Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wickedwhite

How can I make our furniture work in this room?

10 years ago
Our new living room is bright and spacious. We love the windows and the fireplace. We are trying to decide what colour to paint in order to match our existing furniture. We also need advice on layout. The living room is the most important in the house to us.. so we are willing to invest a little to make it shine! Thanks in advance.
The pictures below show the old owner's furniture in the room.

Comments (816)

• PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    WW, I congratulate you for trying this new arrangement! I love it and you achieved the open feeling you want!!

With the end table gone, I think any of those coffee tables would work in the room. I is a matter of your personal choice. Obviously, the first ones take you more modern and give a more open feeling. The only one I think is a little boring is the cedar one. Nothing wrong with it,just doesn't seem special.

Can you center the couch on the window or do you not want to for some reason?
  • 10 years ago
    Another vote for the gray marble topped with wood base. With the new arrangement, do you have another place to put your round table you wanted to use.
  • 10 years ago
    I want to add, I agree the glass tables would be a maintenance issue as bluenan said, but I do like both of the new glass choices - not nearly as much as the one with the grass on it, but they're both nice.
  • 10 years ago
    Alright! We are there. Thanks. Now I need help finding a console! Should I start a new thread? Feels a little weird to still have the photos up from the previous owners..
  • 10 years ago
    Yes, start a new thread or people will keep commenting on the original question. Make sure to give us the link!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like the marble glass table pic #3, #4. Works with all the wood trim on windows and fireplace and sofa. Is fresh, interesting and lightweight visually. Mostly, it adds a fresh take on the room, bringing in contemporary.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I was just thinking the table with the grass on it would tie in really well with some of the bookcases you had posted!
  • 10 years ago
    I agree CDR. I hope that's the choice:)
  • 10 years ago
    Hooray!
  • 10 years ago
    It's fantastic WW!
  • 10 years ago
    Love it!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Love the table! Love the couch centered and lamps balanced!!!! Feels very open.
  • 10 years ago
    Very nice and blends nicely with the fireplace...what do you think?
  • 10 years ago
    I might spin the sofa opposite the fireplace and flank it with the chairs. Set the foot stool in between the chairs maybe. That window is too lovely to hide and is a design plus for sure.
    (:
  • 10 years ago
    Also using the small table chairs on either sides of the buffet just seems natural. (: pictures after please.
  • 10 years ago
    Love Revere Pewter. Have it throughout my own home.
  • 10 years ago
    So if I get the art we discussed earlier (blue abstract) on canvas (without glass), it would come in this size. A little smaller than previously discussed. What do you think. Is this size ok?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think the 32x32 you outlined way back is a better choice. This size seems swallowed by the sconces. Is it framed?
  • 10 years ago
    Also.. It's on stretched canvas. No frame or mat..
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Okay. Then you can get it framed and achieve a a larger footprint. What is the size of it currently?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Not your room, but just showing similar sconces with more vertical art that works in a room.

[houzz=
    Marshall Morgan Erb Design Inc. · More Info
    ]
  • 10 years ago
    It looks too small to my eye. What makes the example above work is the extended height that balances the size of the art to the sconces.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think you need a larger size. More size difference for no visual competition.
  • 10 years ago
    The stretched canvas is 28" wide by 24" high. Should I get it and then try to get it framed so it's 32x32? Or should I just buy the one with the glass? It's already 32x32.
  • 10 years ago
    The canvas is almost twice the price.. So I guess my question is: is it really worth it?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    If the canvas is 28 x 42, you will not be able to achieve a square by adding a frame. A 2" frame, for example, would make it 32x 28. So, it would be vertical, as in the art I posted above (not that vertical, but vertical nonetheless)

Of course up to you, weighing price, etc. You might want to hang one of your other framed prints that are under glass and see how they look with the sconces on, fireplace on.

My concern is the light reflection.

Also, you can check to see if the glass on the 32 x 32 is non reflective. Or, you can check into the price of replacing the glass in the 32 x 32 with non reflective.
  • 10 years ago
    It is worth it if it looks right. Otherwise it will continue to bother you and then you will go out and purchase again.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    This is the art, right? I wonder if it has too much yellow in it, next to the taupe fireplace. I don't see any other yellow in the room, except for the bench.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    and fireplace
  • 10 years ago
    O wow! Lots of changes, I have to say, I loved the look before as well,
  • 10 years ago
    "Before" was the previous owner's room:)
  • 10 years ago
    Just spent a great hour reading all this......and have to say your room is just beautiful and you have had a great design team to work with.
  • 10 years ago
    Hi CDR. Do you prefer any of these?
  • 10 years ago
    Couple more
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    fireplace
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    top2: too yellow
    bottom left: goes with fireplace and room , but no blue. Did you want to add blue in art?
    bottom right: goes with fp, but blue is aqua, not navy
    top , 2nd set: good blue and no yellow, so colors work.
    bottom, second set: yellow, so no.

Overall: not thrilled with any.

-I wouldn't choose a print with glass. I think you are going to have a lot of light bouncing off of it. Choose canvas
    -blue pillows are very dominant. I would find something with at least some of that bold blue in it. The neutral color should be the color of fp and/or gray/not yellow.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks CDR. Nice suggestion. Just curious.. Would my first suggestion work if I introduced some soft yellow as an accent into the room? I like the print. It's soft and a little feminine.
  • 10 years ago
    I love your first pick, top left! It's not necessary to have every color of a piece of art in your room for it to work well.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Sometimes colors are off on monitors, but it seems you could find something that has more earthy colors like the fireplace.

Also, again, I caution against something under glass there.
  • 10 years ago
    I love 1, 3, and 4 of the first set WW!
  • 10 years ago
    I also like the last canvas suggested by CDR.
  • 10 years ago
    Like 1 and 3 of first set.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Wickedwhite, I wonder if we should rethink the fireplace.

It has been awhile and I know you looked at mirrors and art objects, as opposed to art.

Can you tell us what your thoughts are? Do you want art there? Do you want a mirror there?

What about something else? Maybe metal (not the cheapy stuff) to coordinate with your sconces.

What color is the finish on the sconces? Sometimes it looks gold and other times pewter tone.

Just throwing out ideas to see if any of them stick. One is a joke. Can you guess which one?

houzz=
    Classical Shingle · More Info
    [houzz=
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
    [houzz=
    Idaho Residence · More Info
    [houzz=
    St. Joseph Renovation · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    What about a couple of your precious pictures reframed in something larger and just propped on fp

[houzz=
    A Modern Gem · More Info
    ]
  • 10 years ago
    I've started a new post
    http://houzz.com/discussions/823193
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Hard to space plan without seeing the entire house, or at least seeing the space “in plan”=the floorplan. But from what I can see, the couch is the anchor of the room…it is the heaviest piece, so I’d put it on the wall opposite the fireplace. I would keep the coffee table parallel to the couch as you have it. The spare chairs don’t bother me on the flanks of the fireplace. I’d then separate the lounge chairs by keeping one in place with the side table, and then moving the other opposite the coffee table. I would try that for starters and because this protocol doesn’t entail buying anything new. Once you have moved the pieces in place you can see if there is a place for the ottoman. Right now it looks as though it may have to leave the room and find another place in your home seeing how you can land a plane on that coffee table! good luck!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Old post, new one is posted 2 up :)
  • 3 years ago

Another vote for the gray marble topped with wood base. With the new arrangement, do you have another place to put your round table you wanted to use.