Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicaellison

White or stainless steel appliances?

Monica Ellison
10 years ago
I am planning a remodel of my kitchen and initially I was going to keep the existing stainless steel appliances. While shopping at my local home store I came across Whirlpool Ice White appliances. I like the clean, classic yet modern look. My dilemma is how to incorporate into design. I am thinking of doing a painted cabinet as I am not sure how it would look with wood cabinets. Has anyone chose white appliances for a recent remodel? Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. Please share photos.

Comments (41)

• qam999
    10 years ago
    Matter of personal preference.
    Monica Ellison thanked qam999
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    If budget allows go with stainless steel.
    Monica Ellison thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Stainless steel is classic and will be around for a long time. I would vote for the stainless steel appliances.
    Monica Ellison thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • glschisler
    10 years ago
    Yes, we have the white cabinets & chose the ice white by Whirlpool. Love it!
    Monica Ellison thanked glschisler
  • Monica Ellison
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @glschier - do you have photos you would like to share?
  • PRO
    FK Interior Design
    10 years ago
    If a client wants to hide the appliances by using panels similar to the cabinets, than I guess we do white appliances, otherwise I recommend stainless.
    Monica Ellison thanked FK Interior Design
  • glschisler
    10 years ago
    Sorry, no I don't. If I took them on my ipad I dont know how to get them on HOUZZ.
    Monica Ellison thanked glschisler
  • karelina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    White. I know I'm going against trends, but hopefully it's a temporary trend. Too techy!
    I also wouldn't get an over the stove microwave. houzz had a discussion about counter or over the stove and there were a lot of problems with over the stove. You might try and find it to see what you think.
    Monica Ellison thanked karelina
  • PRO
    Maryland Kitchen Cabinets
    10 years ago
    Our personal preference "Stainless"... however, white appliances are very nice too and it depends on your specific kitchen... just make sure whatever you purchase you buy all the same brand... stainless is a little more forgiving if you have a keen eye to notice grain differences in stainless... however, white is not always white and the variations can be stark...
    Monica Ellison thanked Maryland Kitchen Cabinets
  • PRO
    J Malone Designs LLC
    10 years ago
    Stainless....go for classic you can always easily change the cabinets with stainless
    Monica Ellison thanked J Malone Designs LLC
  • frankiedesign
    10 years ago
    Keep stainless steel. Paint cabinets white.
    Monica Ellison thanked frankiedesign
  • frankiedesign
    10 years ago
    To add photo, go to 'comment' as you usually do and select 'upload photo' then 'from library' Excited to see the result :)
    Monica Ellison thanked frankiedesign
  • Courtney
    10 years ago
    We have stainless for the fridge and dishwasher but a gorgeous white enamel range - with grey painted cabinets. Love it, no regrets!
    Monica Ellison thanked Courtney
  • PRO
    Affirming Kitchen Clarity
    10 years ago
    White if modern!!!! Ok I have taken a breath, incredible but the cabinet finish must must work. If using a matte dull white ( compare whites next to each other) then do stainless it allows movement in sheen, light reflection, white is awesome when done deliberately, great question. Thanks!!!
    Monica Ellison thanked Affirming Kitchen Clarity
  • Andy Murphy
    10 years ago
    I am in the process of having a townhouse built. After seeing these appliances I chose to upgrade to the white ice package. I am looking forward to seeing the final look. I will move in in September.
    Monica Ellison thanked Andy Murphy
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Either can work fine if well incorporated into the design of the room. So, that said, factors to consider are that a textured white will not show every fingerprint the way a smooth white or stainless will. Stainless is elemental, so lasts, but may be "more work" and there is a cost premium.
    Monica Ellison thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I agree with laurakdesign. If the kitchen is small it breaks too much the flow with the cabinets. I have that problem at home. I bought a stainless over the range microwave but now I need to replace my white range. That was not well-thought when I bought the microwave. Now I have to buy a stainless range that will break my galley kitchen in 2. :(
    Monica Ellison thanked suzanne_m
  • rouxb
    10 years ago
    If stainless steel is still around in 50 years, then it will be classic. I am pretty much over it and would love to see some other options available. I just shudder at refrigerators with stainless fronts and black sides. White appliances with (the right) white cabinetry look fab.
    Monica Ellison thanked rouxb
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    I very much dislike stainless steel, and do like white, but I have
    off white cabinetry. Together they look sharp and clean
    Monica Ellison thanked km kane
  • PRO
    David Wilkes Design
    10 years ago
    I would go for the stainless steel, unless the white colour appliances are an EXACT match to the Kitchen cabinets colour and texture. Maybe consider an integrated Fridge and/or dishwasher if you're after something different and not stainless steel. Good luck :)
    Monica Ellison thanked David Wilkes Design
  • Monica Ellison
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @laurakdesigns - thank you for the inspiration photo. That is exactly the look I would like to achieve. I have a small kitchen in a townhome with white builder grade cabinets and black and stainless appliances and it is too choppy. I want a clean and seamless design. I also like the idea of painted cabinets in a gray tone with the white appliances. What do you guys think?

[houzz=
    Roehampton Development · More Info
    ]
  • Monica Ellison
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are more (better) photos of the white ice collection.
  • Ellen Innes
    10 years ago
    I'm glad this came up. we just bought a white refridge and I love these white whirlpool appliances.
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    Very nice. Stainless steel just sticks outs like a sore thumb! These blend in so nicely
  • PRO
    Armoires Cuisines Action
    10 years ago
    It all depends on the cabinets, counters and backsplash color. But when in doubt: stainless steel!
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    Just came back from Miele designers summit and WHITE was the newest thing you'll see it coming BIG soon!
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    10 years ago
    Just 30 minutes ago, I showed one of our short stay suites to a family impressed with the kitchen cabinets (original to a 1975 renovation). Yes, we've had them restored (Turner Restoration--thanks Arianna!) but I resisted every bit of the advice to rip them out and put in an "on trend" kitchen.

One of the reasons we find some places so dated is the notion of buying on trend. Conventional trending goes out as fast as it comes in! This is good for those of us in the biz, of course, an endless supply and turnover of jobs! But, as a Pro who is also a consumer (who isn't?), I opt for design over trend.

It isn't whether X or Y is in (unless you feel the need to be on trend at all times). It is more a factor of whether X or Y is integrated effectively into the overall design.
    Monica Ellison thanked John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
  • PRO
    Blackman Plumbing Supply
    10 years ago
    Stainless steel appliances are obviously a huge trend in the design world, but there are ways to incorporate them in secret! If you have design your kitchen to have a cabinet face on the dishwasher and refrigerator, then all that would be displayed are the oven and range.
    Monica Ellison thanked Blackman Plumbing Supply
  • Monica Ellison
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Garden Oaks. I agree with your comments. My goal is to create a kitchen that is timeless. Good design and quality products always stands the test of time.
  • Monica Ellison
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is my current situation...thermofoil white cabinets and laminate counters. The appliances are in good shape but I think they look trendy/dated.
  • rouxb
    10 years ago
    They look fine-generic, but perfectly fine.
  • vickicz
    10 years ago
    Keep the appliances, replace the laminate!
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    After seeing photos of your current kitchen, I must admit I would be tempted to keep the cabinets, just replace the sink, faucet and counter tops.. For now, paint the walls a cheery grey-blue. Add undercounted lighting, a pendant to two, a backsplash, and take a trip to a foreign country with the money you saved by keeping the cabinets and appliances until they die and you are forced to replace them!
  • PRO
    Maryland Kitchen Cabinets
    10 years ago
    The cabinets seem to be in good condition from your photos... We would add crown molding or stack crown molding to dress them up a bit... tops could easily be changed and a backsplash too...

However if you don't like the cabinets you could always replace them too...
  • PRO
    A Touch of Elegance Studio
    10 years ago
    If you are doing white cabinets do stainless appliances which will likely hold their value better anyway. The reflective nature of the space will open up the space too.
  • PRO
    J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
    9 years ago
    Stainless steel is always a constant and can never go wrong with using them

J Design Group, Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida. http://www.JDesignGroup.com
  • LargeKitchenAppliances
    6 years ago

I wonder what she went with... @Monica, I would love to see a picture

• wickster1
    6 years ago

Getting ready to retire, sick of stainless. High maintenance, scratches easily. Not sure what next choice will be as black would suck all the light out of the room. Maybe white or slate....wish there were more durable options.

• User
    6 years ago

Oh really? White the "new" trend? I remember when most appliances were white. You could get bisque and black, but they were special order. And stainless? Only for professional kitchens. Maybe stainless became popular when chef tv shows started and everyone wanted a kitchen just like their favorite chef, and stainless made you feel like you knew how to cook. Who knows? White is the all-time classic. If you want a sleeker look, go for a model with no handles sticking out.

• PRO
    J Malone Designs LLC
    6 years ago
    I would stay with stainless just so much more versatile. As a designer I hv not had anyone ask for anything other then that. High end commercial appliances like Viking and Wolf for example are stainless....it also gives you much more versatility for cabinet colors if you want to change in the future. My opinion is white will limit you...good luck!