Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meems15

Modern Marble-Look Tile Layout

Michelle NJ
13 days ago

Hi Houzzers. We are just finishing a bathroom and aesthetic is super modern and clean. Without consulting my designer or me, our traditional-inspired contractor instructed his tile guy to lay each 24 x 24 piece of tile with direction of veining to be same in each placement. See pic1 where all veining is going Northeast. I think this looks AWFUL as I think that if you are going for a marble look but clearly cannot achieve the actual look of one large piece then you must vary each piece so it appears intentional. The way he did it makes it just seem like we aimed for a full wall of marble but failed. I’m not sure I explained this well but can y’all please tell me if my gut is correct and if so, why? Designer is out of town so I need to do this one on my own. See Pic1 for current bathroom wall and additional pics for my inspo pics. Thx!!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    13 days ago

You are correct--it's supposed to be set randomly. (There's another post on this very topic today.)

It doesn't look like it's totally finished, so I'd have him change it the way it looks in your inspiration photos.

• millworkman
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

" so I'd have him change it the way it looks in your inspiration photos. "

Just be certain that when the waterproofing system gets compromised it gets repaired. What is the waterproofing system behind the tile? Also what is going on with the those two cutouts with no cement board, taped joints or waterproofing? They look very sketchy to me and would give me serious concerns about the overall waterproofing system used.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    13 days ago

The cutouts are recessed medicine cabinets. Still concerning??

• dani_m08
    13 days ago

I think millworkman was concerned that the cutouts were shower niches = why he had serious concerns re: waterproofing.

What I don’t understand re: tile layout (besides for it looking odd all leaning same direction) is why did he use the EXACT same veining pattern pieces right next to each other instead of mixing them up? Or - at least flipping the way it’s installed (I guess that would ruin the vein direction he decided to do).

Your tile has much less veining than in your inspirational photos - however, my tile installer specifically discussed veining and shades of color of my genuine Carrrara tiles re: how I wanted it to look when installed. I had already culled out pieces I didn’t like + put them in piles so they’d be ready for him to install - but he didn’t know that.

I would think that the installer would ask what ”look” you wanted when installing this type of tile. I would think that he’s installed a TON of it over the past few years - and I assume that the homeowners each preferred a certain ”look” - although, there are some people who wouldn’t really care (I’m the opposite!)

• Monique
    13 days ago

The big issue is the tile choice. There are not enough faces to it to truly achieve random. There are too many repeats of the same exact pattern, because there is a low face count.

• millworkman
    13 days ago

" The cutouts are recessed medicine cabinets. Still concerning?? "

Yes, dani is correct, my thoughts were this was a shower. Now looking closer I can see that it is not. So no, not a concern.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    13 days ago

It would have been nice to have been staggered more. I don't think it is horrible though. Once the vanity , med cabs and lights go in, it might not be so glaring. Right now it is all you have to look at.

Tried to mock it up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• chispa
    13 days ago

I think the problem is that this particular tile has too few pattern faces. I always pay more for tiles that have more pattern faces and give you less repeated tiles.

I did my marble-look porcelain tiles with the veining going in the same direction. One of my guest bathrooms ...