Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fern_milmandahlstrom

Need Paint Advice for New Master

Get My Baby Gear
10 years ago
We're building a new home but taking existing duvet and furniture. Duvet is brand new. We currently have a cream, "shabby" iron bed and cream, distressed furniture. Looking for feedback on color(s) for master bed and master bath. So, do we do the entire room (and into the bath) a light celadon or light aqua? Or simply an accent wall with a slightly darker shade on the wall with the bed? Or another color? Are accent walls passe? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments (43)

• hayleydaniels
    10 years ago
    I like accent walls, and if you do too, don't be afraid to have one. It's your house, and you're the one who has to like how the room feels.

As far as color, I'd get swatches for the two colors you're thinking about, but instead of matching them to your duvet, I'd get some paint samples of a shade darker and see how that looks. Get some poster board or a small piece of sheetrock that is sold in the paint section for wall repair to try your samples on, and see how you like them. Move them around the room to see how the light at different times of the day impacts them.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked hayleydaniels
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    10 years ago
    I agree with hayleydaniels, accent walls are great! I think that I wold go with maybe a yellow from your bedspread. Sometimes it is helpful to get an accent piece or two in the color you are thinking about using to see how you like it in the area. Here are a few that may help you in your decision making process:

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/yellow-ribbed-lumbar-pillow-with-buttons/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/parker-stripe-pillow/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/basic-elements-pillow-sun-set-of-2/

http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/basic-elements-pillow-gold-set-of-2/

Hope this helps!
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Warner Decor
  • PRO
    Studio Boise, LLC
    10 years ago
    You seem to have an almost shabby chic style, so maybe you can run with that. I think shabby chic is best when it's full out, meaning everything looks like an overexposed photo with many shades of cream.
    Since you have a colorful duvet that you want to keep, let that be your only strong color, and chose just one color from the duvet, like the pink or green, and paint the walls a white with just the slightest hint of that color. If you go as far as replacing picture frames with all cream and white and white/gray frames, keep one or two little ones in the accent color from the duvet.
    For example:
    Sunnyside Road Residence Bathroom · More Info
    In this photo they brought out pink with the flowers on the vanity and repeated a very washed out version of pink on the ottoman and chair.
    Carlisle House · More Info
    This uses whites everywhere, but lets the pink zebra rug remain as the only loud color.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Studio Boise, LLC
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    you could match the paint to the yellow of the flowers
    Hawthorne Yellow hc-4 Benjamin Moore · More Info
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    10 years ago
    I like Studio Boise reccommendations, particularly the Sunnyside Road Residence one
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    kpappal, good feedback thank you! We were kind of leaning toward the aqua.
  • kpappal
    10 years ago
    Fern, we have ivory colored bedroom furniture and my walls are a medium gray. I love that aqua, it is so fresh looking, and very popular right now.i think it is an easy color to work with when adding accessories too.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked kpappal
  • Jenny Strong
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    One of my favourite colours is similar to Quiet Moments 1563 by Benjamin Moore. See Houzz
    Chartwell House :: Design + Build by Aquidneck Properties · More Info

I feel something like this or half strength might go well. I like your duvet and bed.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Jenny Strong
  • maarivekki
    10 years ago
    hello, i had my bedroom walls painted in wisteria color since the very beginning, and then came vintage, white-ish hand painted items of furniture with seafoam details. When we finally bought a new bed, of course it had to be white. (ceiling and windows are white too). it's ten years now and I've never grown tired of this combination, so I'd really suggest you go for it! personally I like the greenish nuance in your duvet more than the others (the aqua nuance could be used in the bathroom!)
    Get My Baby Gear thanked maarivekki
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    that bedspread is soooo lovely!
    I would recommend not going with an accent wall. I think that often has a feeling of jarring and in a bedroom I think restful is better.
    I think painting all walls the same colour wouldbe very nice. I would go fairly pale if you go aqua. I think the celedon and yellow are also nice.
    I think white will make your headboard disappear.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked mariaed
  • User
    10 years ago
    Any colour from the duvet.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked User
  • Patty Scott
    10 years ago
    Have to repeat mariaed's advice, also another pro earlier in the thread urged a full on shabby chic palette of washed out colors...very restful & chic.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Patty Scott
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Beautiful colors-- love them! An obvious choice is to pull the blues out and go with that. However, I think a really rich look would be to take the twig color from the duvet and use that. I think it will make your colors pop more.

Cape Hatteras-- More neutral, but plays off the "twig" color
    Looks gorgeous with turquoise
    http://houzz.com/photos/325621

Ideas for blues-- go for the tone on tone of the two shades if aqua in your duvet

Woodlawn blue
    http://houzz.com/photos/317632
    Palladian blue-- it's a great color
    http://houzz.com/photos/27085

Whitestone
    http://houzz.com/discussions/950814

Idea for bath
    http://houzz.com/photos/402263

It would also be very pretty to coordinate in the bath...for example, paint the cabinets aqua, etc.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked laurakdesigns
  • Lindsey Walsh
    10 years ago
    I've pulled together two quick pics with the blue and yellow from your bedspread.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked Lindsey Walsh
  • rosiegabby
    10 years ago
    Valspar withered moss is a pretty color. It would go with your duvet. You could get a lighter tint.

We used that in my daughters room.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/221661612883686527/
    Get My Baby Gear thanked rosiegabby
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    You have a lot of the same. You headboard is almost invisible. I suggest a dark wall. i can’t name a color in particular as monitors are fickle. Something like this:

Ben Moore incense stick.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked JudyG Designs
  • User
    10 years ago
    Judy Gs monitor eloped with her printer and sent a postcard from the Bahamas.
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I so appreciate the feedback. I have another situation posted if you want to take a look at that one as well. Lots of advice needed I guess :)
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/thoughts-on-new-great-room-kitchen-colors-dsvw-vd~950828
  • tkilgore
    10 years ago
    I once used a very soft pink in my master, and it was just enough color to make the room sort of glow, and my husband even liked it. It is also very neutral, so even if you changed out your duvet, it would still work. Your duvet has a soft pink, and you could use the aqua as an accent color. I love the shabby chic look, very inviting!
    Get My Baby Gear thanked tkilgore
  • pivoines
    10 years ago
    Paint the whole room not just an accent wall, it will give you a more coherent effect and will be more restful , it will be lovely in aqua, go for it.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked pivoines
  • loves2read
    10 years ago
    Paint the ceiling as well in softer tone of the walls

what are you doing in the bathroom???
    If this is adjoining you need to take into account color choices and finishes there as well--you want an integrated look...

I too thought the pink would be nicer contrast against the blue/aqua of the bedding...
    Consider painting the headboard in stronger tint and leaving rest of furniture white...
    Get My Baby Gear thanked loves2read
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I think a very pale gray, like the lightest leaves in your duvet would be lovely, versatile, updated and a great direction in the bath as well.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked decoenthusiaste
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    When I suggested the twig color, it was to give some contrast to everything you have going on. If you go too dark you will lose the beautiful feel of you room. JudyG's suggested color is way too dark you'll be in a cave.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked laurakdesigns
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the floor plan for upstairs including master bed and bath. We will carry the color through to the bath. Peidrafina (sp?) choices are standard counter tops and surrounds in the bath. We'll most likely go with a creamy color (crema del mar perhaps) and cream or white ceramic floors.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    chookchook, my monitor is so fickle it won’t make it to the altar with the printer. Just a quick assignation and it will be back home.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Exactly what I had in mind…cave like, quiet and restful:
    Mediterranean Bedroom · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    A coral wall would be very attractive.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Try restful from behr.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked armygirl1987
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I think a lighter color would be an inviting way to complement the wonderful shabby chic look you have going on with the duvet but be sure it does not make your white headboard become invisible. We have recommended our designer's favorite Spring 2014 trend colors in our most recent blog post. You're more than welcome to come check it out!
  • playaazul
    10 years ago
    I love the bedding. I like aqua or the green
    Get My Baby Gear thanked playaazul
  • Eileen
    9 years ago
    Anything new to share with us?
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well, we got two samples and painted some poster board as someone suggested. Neither looked right. Behr Ice Cube and Celery Ice. Still looking...
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Fern, Behr has great paint but not such great colors. They will closely match both ben moore and sherwin williams colors i think - ask if that is the easy paint supply in your town. May I suggest two alternatives to your original plan?

One, though I am generally an aqua booster, given the quantity of color in your quilt, I think that a pale green would be more neutral and restful. Also, I want to suggest that you find a creamy plain off-white coverlet or duvet cover and you fold the colorful quilt or duvet into thirds across the foot of the bed - pull it up for naps or cool nights but let it be a smaller element visually in the room. These two steps will give you the look you were seeking. Keep the great aqua sheets and turn them down . . . aqua and this shade of green will compliment each other greatly.

In the bath, do not use green as it will not be flattering to the face . . but stick to a deeper cream . . off white there. . . dark cream stone if you haven't chosen, and paint to match . . something like timid white , powder sand, . . .

So for the greens to test, make the trip to the ben moore store or have behr match bm chamelon - this is a green with a lot of yellow http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chameleon
    that makes it feel sunny and sweet . . . the celadon you've been looking for . . .

This is a color palette that can flow throughout the house . . . choose a lovely creamy off white in the bath (echoing the furniture in the master like bm timid white). . . down stairs . .test bm glazed green for all the public spaces . . . . living/dining/entry as a neutral yet cottage like backdrop for chocolate toned casework and white trim and wood floors and lovely colorful rugs . .

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/chameleon
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/glazedgreen
    Get My Baby Gear thanked libradesigneye
  • lcmg
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I think a yellow based light cream would be pretty, but not *too* yellow as is is a bedroom and the color will reflect on it's self and intinsify a bit.
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think we've narrowed it down to the pale, muted green in the duvet. I'm having a terrible time choosing a color though as they are all so similar. I looked at the suggested Chameleon but it was a little too bright. I did get a sample of Glade Green (BM). Anyone familiar with that color and think it will work?
  • maarivekki
    9 years ago
    Fern, I believe this is a great choice.
    Get My Baby Gear thanked maarivekki
  • maarivekki
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    even though I must admit that the chameleon and glazed greens kindly suggested by libradesigneye are too dull... I will look for samples of colors but in general, from my experience, I have seen that going too cautious with wall painting can lead to boring environments (with no offense to anyone else's taste). And then colors should be luminous, you never have too much light in a room :-) Have you checked the RAL color chart?
  • Solomon Kalanzi
    9 years ago
    go for a blak paint job for the bed metals en also that cupboard but leave its handles white
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am not familiar with the RAL color chart. At this point color charts are making me nuts. I feel like I need someone to pick a color for me before I just do cream walls and give up all together!
  • maarivekki
    9 years ago
    No, I was disappointed by the ral rendering on line. But I saw some very interesting greens on the same website as the chameleon's. Tasty apple and Riverdale green are some of them. But I see you're actually looking for something less bright, so... why don't you create your own shade, based on the duvet, and test 2 or 3 options?
  • PRO
    Get My Baby Gear
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How do I create my own shade? Sorry, I'm new at this color thing. :)
  • maarivekki
    9 years ago
    Oh, you go to any paint store or hardware shop that have a paint mixer and... play!