Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwilkin444

Paint, reface or refinish cabinets + kitchen refresh

Coco Wilkinson
10 days ago

We want to refresh our kitchen for under $10,000 for ourselves but also should we sell it in the future. At 70, we are unsure if we will be able to live here the next two years or twenty.

Should we paint, reface or refinish the cabinets? They are supposedly cypress and want to keep them.

If we had them painted, would it look good to be the same color as the crown molding? What about a good wall color? It would be good if it could be a whole house color.

The granite, which we are ok keeping, is Kasmir Gold. Current wall color is BM Golden Straw. I’m thinking a similar LRV of 69 since it’s a north facing room, warm beige?

There are 10’ ceilings and we like traditional/transitional.

We need new tile too but that question will be tackled another time.

There have been so many helpful responses to others. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• RedRyder
    10 days ago

Get a quote for refacing. A new door style will update your house better than painting the current ones. Having a price for refacing is important for your decision.

If you’re thinking you might be selling within a few years, consider redoing the countertop as well and save money by painting (not tiling) the backsplash.

Coco Wilkinson thanked RedRyder
  • J from Lakes Country
    10 days ago

Goodness, I think your cabinets and counters look quite nice! Perhaps you can see defects in person that don't show up in a photo. I think the wall color may be the place to look for a boost. The current color is very serene, but doesn't seem to coordinate with the floor tile.

Are there upgrades to do inside the cabinets to make them more functional such as pull out drawers? No one wants to crawl to look inside base cabinets at any age!

• kandrewspa
    10 days ago

I like the granite. There are a lot of 20 year old granites out there that are a lot more difficult to work with. Perhaps you could only reface the uppers to get rid of the arched tops and paint the rest. Refacing can be expensive. After you decide which color to make the cabinets repaint the walls. That's a nice color but yellow is not used much now.

• chloe00s
    10 days ago

I agree with RedRyder - The biggest thing that dates your kitchen is the arch in the doors of the upper cabinets. Your lower cabinet doors are squared off. Ideally, I would replace all door fronts with full overlay doors, and paint,. But for less $, I would replace just the upper cabinet doors to match the squared off lowers (that is a classic door design that you should be able to match) and paint all the cabinets. I do notice, though, that the side of the upper cabinet by the sink shows that same arch. Never seen that done on the side of a cabinet. Not sure how you deal with that!

Coco Wilkinson thanked chloe00s
  • Coco Wilkinson
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Wow. I’m pretty impressed by the beautiful ideas and the many options to consider. Everyone is 100% right that the wall paint color has to go and something done to cabinets.

The next step for me is to run the idea by my husband, start checking out estimates and materials. Thank you for your time and ideas. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do.

• RedRyder
    9 days ago

Let us know what you choose to do. Beth gave you A TON of great ideas. If you’re even a little handy, you can save a lot of money and get “a new kitchen” without getting a new kitchen.

Coco Wilkinson thanked RedRyder