Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_c_1992

what to do with this room?

Jenny Cannaday
3 months ago

Help! Looking for ideas for this room. It is a random small room to the right of our entry foyer and is the first thing someone will see as they enter house. It opens on one side to family/living room and
another side to a separate dining room.

Unfortunately, there’s no privacy which means we cannot do an office. I am thinking just a small sitting, game room idea. Gets great light.

Comments (7)

• Jenny Cannaday
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Photo 1- taken just inside of front entryway
    Photo 2- taken from family/living room dining room to left, front entry to right
    Photo 3- taken from dining room

• Elizabeth K
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Hi Jenny! A few ideas in a moment if I can get back here lol! as I multi-task. But just to let you know, you have a grand entrance hall on your hands! Lovely molding, classical style! At first glance, and just to try these out! and to have a ”look” before any major decisions: Traditional look would be: long black trestle side tables, in finish matching the piano, enormous plant pots, a column or two if you feel the classical urge. I think most would encourage gallery style photo collections, chinoiserie, grandfather clock. My preference here:

-complementary wall hangings or giant framed pieces, one above piano, one perhaps easel style

-Long varnished black trestle table with large large baskets

-Yes to chinoiserie, a nod to the classic entrance hall requirement, the umbrella stand (tall pottery)

-And should you choose to go enormous plant, ficus, or smaller, orange or lemon tree, put a Seeking add out — many a beloved indoor potted tree needs a home when owners move!

-Last but not least, and if nothing else, a unique, or magnificent, modern or baroque, anything goes! hanging light fixture!

Also, an architect might suggest a few low partition walls 6 feet from the door, but you can create those with boards to see if you like the idea. Contributor here, Norwood Architects ? , might have mock up suggestions.

Your entrance sets the theme of the whole house. I confess to a gothic pump organ sitting in mine at the moment, and while it might not stay lol! the entrance must truly reflect who you are, who lives there, and what you love!

Have a wonderful time!

• Elizabeth K
    3 months ago

Oh dear, the ”edit” on phone….

• Elizabeth K
    3 months ago

https://www.houzz.com/products/sputnik-18-light-chandelier-chrome-prvw-vr~120037909

Should you go with the a big beautiful ficus, love the Sputnik creations! Lovely home, and enjoy your creative adventure!

• PRO
    Douglah Designs
    last month

This looks a like a great space. Since you already have the piano, you could easily do a small sofa by the windows or just two armchairs to make a small conversation area. You might also look into getting a rug, to help ground the space, and maybe a side table and some artwork.

Traditional Renovation: Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Kimberlee Marie Interiors
    9 days ago

This looks like a super great music room. It just needs some added decor. You might consider a large rug in the middle, then a floor lamp and side table with the chair, and then you you flank the entry table with large plants on either side. You could also look at adding an ottoman to go with the chair. Below are some visuals to aid you more with this dilemma. Note the floor lamp, side table, rug, furniture, artwork, and how we decorated the console table for our client:

Clyde Hill Home · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info

Lakemont Luxury · More Info