Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrissy1c

Help with this wall

Chrissy Murphy
10 days ago

I just took a large piece of art off this wall. What should I replace it with? Two pieces of art, gallery wall, etc?

Comments (26)

• Kay Stu
    10 days ago

Summer art fair season is coming up. Start with a piece you love and add to the wall until you have a gallery or salon wall.

• shirlpp
    10 days ago

Maybe a console with art or a mirror above it. Do you have a pic of it with the previous artwork on it?

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    10 days ago

This is what i had on the wall. It is a walkway so I can’t put a console there.

• S J
    10 days ago

I agree maybe a console with art above? It would help to be able to see the other sides of the room - right now the room looks quite unbalanced.

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

It looks like you have room for a console table, so I would start with that, as large as you can find. Looks like you have room for a 72" one, but measure it before you shop. The console will then suggest what you put over it. Maybe a gallery wall of family photos? People take so many pictures these days, but not very many seem to end up on display. One of my friends has started having photos printed on canvas and is building a gallery wall over time with vacation photos and pictures of the grandchilden, pets, etc. Or frame photos all in black frames in different (or the same) sizes. If you want flexibility in the arrangement, install shallow shelves so you can swap pieces in and out easily. A carefully currated gallery wall takes a lot of thought. While some of these rooms aren't like yours, I'm posting the pictures just to show different ways to arrange things.

Dining Room · More Info

Upper Canyon Estate 2 · More Info

Millennium Tower · More Info

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

You better fix the furnishings layout before you select art. You've got a big issue with the position of your seating. Let's see the total room so we can advise you correctly.

• Tara
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, I'm not a designer....can you tell me what is wrong with that layout? I've seen it in houses, and I thought it was good to let people in to sit from that side. I'm really trying to learn.

• PRO
    Blackberry's Remodeling
    10 days ago

I would recommend a new modern accent wall, it could make that space look much much better.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 days ago

Show us the room and we'll fix it for you,

Here is why you cannot overlap sofas

Here are some examples of rooms that have sofas meeting at right angles to one another. You can see that they do not overlap.

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Hi Beverly, The furniture is all gone and the new sofa and chairs are in my garage ready to be brought in. I will post the new furniture when I get it in but there is no room for a credenza on that wall because it is a walkway. I like a gallery wall but I already have this one upstairs…

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 days ago

Pictures, pictures and not one of them shows us the ROOM!!!

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    9 days ago

I will post a pic when I get the new furniture in but here it is now

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

A floorplan is needed.

• enajasereht
    9 days ago

Is that your TV above the fireplace? Seems awfully high. I'd place your tv on the bare wall even if it is a walkway. It's still better there I think.

• enajasereht
    9 days ago

I see you have an arm that brings the TV down for viewing. Even so I think it would look better on your blank wall.

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Ok thank you for all the suggestions. Here is the new furniture in the room. It’s not 💯 finished but hopefully that gives better views to decide what to put on that wall. The wall is 143” wide and floor to sofit is 9ft.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 days ago

Well, you did good!! Are we accenting in brown or blue or both???

Are you using the sideboard or not??

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Thank you. Much better than those big grey eyesores. I don’t think a sideboard would fit with it being the major walkway. I’m trying to get away from to much blue but I like a brown, tan maybe a little gold for an accent piece. Hard to tell from the pics but the sofa is a tan with great texture.

• kchaps
    8 days ago

Your room looks beautiful and so does the rest of you home! Jeez Beverly, you told her “you have a big issue” cmon she could have just moved her couch a foot and had it match up.

• Boxerpal
    8 days ago

ooooh this is going to be a fabulous space. Looking forward to seeing all the ideas come in and how you decide you want to use your space.

For me, I could not have the TV that high or on a arm to lower it. My TV is also mounted on my fireplace but much lower to allow comfort. It is also between two built ins. Love your navy rug and those cool chairs.. And especially that sweet dog.

• mmc429
    8 days ago

Can we find the blue velvet chairs on FB marketplace any time soon?!

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 days ago

Adding large original artworks to a space is an excellent way to er. Best of luck !

• shirlpp
    8 days ago

If you just don't want to put a console on that wall - that is fine, however, it really looks like there is more than enough space for it.

It looks like 15" would fit and you'd still have a walkway.

For your upper: A picture ledge(3) would look really nice.

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you everyone! You’ve given me great ideas!! @boxerpal the tv in on a mantel mount so it lowers very close to the wall. @mmc429 the chairs are now on fb marketplace! I’m in Seattle so not sure where you may want them shipped.

• Chrissy Murphy
    Original Author
    8 days ago

@beverlyFLDeziner and shirlpp there really isn’t enough room for a sideboard on that wall. I think just art will have to do.