Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aditi_lohan72

design Dilemma

A Lo
3 months ago

Hi all,

I am looking for inspiration to enhance our living room that has cathedral ceiling. I feel the way it is set up it does highlight its positives, like, exposed beam, high ceiling etc. I want some design ideas that make this room part of home and at the same time enhance what the room has going for it. The first picture is our living room and second is our family room ( both the rooms are connected)

Comments (16)

• A Lo
    Original Author
    3 months ago

That is great advise. We tend to go the back room. I do want to have the same “pull” for the front living room as well. They don’t have to match- I really do like the faux stone look but I am worried if they will look very disconnected.
    I am also thinking of staining the faux leather couch to a Cognac color to bring more warmth.

• howistyle
    3 months ago

Staining faux leather? I have never heard of that…why? Just sell the set you have on FB Marketplace and buy something that suits you from the same site if you are trying to stay within a budget. You need to give people a reason to go into the front room. Library room? Music? Games?

• HU-402831377
    3 months ago

The family room looks very nice. In the front room I would switch the couch and the love seat and pull them more onto the rug. Pull them away from the window some as suggested above. Add a nice coffee table, end table, and art.

You could add more wood beams in the living room which would warm it up some. It is hard to tell from the picture if that would work. I also don't know if that is your style.

Are both spaces painted the same color? They look different. I agree with howistyle above that a rug with warmer color for the living room will help connected them more. Are the colors in the family room black and brown?

• kazzh
    3 months ago

Try moving the furniture as it has been suggested before trying to change the color. At present it is all jammed up one end of the room. Add some upright floor lamps, but steer clear of chrome or cold finishes - think about wood or brushed bronze finishes, or add some lamp tables with substantial size lamps. Keep away from the cold finishes in any tables and the room will begin to warm up. A larger scale art piece on the long wall will again add to the room.

Maybe even an ottoman to act as a coffee table.

Looking at the drapery, I’m thinking it is adding to the cool effect. Maybe some linen drapes or parchment color - not a strong cream but not stark white either- which will be ‘warming’.

Suggest staggering any purchases so you don’t over fill the room in trying to create the right feeling.

• ptreckel
    3 months ago

I would center the long sofa on the long wall and face it towards the foyer. I would either place the small loveseat facing the window at a right angle to the sofa, or replace it with TWO chairs in a different fabric, a print?, facing each other on either side of the sofa. A coffee table in front of the sofa. A large piece of art above the sofa. As a start…. A floor plan with all measurements and additional photos of the entire space would help.

• Maureen
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

How will you be using the room/will bring you in there; layout and comfort are key. Highly suggest replacing the love seat with occasional chairs for a more updated, congenial and balanced space. Don’t dye couch and I think once room is accessoried, it could work. If you really dislike and/or not comfortable, maybe now is the time to replace so you can get the feeling you are after.

Highly suggest looking on line for inspiration and look for similar colors/style as your family room if that’s important to you. Accessorizing is key and save pictures that appeal to you so have a plan before you begin. Take your time.

Be sure the rug is large enough and it’s is a good jumping off point, helping with other choices .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

The exposed beam IMO neds to be painted like the ceiling since it makes no sense where it is. The LR needs a focal point ans IMO the TV and the FP need to not be in the same space where the TV is mounted too high for viewing . I would switch the use of the spaces and put the TV in the space you call the LR then both space s have afocal point the TV will bea the right viewing height and the bar will be where you entrtain.

• PRO
    Everything Home
    28 days ago

Below are three separate designs we have done for our clients. Both have a living room and a family room. Note how different each is from the other.

Posh Home Remodel · More Info

Posh Home Remodel · More Info

Scandinavian Modern · More Info

Scandinavian Modern · More Info

The Van Buren Project · More Info

The Van Buren Project · More Info

• felizlady
    27 days ago

Center the long sofa on the long wall. The short sofa could face the window from the far end of the rug. A couple of comfortable single upholstered chairs could help form a conversational arrangement without blocking the access to the living room. A larger coffee table on the rug. Guests will need somewhere to place a drink or a plate if you serve appetizers and drinks in the room, so add a couple of end tables, perhaps with lamps. Add art: a large painting or a couple of medium paintings over the sofa. A few accent pillows on the sofa and loveseat can pick up a color or two from the rug. That’s how I would start.

• jo mu
    27 days ago

I think your design style in 2nd room looks nice and you should design the room in that style.

That beam doesn't look good imo looks weird that there's a space and its not centered in the main peak. Maybe add more beams or remove and do it going the other way

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    27 days ago

Hard to see the front room with just the one picture. It would be better if you could put the TV in that room. Maybe we have measurements of that room that include walls, windows, doors and openings?

• PRO
    lisedv
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Your family room seems nicely furnished compared to the empty living room. Are you planning on buying additional furniture? How are you planning to use that room and how much seating will you be needing? We need a floor plan with dimensions showing windows, doors, walkway space, etc. to make any suggestions...

• PRO
    lisedv
    26 days ago

I don't have any dimensions so I'm simply putting out some ideas...

I would bring the seating more centered into the room with the 3 seater against the wall and the 2 seater away from the window. Then place additional furniture and decor. I would bring the curtains higher up on the window wall with either 2 or 3 panels to accentuate the height in the room and place a grouping of art frames above the 3 seater that also goes high up on the wall. If you're able to install a large chandelier, that would also look nice.

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors: The Hamptons
    10 days ago

For the living room, you might consider placing the sofa facing the wall that the loveseat is currently on, then moving the loveseat to where the sofa currently is. Then add a console with artwork, or a TV, over it, some side tables, and a small ottoman or coffee table. Please take a moment to look at some of our living room designs for more ideas.

Oceanfront Oasis: Living Room · More Info

Simply High Line · More Info

Southampton Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Southampton Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    10 days ago

I believe A Lo is long gone. The original posting was back in January.