and they seem to be a bit calmer.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Don't tempt me Chook, he is living on borrowed time as it is. It is one of those horrible overcast days today where it feels like it is 160% humidity and I am up ladders trying to finish off things ready for Christmas while His Lordship is lying on the bed icing his sore foot!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Leecy, looks like my earlier comment disappeared, I think my brain is going in this heat and I am pushing wrong buttons. I just realised you will need a fixed panel of glass where your seat is too and then the door. That shouldn't be a problem but I'm just wondering if there is enough room for the door to open inwards without hitting the shower head.
  • jaydub0
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi Leecy. Wow, quite a thread you have going here, I've been reading it for ages and enjoying your thought processes and all the advice coming in. Way back ^^ I had a thought when I saw your dog's bed standing up against the laundry wall.

If that's where it will always be, instead of standing it on its edge with those legs sticking out into the room when it's not in use, maybe you could have one installed that sits flat on the wall and drops down hinged at the bottom with legs on the outside edge that drop down when needed and fold flat when not. Just a thought.

Or maybe plan to do something like this...
    dogs dream · More Info
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Gosh this thread is over a year old now. Often wonder how Leecy is doing with all her renovations, she has been very quiet.
  • jaydub0
    9 years ago
    Woops, so it is oldroo, I didn't look at the date properly, I just saw "Dec". Oh well, it was a hot day here, so reading it was a nice way to fill in a couple of hours between doing other things : )
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Yes we did have a lot of fun on this thread, it was nice to find an Aussie back then too. All we have to do now is find Chookchook, she was involved in a lot of threads and then suddenly disappeared.
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi oldroo!! The renos have stopped. Actually we are selling the house. I just had a baby boy which we hadn't planned so was a very nice surprise. We were sick of all the work that needed doing around the house and property being 42 acres! We have just moved into a house that doesn't need any work, it's everything we wanted in our old house but better! A room for each of the kids and less land for us to manage.
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    Hi Leecy, lovely to hear from you and hearty congratulations. No wonder you have been quiet. What a fun time ahead and I'm sure your new addition is going to thoroughly enjoy the attention of his 3 mothers. I can imagine the wonderful feeling of moving into a home that needs no work. It is fun to plan and do the renovations, but there just comes a time in life that freedom is so much more important, especially with babies - you just never get that time back.

How far did you get with the renovations? Did you get the kitchen area done at all??

I put my new kitchen in last October while BH was overseas and I had it all to myself, MY decisions MY wants, MY needs. I didn't let on to anyone I was doing it so BH came home to a huge surprise and loved everything - I'm sure mostly because he didn't have to think about it. Everything is in drawers or on pull out shelving so no bending or crawling around the floor, except in the pantry which has all narrow adjustable shelving so the low shelves just have one large item on them making it easy to grab and nothing has to be searched for. All the joeys have been here since then for holidays and it got very high scores of approval. The only problem we have is trying to find things, with cleaning out, there are no hiding places left. Given us lots of laughs at least.

Good luck with everything, and don't be a stranger.

Sneak peek at part of the kitchen
  • Leecy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Looks really nice. Do you the wire shelves in the pantry? That's what we have in the new house, weave them in all the wardrobes too. It's so nice to have storage! Our new kitchen is everything we wanted at the old house but better! Way better! We never got around to doing the kitchen but luckily for us our fridge, oven, cooktop & range hood all fit at the new house. So we have a big door in door fridge that's connected to the water & that was the first thing to go in the house, the oven & stove etc will have to be installed but should only cost a few hundred because we have to do a tiny bit of modifying to get it in as its a separate oven cooktop but the one here is a freestanding. So when we have the $$ we will install our good one & sell the one that's here. :-)

I'll, try's ale some pics when I don't have my arms full of baby. ;-)
  • olldroo
    9 years ago
    No the pantry is all melamine shelving but narrow so I don't need to slide out to find anything. The way they did it wasn't what I expected as it is in 4 parts so have lots of divisions. Wasn't very happy at first because of space I lost, but in practice it has turned out very practical and I couldn't be happier. Have a photo of part of it while I was waiting for extra shelves. This is half of it and the other half is the reverse. I have 8 shelves altogether so each space is tailor made for what I want on the shelf and there is no wasted space.

Wow that was lucky all your appliances will go in so well. Don't hold your breath on the "few hundred" sparkies know how to charge - a few hundred generally only gets them in the door.

Give bubs a hug from me too.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    What a lovely surprise !!! Have fun in the new house with new baby boy and your girls !!