Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tola_anjorinjnr

Thoughts on changes to this front elevation?

Tolla
9 days ago
last modified: 9 days ago

The picture below is the front elevation of a new construction. The original design is that the wooden section would be horizontal and wider, but it's vertical and narrow and doesn't look as good and balanced as I imagined.

I'd appreciate feedback/suggestions on the following options:

1. Replace the leftmost (white) side with horizontal wood panels to add balance and get the wood ascent I was going for.

2. Add wood accents to the peaks to add some balance

3. Remove the wood all together

4. Leave it as is (not an option really :)

5. Do something better, that I am not currently thinking about

Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)

• doods
    9 days ago

5 .... I'm sure the pro's on here will have some good suggestions.

Tolla thanked doods
  • Kendrah
    9 days ago

I don't understand how the original design is not what was built. Is there a back story here that impacted the design and did it effect more than just the measurements of this area?

I see what your vision was but don't think it is working. Wood accents on the peaks might look like MicDonald's golden arches. Your roof color and black seem to clash, and there doesn't seem to be a continuity between the black and white sections of your house. The width of the garage has no balance or size ratio relating to the black parts of the house. I literally looks like a random kid's lego project.

But, I do think there are solutions. I'd make both black parts of the house white. Then start to figure out modern farm house adornments.

Tolla thanked Kendrah
  • chispa
    9 days ago

It looks like one of those town house developments where they paint every other unit a different color. I agree with comment above that you should get rid of the black paint.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    9 days ago

Agree that what's black now should be white. But maybe paint the wood black to draw the eye to the front door below. Perhaps someone here can illustrate that.

Tolla thanked RappArchitecture
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    9 days ago

Or with just overhang

• J Sk
    9 days ago

No black, white would look much better, more cohesive.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    9 days ago

"Structure" would work cos I got some inspiration from new construction in your area. :-))

• anj_p
    8 days ago

This color blocking of gables in black and white is a trend in my area as well, and I just can't get on board. It looks like multiple different dwellings stitched together, as @chispa said.

Is your entryway finished? Or is there more to be added there? If so and you really want wood accents, maybe do columns (if you have them) in wood. Or the soffit of your entry. Maybe flower boxes if you like those and plan to do them.

But I would absolutely ditch the black and paint everything the same color. It would be much more cohesive and less trendy (and this is not a good trend IMO).

Tolla thanked anj_p
  • mcarroll16
    8 days ago

This is a fairly simple clean elevation, for a large new build. And I mean that in a very positive way. Lean into the simplicity for the best design. Remove the wood, make everything white, get a great landscape (one good-sized tree would go a long way).

The random wood accents are the most "right now" trend, going in so many places they shouldn't, and the thing that will look the most outdated in 10 years.

Tolla thanked mcarroll16
  • K Laurence
    8 days ago

Agree with comments re getting rid of the black. i wouldn’t add wood accents either. They’ve been added to many homes in my area ( So Cal ) & they look terrible after a few years unless maintained properly.