Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiekp

Knotty pine bathroom - HELP!

katiekp
10 years ago
We want to remodel this bathroom and keep the knotty pine. Not sure how to incorporate a new floor / shower (glass with tiles) keeping it clean and pretty but congruous with the knotty pine walls. Any ideas??

Comments (4)

• PRO
    KR Kitchen Remodeling, LLC
    10 years ago
    My brother just re-built his camp and the entire structure is knotty pine - really nice. You're pine boards have aged - it would be time consuming but if you wanted to lighten them up you could remove and have the replained and then polyed (yes, that's what he did). It looks as though this room was not intended to bea bathroom. With the large and low window you're restricted to a small vanity. If you could replace the window with one that gives you more privacy you could extend the vanity and/or create a bench under the window for some additional storage (use range base drawer for best access). The shower appears to be a corner unit of sorts (picture doesn't give me the best angle). They make corner units that are round.

You need some color - I'd suggest finding a nice tile for the floor that complements the pine and has some color to it. Stay away from the oranges as that's too similar with the color of the wood. Something in the cool tones perhaps - gray even.

Recessed LED lighting would also improve the space and make it less gloomy. Good luck!
  • katiekp
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi KR thanks for your help!!
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    How much work and money do you want to spend?
    You can paint the pine, change vanity cabinet and floor.

You can remove top half of pine and replace top with sheet rock, leave lower half and use the wood from top half of wall for the floor.

My choice would be paint pine, replace floor, vanity and medicine cabinet and add plantation shutter to window. Replace light over vanity.

http://houzz.com/photos/501649
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    Do you plan on painting the pine or keeping it as is? I have also seen it lightened as well. If you leave it as is I think some white window casings, and trim in white would look good. I think a wide style moulding (as in older homes) around your windows and deep baseboards painted white. Some white subway tile in your shower possibly with river rock on the floor of the shower. A large dark grey tile for your flooring. I have a photo of a mirror which would look nice over your sink.(Sorry the photo isn't complete but you will get the idea) It is made with willow and birchbark I believe. You could probably make one yourself. Accessories in white.