Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_hall1477

Door Under Stairway Different Height

Jackie Hall
13 days ago

We are in the process of building a custom home. I had been planning on painting our interior doors SW iron ore with brass hardware. On a recent walk through, I realized that the door under our stairway is a different height (shorter) than our other doors. There are 4 other doors on this relatively short hallway, which is making me rethink painting the doors. Would it look strange to paint the doors such a bold color with one being a different height? Would it be better to paint the doors the same color of the walls?

Comments (10)

• millworkman
    12 days ago

You could paint the othger three how you wish and I would just paint the door under the stairs the wall color. You really are not looking to make that door a feature or really noticed entity, you just kind of want it there and to blend in and sort of disappear.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    12 days ago

Am not sure painting your doors the same color as the walls is a good idea. Would suggest a crisp white for doors and trim including the door to the understair area.

• Jackie Hall
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Fair point. I meant a more neutral color (a crisp white) as opposed to a black

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    12 days ago

Bold doors should lead to something equally bold or great......

Do closets or STAIR qualify? Not usually: )

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

Alternatively you CAN install a standard height door there, the top part of the door would be 'blind' when opened. Could lead to some knocked heads but can look better. I had this situation in a previous house where the bedroom had full height ceilings but the hall outside had a slope (roof) that would have clipped the top corner of the door off. By leaving the door square it looked much better from the bedroom side and avoided a custom door.

• Jackie Hall
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@Jan Moyer, I’m not sure I agree with this statement. Does a bedroom, laundry room or bathroom qualify? I’m more focused on uniformity and symetrt

• Jackie Hall
    Original Author
    12 days ago

@hallet & Co, wish this was an option. The door under the stairway is 6’8” so not worried about folks hitting their heads generally. Our other doors are 8’ and there is just not enough space under the stairway for a door that height

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

But there is enough space in the wall- I assume the wall is standard height on the hall side but you are accessing the space under the stairs with a lower ceiling?

• Jackie Hall
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Yes because he landing is not at 10ft (the overall ceiling height)and the door is under where the stairs increase in height to the second floor.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

Does this picture help? See the door with a triangle of the opening blocked? That’s the roof slope and I didn’t want a funny shaped door in the bedroom so the wall was framed for a standard door even though the roof rafter blocked the top left corner. Now imagine in your house an 8’ door in a 10’ wall. When you open the door the top 16” would be a blank panel because the room beyond only has an 80” ceiling height.