Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_hall6176618

70s ranch remodel

Nicole Hall
6 years ago
hi, I'm looking for some advice to update my 70s Rancher front porch. I want to put a new roof on but would like to update this ugly low roof line inexpensively. thanks for the advice

Comments (11)

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

What do you mean "update". There is no inexpensive way to change a roofline.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Lose the blue: it conflicts with the brick colour. Brighten up the entry with either white or a pale clear yellow (which could also be used on the shutters.
  • Nicole Hall
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I was just wondering if anyone else has this same roof line and what did you do to update, brighten, change. I understand its not cheap but I am not looking to doing a total blow out ex.. new dormers, a second story a addtion. i suppose something under 30k?? I don't know that's why I was asking.
  • chloebud
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Our neighborhood is mostly ranch homes and several have that long, low roofline. Obviously changing that would be pricey. In your case, I would get rid of the shutters since they don't fit the windows. Almost all the windows are much too big for shutters. Instead, keep a wide, white trim around the windows. Get a front door with more oomph and paint it white. Maybe change the black metal posts to white wood. I would also work on the landscaping. All of that will help pull some focus from the roof.

Your brick is nice and could really look even nicer with more white...classic.

• Cwhaticando22
    6 years ago

If your roof needs to be replaced because it's due, then replace it and it will look better. If you just want to fix a cosmetic issue maybe try a roof cleaner? https://www.houzz.com/professionals/exterior-cleaners.

I'd focus more on the landscaping and curb appeal. You already have a porch out front which could look awesome, I'm thinking of things the Gaines' have done. Bulk up the posts, add pretty plantings, do a nice walkway that's not right up against the house, etc. I agree with changing the shutter color (I've seen navy or black with brick and it looks nice) or getting rid of them altogether. I personally think painted brick looks kind of cheap so I'd keep that as is, but that's me.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Before you start with anything hire an architect to do some renderings. It will save you a lot of money in the long run.
  • Megan Hosterman
    5 years ago

We have a similar house. Because your porch is raised, you have more wiggle room than we do. The door should be the focal point. I would suggest something similar to what we are doing - a portico over the door with two 4x4 beam posts, and a pergola over the rest of the porch. Landscape in front of the porch and windows on left side of house with tall grasses or native shurbs that are not too dense - you want to soften the edges of the house with vegetation, without created new mass aka a new focal point. If you don't like the idea of a pergola, I would just rebuild the overhang to be the same height as a new portico (higher than it is now) so that the windows are not obstructed from the street view, and so that more light is let into the house. Also, a porch rail would be an opportunity to maximize charm but I would not do it with a pergola - only with an overhang. hang an outdoor pendant light beneath the portico directly above the door to maximize this area as the focal point. Brick is gorgeous - never paint it. Consider complimentary colors like sage green, creamy white, and slate gray for modern but also timeless appeal.

If I had a limited budget and wanted to start now, I would paint the shutters sherwin williams alabaster white, paint the door a sage green with cool undertones (we have used sherwin william undersea on our house and liked it), have someone handy put up 4x4 posts where the metal ones on the overhang are instead and paint them alabaster, and add rails along the steps also of wood painted alabaster. Window boxes (maybe in a natural wood that is golden stained) on the two windows on the left of the house can help add mass to that side and create some balance. You'll be suprised at the time and effort only this very limited facelift will take, but it will greatly improve the curb appeal. Good luck!

• Jessie Klein
    8 months ago

Hi Nicole! What did you ever end up doing to your home? We live in a 60's ranch with that same low, long roof. We're getting ready to make some changes to get rid of the boring look to the exterior.

• Meg Oliver
    last month

Ditto! Curious what you ended up doing!

• Sacksti
    last month

I agree with ctcrircus, hire some to show you what the chanhes would look like. We did this when we remodeled our home and it helped a ton!