Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckell33

Help me choose a range hood!

ckell33
11 days ago

What type of range hood would you suggest here? The kitchen designer has it drawn up as a freestanding hood. (Too bare?) You can see in the eraser marks that I’ve also played around with a full horizontal hood that would go from left cabinet to cabinet (7 ft so too wide?) and also a full horizontal span with ’legs’ that would run down the cabinetry where I could put spices, etc. (Too trendy?)

I welcome any and all opinions, suggestions, advice, criticism. Thank you!

Comments (15)

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

Have you searched on Houzz?

What do you like?

Bell Kitchen and Bath Studios · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Northway · More Info

Extreme Renovation · More Info

The Aynsley · More Info

JacksonBuilt Custom Homes · More Info

Plateau Updated · More Info

Burr Ridge, IL Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Shaker Kitchen · More Info

Fairlane Build · More Info

Kitchen with Paisley Tiles · More Info

• ckell33
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@Boxerpal I have. At this point I’ve looked at so much that I’m more unsure of what I want than when i started ha. i love the photo below (www.heidiwoodmaninteriors.com) but i am very worried that the horizontal section will be too vast on 7ft.…

Thoughts?

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

@ckell33 Oh that is a great hood. I can see why you like it. I do not think that hood is 7 feet.

Maybe could you do 5 feet and two narrow cabinets on either end like this...

Parkwood Road Residence Kitchen · More Info

or this.

similar to this but of course the hood you want would be 5 feet narrow cabs like below.

Kitchen Range & Scullery · More Info

for perspective here is very long probably 7 foot hood

Palmerston Kitchen · More Info

• ckell33
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I do like those narrow cabinets. Thats a great idea. A 7 ft space feels like it will be too large a focal point. Right?!!

• Boxerpal
    10 days ago

I think so.. Could your designer mock it up for you? The idea in your inspiration photo is to go BIG so don't be afraid of that. I think 50 or 60 inches will be wonderful.

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

Any 7’ hood will overwhelm the space. I think Boxerpal made the best suggestion- add cabinets in the sides to get the hood better proportioned.

The first question should be “what material do you want”? Should it match your cabinets or be a contrasting “star”? Hoods are so pretty now, the decision is hard.

I’m sure your contractor would hate if you decided on a hood after the room was completed, but that might be the best idea. Then you can get Houzzer’s ideas and mock ups with your new, real kitchen.

• btydrvn
    10 days ago

I would be more concerned with the different cabinetry on each side as well as the inaccessibility of the too tall cabinets…kitchens ..need..to function well …first and foremost…the scale in general needs to come down to human level..

• ckell33
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@RedRyder, thank you for the honest opinion on the hood length. And that’s a great idea on waiting until cabinets are installed. Our contractor is also a friend so I do not think he would mind us doing this, so long as we get what we want in the end.

• ckell33
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@btydrvn, yes thank you for that perspective. I do hope to find a range hood to create some balance with the tall cabinetry. The cabinet to the right is a hidden pantry and we have reworked the cabinetry to the left to replicate the panels. Do you think trim at the top like theyre showing in the pic i posted above would help bring it down to human level. I will say, I’m 6’ and my husband is 6’4” so human level for us always feels a bit short ha ha.

• ptreckel
    10 days ago

I would advise against tall thin cabinets coming down to your counter on either side of your hood. Awkward and cutting into surface space for preparation. Instead, consider wiring for sconces on either side of the hood. If you do decide on glass fronted cabinets (not that the glass won’t get grease spots on it!), you could use the outlets for interior lighting of the cabinets. But I would go with simple sconces and just tile the entire back wall behind the range and hood. Lovely!

• jwatters99
    9 days ago

Mine is 7 ft. (Circa 2007 for full disclosure.)

• ckell33
    Original Author
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

@jwatters99 thank you for sharing this pic. Really gives me a sense of what 7ft will ‘actually’ look like. You did a beautiful job here… love the backsplash!

• jwatters99
    9 days ago

That’s kind of you! We bought the house and can’t take credit for the design, but I did have the tile insert replaced. Glad you like it. The kitchen isn’t what I would choose today, but they did a great job choosing high quality materials and pretty classic finishes so I can live with it for quite awhile. Good luck with your project! Hope you post pictures of the finished product.

• ckell33
    Original Author
    9 days ago

@jwatters99 also, do you have any regrets about doing the hood like this? Has it functioned well for you? Still appease you aesthetically?

• jwatters99
    9 days ago

It functions great. It’s a powerful hood and extends beyond the 48” range top. We were probably typing at the same time - Aesthetically the detail of the hood and cabinetry isn’t what I would choose today. But they did a terrific job on the layout of the kitchen and the scale of the cabinetry. There’s a ceiling height change they had to deal with and I’m sure it caused some tossing and turning for the architect and designer. But it’s the most functional kitchen I’ve had. The large hood is a focal point for the combined kitchen/family room and is balanced opposite by the fireplace. It’s a big hood, but it’s in a big room with vaulted ceilings so I think it works.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm