Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danarone

5 year old daughters bedroom .... Needs a makeover

10 years ago
Thanks so much in advance for helping. Daughter is 5. Likes rainbows so I made one on paper for her wall. Likes all colors so just painted recently. Here are my challenges: rally small. Need to get her a bed and want to make it cute for her. She loves to be at her little table so a table or desk are a must and she loves reading and would love a chair but I can't make it all fit. One dresser in thee now, ally small closet. What should I do? How do I make this tiny room a place that she can love?
( right now it opens into our room and hall. She's grateful for everything.... Ideas? Thanks tons! Dana

Comments (61)

• 10 years ago
    another idea: would it work to have a small shelf built into the wall near the window (that she could use for a shelf and then to put the bed you all seemed to like (with the shelving underneath) on the window wall but wouldn't have to fit in that inset part? love the bean bag / comfy desk chair and mini desk ideas! thank for sending specifics! lisa, where did you get that bed and do i have to go pottery barn on it?
  • 10 years ago
    I have to ask, is the bookcase secured to the wall? It looks like it could tip if she or a friend were to climb up the shelves to reach something.
    Dana Rone thanked juliab51
  • 10 years ago
    She needs a bed. You can use the space under it to store things
  • 10 years ago
    Instead of hardwiring it into the ceiling, get a light weight chandelier swag lamp. Hanging it from the ceiling won't be a problem. How about a smaller dresser and mirror for now. A daybed with storage could go on the wall with the rainbow. Get a desk with book shelves over the desk. Something like this but on a much smaller scale!
    Lea Haley Daybed in White - Full · More Info
    Home Styles Bermuda Wood Daybed, Brushed White Finish · More Info
    Bedroom · More Info
  • 10 years ago
    I had to look close, but I see the little sweetie on her bed! :)
    Dana Rone thanked User
  • 10 years ago
    I was renting a very old house and wasn't allowed to change out the ceiling fixture, so I had a very old crystal chandelier and had the cord switched out for a longer swag cord and hung it from a standing bird cage stand. It was basically a tall thin white iron hook and it worked great. Not sure if you have room for something like that in your daughter's room, but it would add a little glam without adding a lot of cost or require any rewiring. Also, IKEA has some adorable small chandeliers which are very inexpensive.
  • 10 years ago
    This is one from IKEA for $39.99
    Dana Rone thanked charliebeth
  • 10 years ago
    Why do people post pictures of such messy rooms.....how can we respond when the biggest improvement would be to clean up the room!
  • 10 years ago
    Remove the dresser and put the bed (captain w storage) there, yes it's close to the door but it will work.
    Bring in a smaller dresser across the bed, then use the rainbow wall side as a study/lounge/play area
    Dana Rone thanked Jereda Obol
  • 10 years ago
    lucidos-I LOVE the rug you posted. I LOVE rainbows too!
    dana-I would get a daybed with storage underneath and rearrange the room. I would put the bed where the dresser is now. I would get a desk and put some shelving over it and locate that where the bookshelves are now. She won't be able to reach these sheIves but it would help with storage. Maybe put out of season clothes or special keepsake animals up there. IF the dresser is still needed it should go on the long wall opposite to where it is now (across from where bed will be moved to). I like the window decal idea. What you have already done with the wall is super cute though.
    pmkrell-If you can't say something helpful, are you part of the problem or the solution?
    Dana Rone thanked hollywaterfall
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Stencilling is a great way to create a polished artwork on walls as well. Great for children's bedrooms because you can just paint over it when they grow out of it.
    Dana Rone thanked Twelve O'clock Dream
  • 10 years ago
    Danarone - how big is the room?

Is it one closet and a sliding door to another room in your picture? Where does the door beside the shelving unit lead to? Do you need the room to have access to both your room and the hall? If you can do away with one door it will give you much more scope to furnish the room. I don't mean block it in necessarily just that furniture can go in front of it.

I would replace your shelf unit with something a bit deeper like IKEA Expidit which is 15 inches deep - big enough to hold storage boxes as well as those oversize picture books I see on the bottom shelf. This would be adaptable as she grows, toys in containers now but clothes and jewellery as she gets older. A proper place to keep things helps kids to be tidier.

She is at the age when kids want to have friends sleeping over so I would go for a day bed like IKEA Hemnes, which pulls out to a double bed and has huge storage drawers as well. You need enough clear space to pull the bed out so it probably needs to be back to the rainbow wall.

I would stick with the little chair and table arrangement for now. It has lots of scope for playing as well as homework. You can't have a tea party round a desk against the wall. It also gives her the opporrtunityto move them around and give her own room a different feel. You could paint the ones you have to match the room or maybe just go for the little white one from Ikea someone else has mentioned. Two chairs would be fun when she has a friend playing.

By the way I am not an ambassador for Ikea - its just I am British so that's the only shop that crosses the Atlantic!
    Dana Rone thanked ruthholmstock
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That window is the perfect rainbow shape! Many you can make her long curtains that hang around and down from that window. You could use sheer fabric and pin it along the top of the window and then let it flow freely down. You could incorporate it with the bed posts too to create a princess like canopy bed.

I agree with getting a bed, preferably one with storage (depending on your budget). She can keep her toys and art supplies in storage underneath it.
    What does the wall with the rainbow on it look like? You could move her book case over there and then put her little table where the bookcase is until you get a desk. Also moving the bed like the photo attached. That will give space for her to put her chair by the desk.
  • 10 years ago
    Purchase a day bed, area rug new table and chairs and give the room a good cleaning. The bookshelf and dresser can stay put
    Dana Rone thanked phankerson
  • 10 years ago
    As some posters have said, I also love the beautiful window and high ceilings in your daughter's room - what a lucky girl!

Why not capitalize on on those great features? Might I suggest placing the bed in front of the window so that sunlight streams in on your daughter in the morning, and add the previously suggested chandelier to emphasize the high ceilings.

Since she is 5, her tastes may change rapidly. Personally I would consider a neutral wall colour like a aery slightly warm white - perhaps Benjamin Moore's cloud white, swiss coffee, or even Chantilly lace for contract with the beautiful rainbow elements you could add. I wouldn't take the rainbow idea too literally, but rather bring in rainbow inspired elements. E.g. rainbow rug, rainbow coloured pennants, or even be a bit more abstract and use voile curtains in different "rainbow" colours and stack them together as a window treatment framing a beautiful white iron or wood bed.

For more storage, you could also add white shelving, cubes along the wall (hidden with a white curtain if you wish), and a nice wooden or padded trunk at the foot of her bed for added storage and seating. It looks you have length in the room, so you could even attach a white painted MDF board on the wall for her to use as a desk.

Examples:
    Image of bed in front of window -
    Debra Campbell Design · More Info

How white makes colours pop -
    Girl bed room · More Info

Rainbow bead curtains - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/204491639299814594/

Rainbox chandelier (nice if the room is painted white) - http://www.pinterest.com/pin/196610339952460004/

Other rainbow inspired ideas

-
    Tween Girl's Bedroom · More Info

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/233413193157292762/

What a fun scheme for a little girl's room - Best of luck!

Jane
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Younger girls tend to love pink but our advice would be to choose a wallpaper with a white background and other accent colours in it so you can paint the rest of the walls yellow, blue or green. also you can have toys picture on the walls like angry bird or something like that
    Dana Rone thanked mark rojberg
  • 10 years ago
    You could get her a loft bed that has open usable area beneath to place other furniture --chair, table, dresser etc. You could put it against your rainbow wall or all the way across in front of the window. My child has curtains on his lower part to offer privacy for his "secret" hideout.
    Dana Rone thanked Elisabeth Sartain
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Five year olds are tough. You could check out our most popular kids' spaces of 2013 for some inspiration:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/photos-of-2013-the-most-popular-kids-spaces-stsetivw-vs~21116907

Or, this is for a teenage girl, but love the sophistication of it:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/this-teen-girls-room-has-total-grown-up-appeal-stsetivw-vs~20281930
    Dana Rone thanked Mitchell Parker
  • 10 years ago
    A big open basket or laundry hamper?
  • 10 years ago
    Would center bed (with underneath storage--lay 2 ikea narrow bookshelves, #201.162.74, on sides back to back with a couple of inches in between for base of bed to hold mattress and boxsprings. Add baskets in shelf areas for storage and headboard) on rainbow wall, headboard against wall. Add small reading chair by window and bookshelf. Small storage table for bedside table on window side and small desk for bedside table on other side of bed. I also like lisachar's ideas.
    Dana Rone thanked dbomom
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    My friend, Carol just sent me this picture, suggesting that I start making these Kid's Beds. Wow! I want to make one for me! but, yes, we can easily make something like this - to your specifications www.thistledownecottage.com the Bed is Attached - she did not give me the source, so I don't know. But I can make the same or similar.
    Dana Rone thanked Peace and Plenty Valley
  • 10 years ago
    How cute is this idea?
    Dana Rone thanked crush2004
  • 10 years ago
    How about a desk that is attached to the wall and folds down when not in use, that would save space.
    Dana Rone thanked halfpint2
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    yes - that's brilliant too! I'm wondering - what it the line of pink under the flower pot? is there a trundle bed in there? for Sleepovers!
    Dana Rone thanked Peace and Plenty Valley
  • 10 years ago
    I wouldn't want to have to change the sheets on that bed though. :)
  • 10 years ago
    Hang a rainbow wind chime in the corner from a hook on the ceiling, the fan will make the music :)
    Dana Rone thanked gypsyrose17
  • 10 years ago
    I sure hope that bookcase is secured to the wall!
    Dana Rone thanked gina55
  • 10 years ago
    I would move the book shelf and put the headboard against the wall. Use a headboard only, no footboard and not a bed that's taller than the window. I would put a chair setting where the dresser is or perhaps seating at the end of the bed. I would do a double bookcase with a desk and chair built in like ruthholmstock above suggested. That large wall with the rainbow would be a perfect place. Move the dresser into the closet to save space. My daughter is 7 and I just remodeled her room. She wanted a paris theme. I had to use the smaller space wisely. I am all about function and avoid clutter with organization. I will attach some images that may help you pull it together.
    Dana Rone thanked smfmom
  • 10 years ago
    I have found it much easier to pick bedding etc.. first and the take a piece to match a paint color, if you choose paint first you re not guaranteed finding bedding to match that is affordable.
    Dana Rone thanked Vicki Godfrey-Steele
  • 10 years ago
    This is actually a nice sized room it just needs editing a bit. What is in that room next to the closet? If it is a walk closet then that is the answer you need. Personally I don't think in this day and age of really good closet systems anyone needs to have dressers. You could spend a little to get a basic closet system professionally installed that hold all her clothes and underthings and such and eliminate the dresser and mirror altogether. Then pick a broader color scheme to accentuate the pink so for example you can do a lavendar, pink and acid green and yellow and add a crystal chandelier. Since she is so young I would not worry to much about all the colors being matchy matchy. You can have her pink walls with contrasting colors and get a raspberry pink sheet and quiltlet set from any good store. Then get some simple repositionable decals and artwork that you can both create or visit the Land of Nod (its a website) and invest in a few prints. Get a colorful rug (Target has great ones, just use cash since they suck at protecting your info.). and get a real bed she can grow into. Also PLEASE anchor that book case it is a tip over nightmare waiting to happen or you can hit Ikea and get those chunky white shelves and stagger them up that wall and put her books and a few stuffed animals and a pink Lava lamp from Walmart would be a wonderful nightlight. Take her old table and paint the top of it and then invest in a few children's chairs from WalMart or Target or make a project and find and unpainted wood furniture store and buy 2 or 3 you can decorate with her. I did some and put my son's hand prints on his and painted the seat backs and legs different colors. It is quite a keepsake. Good luck. She will be very happy in the finished product.
    Dana Rone thanked Christine W
  • 10 years ago
    I bought this rug for my granddaughter from Overstock a few years ago, and she still loves it. Comes in various sizes.
    Dana Rone thanked appytrails
  • 10 years ago
    There are some really great ideas on this site... Her plans are pretty easy to follow, I made the farm house bed and it turned out great (I've never made furniture before).
    http://ana-white.com/plancatalog?keys=&term_node_tid_depth=All&collections=All&findplansbyroom=64&findplansbyskilllevel=All&estimated_lumber_cost=All&style=514
    Dana Rone thanked Stormy B.
  • 10 years ago
    Thanks for the link, Stormy! Great ideas. :)
  • 10 years ago
    swap out lighting. Also get a spindle bed or wire bed. Ikea has a couple great inexpensive options. Paint the backs of the inside of the bookshelf and add colorful contact paper to shelving. And for all that is holy, change your switch plate covers to white!:-)
    Dana Rone thanked octoberjamie
  • 10 years ago
    Younghouselove.com has amazing ideas for girls rooms. Check them out.
    Dana Rone thanked octoberjamie
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    You could build a raised bed and have a cozy reading nook underneath. In the picture I attached, they managed to fit a cozy seating area AND a desk under a twin size bed!

http://www.blindschalet.com/images/blog/guestposts/childs-bed-set-pink-bunk-bed-with-desk.jpg
    Dana Rone thanked onthecoast1
  • 10 years ago
    If you're doing rainbows, the pink and lavender wall colors will have to go -- primaries and pastels fight each other.
    Dana Rone thanked onthecoast1
  • 10 years ago
    I would take the walls back to white since it would make the room look large then accent with a lot of color since you love rainbows. I would put in a day bed with a trundle below for when she has sleep overs. I would go with a white one and accent with lots of rainbow colors. Then I would take the white shelves and paint the back panel of each shelf a different color of the rainbow and the rest of it white. Then with the dresser I would paint it white also and paint the knobs rainbow colors. Then across the top I would put a colorful scarf or piece of cloth like a runner across the front. As for curtains I would buy bulks of tulle in rain colors and cut them into 2 or 3 inch strips and tie them to a curtain rod like a colorful sheer for the window then in front of that I would put two solid panels on either side in her favorite color. At the top of the window I would buy a curved curtain rod of it or use a staple gun and add the tulle there also fanning out from the bottom center. Then I would put rainbow throw rugs on the floor and a pile of solid color pillows (in rainbow color) in a corner for her to flop on and read. Also if you want even more color you can add tulle to the bars on the daybed. As for color on the walls I would but corkboards and paint them what ever color you love then allow her to make her own art to add to the walls and for the rest of the space I recommend posters in poster frames that she can change out as she gets older. By only accenting with colors it will make it easier to change as she grows and her tastes change. Tulle can be pulled down and you can put white in it's place or sheers with lines of glittery beads, the corks can be cheaply replaced or repainted. I wouldn't tie her into a room that can't be easily updated later.
    Dana Rone thanked Laura Auton
  • 10 years ago
    thank you! thank you! thank you! you are all far more creative and inspiring than words can say and you have given me such great ideas! as soon as the storm passes, i'm going to head to ikea to find that bed and to work on these other suggestions. i will post as soon as i make some progress. thank you all for helping me and for inspiring me to do something for my littlest one!
  • 10 years ago
    Here are some photos of my daughters bedroom redesign makeover
  • 10 years ago
    Paris bedroom makeover for seven year old
  • 10 years ago
    Here are some photos of my daughters bedroom redesign makeover
  • 10 years ago
    Wow! I love it! Great job. I hope she enjoys it :)
  • 10 years ago
    Thank you. She really loves it!!! The two things I have not done yet is put her closet doors up and I am making a framed magnetic memo board with fabric for over her desk. Anything is possible in any type of space it just takes planning and using what you have got.
  • 10 years ago
    The pink couch is a futon and it lays flat or at different inclines. It is great for sleepover or just reading.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

I agree with getting a bed with a trundle underneath. I would also suggest getting rid of your sliding closet doors and installing a bi-fold door that will allow you to access the whole closet instead of half at a time. Also, putting in some type of closet system or built-in closet organizer would also help with storage and maximizing the amount of space.

• 8 years ago

2 year old post.

• PRO
    8 years ago

I saw that too late. Ha. Thanks.

• PRO
    7 years ago

This is a nice cute room to work with. A nice twin platform bed with storage option drawers is a good idea, or a captain's bed. Also you may want to consider a small convertible chair bed for guests.

Mid-Century Style Luxury Convertible Sofa Beds by Innovation Living · More Info

This is made by a Danish manufacture called Innovation Living. The cushion contains an inner pocket coil spring for better comfort and longevity. Utilize the the dual arm adjustable arm rests for lounging, or recline completely for a comfortable cute cot size bed.

See more choices at UrbanFutonbeds.com

Also you may want to consider an art print room divider screens. It can be used for temporary partitioning of a room or as a wall or corner accent piece. Over 200 different themes to choose from with big bright and bold colors.

UrbanAccentsNY.com