Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolhopkins

Blue fantasy Island

Carol Hopkins
11 days ago

I am building a new house and fell in love with a slab of blue fantasy dolamite. I’m not sure I want to do the whole kitchen in it tho. Does anyone have suggestions on what quartz would coordinate (not compete) with the blue fantasy?

The cabinets are alabaster with gold hardware. I’m planning to paint the island a pale blue like SW Moonmist. I have not selected a backsplash yet.

Comments (25)

• auntthelma
    11 days ago

Gorgeous.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you. I’m not sure I want to do the whole kitchen in it. Each slab is beautiful. It’s a large kitchen but still worried the blue fantasy all over would be too much. I found a Carmen Minuet quartz that I like. It had subtle gray veining but not sure how they will look together. Fabricator said they could order and if I changed mind, I would only need to pay a restocking fee. The Carmen minuet perimeter and blue fantasy is over budget. The blue fantasy for everything is under budget. The fabricator has in stock options for the perimeter cabinets in solid grays and whites that would be below budget. Here is a photo of the blue fantasy and Carmen minuet side by side. My gut (and pocketbook) is telling me to go with a solid. Would love to hear thoughts from other people to help with the decision.

• Ruth
    11 days ago

Beautiful stone. In my opinion do not use a synthetic stone with real stone. Quartz looks so fake. You could use the blue slab all over, but the I think everything else should be white. If you have an island you could use it on that and let it be a statement piece, but then I would still do the perimeter in white or perhaps another lightly veined stone. No Quartz.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I hadn’t thought of not mixing the stone with quartz. Another thing to think about.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    11 days ago

I am with Ruth, more or less. Faced the same issue on my latest project. I prefer natural stone all the way around or man made all around. 2 issues can complicate it (for me) A. what will the backsplash be? Using a third material is against my own rules 😀. So I keep it at 2. The slab you pictured is beautiful, BUT the stronger the statement of the natural stone , the sooner you get tired of it. I considered an all white secondary stone for the counters and backsplash and the island in a flashy slab like you have. Hope this helps...just one designers opinion. And we all have them :)

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Ruth, would you do the whole kitchen in fantasy blue? I also considered doing a dark granite, or soap stone, for the perimeter cabinets. The cabinets are white and it’s a big kitchen. Finding a white granite that doesn’t have a lot of movement will be challenging. I don’t want to do a white marble because of maintenance/staining issues. I know blue fantasy is a a hard marble but maintenance will be less than all white marble.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Arden Hills. Did you use fantasy all over your kitchen with white cabinets? Would love to see photos. I’m considering a glass tile backsplash in blue or white. Nothing busy or complicated. I’d post a photo of it here but site isn’t allowing me to post more than one photo for some reason.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

Dolomite=marble. Be sure that you are up for the challenge of living with marble before falling for that completely.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    11 days ago

Gorgeous stone! I am not of fan of different countertops to begin with and would never use a real stone with Quartz or other manmade. If your kitchen is large and bright enough, you can probably get away with blue fantasy everywhere. Personally, it’s too much movement for me, but with the “right everything else” you’d have a stunning room. Yes, do think about the implications of your daily life with marble/dolomite. I’m at the age in life where I want marble, don’t care about maintenance or red wine stains or etching - but I’d have to re-do everything to accommodate that. I don’t care to do that right now.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

I wasn’t planning to be building a new home at my age but here I am… not sure how long I will live here so resale could happen in 2-5 years. I’m artsy (fairly decent untrained artist in paint and jewelry making) ) so I gravitate toward movement and color. I can walk in the woods and find something interpreting and unusual that captures my interest where someone else wouldn’t see what I see. I frequently have to remind myself that sometimes less is more. I don’t know if the blue fantasy slab will work in this kitchen. It has an unusual layout; not square or rectangular-more angles than is typical and the island is center in the angle to the corner angle. I have some fabulous bras lighting selected they will make a statement on it’s own. Thinking I may need to focus more on the KISS principle for the counters.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

BRASS not bras. My fabulous bras days are behind me🤣

• Mrs Pete
    10 days ago

I am building a new house and fell in love with a slab of blue fantasy dolamite. I’m not sure I want to do the whole kitchen in it tho.

I think your instinct is correct. It's a bossy stone that makes a strong statement, and a little of it would go a long way.

In my opinion do not use a synthetic stone with real stone. Quartz looks so fake.

Yes. This.

I'd vote for a dark gray soapstone -- a quiet stone -- to match the dark in "the star stone".

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Love this idea

• Val B
    10 days ago

I disagree with most of the posters here. In my last kitchen I did a white quartz with marble slab backsplash. It looked amazing. I think the key was that the white in the marble was very opaque like the quartz.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

The silestone eternal serena in the matte would be perfect

I would do your island in a ebonized oak,

or a natural white oak. the others in white

I'm partial to the quartz since I have it in my own kitchen! did a calacatta marble island

My island is BM Wrought Iron

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Beautiful. It is really helpful to see how a lighter gray vs dark looks with the blue fantasy slab.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

❤️

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Beth H. Your photos were very helpful! I hadn’t thought of doing the island in a solid color and the perimeter in the blue fantasy. Is that what you’re suggesting? Of the 2 colors you posted, I like the lighter gray. My floor is a beautiful old world aged oak (lighter color French country) and the color scheme is coastal calm (light blue, grays and taupes). I haven’t selected final wall colors but leaning toward a monochrome look with alabaster on walls (eggshell) and trim (semi gloss). Cabinets are alabaster in satin. I haven’t selected the tile for the backsplash. If I go with the blue fantasy, the tile will be very simple. If you have suggestions on tile color with blue fantasy on perimeter cabinets and the Silestone eternal serena, I would love to see them! Thank you so much for posting the side my side photos. So very helpful!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 days ago

I love that stone I would do an island with that no 2 toned cabinets and then a dark soapstone for the permimeter . I hate fake stone plastic quartz always and for sure not next to that fabulous stone .

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Beth H. I don’t have the option for an oak wood island. It could be painted but I’d need to select a color by Monday as cabinets are in production. I’m going for a coastal theme colors (I live in the south). I had a lot of black and wood at last house so wanting to go light and bright with this one.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 days ago

Carol:

In the design world, "bras lighting" is a thing:

• Rachel
    10 days ago

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago when I was picking out finishes for my new build. I selected a granite, Thunder White, and wanted to do something solid on the perimeter. Perimeter cabinets are a soft white and island is a gray/blue. I looked for the perfect stone for a few weeks, then finally decided to use the granite on both island and perimeter. I decided that I was looking for the impossible; a stone that looked good with island and perimeter cabinets and coordinated with the stone. It looks good. I selected the most dramatic slab for the island, of course. Since the colors are soft, it looks fine on the perimeter. For your stone, you'd probably want to ensure they template the best areas for the perimeter.

Kitchen · More Info

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Rachel., I actually seriously considered thunder white but the slabs had too much black and a lot of movement. I like the color in veining in your slab. I happen to live about 2 hours from the granite capital of the US (Elberton, Ga) and I’m going back next week to make the final selections. I’m also looking at river white and another dolamite that has less movement. Forget name now: Narib?

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Patrica, I like the soapstone idea too. There is some beautiful soapstone at one the granite supplies I’m visiting next week. The blue fantasy is at a different supplier so I will not be able to see them side by side.

• Carol Hopkins
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Joseph🤣. Yes it’s a thing but it’s a thing that can be easily changed