Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_rountree54

New home, my husband and I can't agree on a neutral interior color

JEANNE ROUNTREE
6 years ago

Building a new home with an open concept floor plan and my husband and I can't agree on an interior paint color. He doesn't care for grays, and I am not a fan of beiges. Our kitchen is the centerpiece of the house, and it will have white cabinets, black granite (leathered) countertops, burnished bronze hardware. He would like to use one color for the whole house, but I am leaning towards two. One for the main rooms (kitchen, living room, keeping room) and maybe another color for bedrooms, bathrooms, etc. Would love some ideas.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

there are a thousand different shades of grays and beige. I'm sure the two of you could agree on one of them?

What's the big deal about using a diff color in other rooms? I'd go crazy if I had to look at the same color in my entire house. Bathrooms and bedrooms are fair game for diff colors.

How about a Grayish Beige? That's a compromise for both of you. Why don't you both look at these shades and each person gets to pick 3. now try all 6 on the walls and what you like best. If you still can't decide, then one gets to have the kitchen/family, and the other gets free reign on all of the other rooms.

this is BM Pale Oak.

Lacey Pearl

The best thing to do is go grab some samples and paint them throughout the walls at different spots. see how it looks during the day.

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked Beth H. :
  • JEANNE ROUNTREE
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for the feedback. I think his main concern (as he is in the construction industry) is keeping in our budget. He says the more colors we choose, the money it costs. I do, however, think we can meet in the middle. I am very interested in the colors recommended by Nina Hendrick, but I can't read them. Can I find that image in another place?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

click on photo to enlarge it. in case you still can't see it, from top,

Wickham Gray, Edgecomb Gray, Gray owl, Simply White, Kendall Charcoal and Gray Huskie all BM colors.

www.ninahendrick.com

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked Beth H. :
  • crystalpea
    6 years ago

Silver Drop by Behr is a favorite of mine. It can read gray or beige depending on lighting and decor.

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked crystalpea
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

White Dove trim & doors(semi gloss) and ceilings in Satin finish and Revere Pewter on walls in Satin(I don't like FLAT, tho they say you can wipe it around light switches and door frames, with better results now) ... Or, if you want to be more designer-esque........try the Palladian Blue OR the Guillford Green on walls and ceilings, with White Dove trim & doors only.......... or the PB and GG with the Revere Pewter on trim, doors and ceilings..https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/best-benjamin-moore-paint-colors.. The colors in this thread, are all very very beautiful, so many nice options! If you want, a great tip on the interior window sills only, consider putting faux marble slabs, just on the horizontal surface. No chipped paint, ever! and pick a tone that matches your interior wood window trim for a more seamless look. Works great if you like some herbs or small plants(aloe vera) in the windows in kitchen, baths, too...

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked redsilver
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

IMO a grayed green is a much more neutral color than any beige and it is my go to when I have to choose a color for clients before all the other items have been decided. The bottom right is very nice for the main part of the house and probably because the budget is tight use it everywhere you can always change the color later in bedrooms if you want.

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    6 years ago

When I tested paint colors, I painted large (4'x4'x1/4") pieces of sheetrock (I'm sure there is a cheaper medium, but I had stacks of sheetrock available at the time.) That way I could move the various colors from room to room, wall to wall. You'd be surprised how different lighting changes your perception of the color. Color is relative.

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked User
  • redsilver
    6 years ago

https://theturquoisehome.com/sea-salt-kitchen/   Not exactly what you are building, but the hues are there, just more info to process.... thought I would share it with you. This is a dark counter, sea salt walls, and a shade of white cabinets... no revere pewter in this layout however. Just thought you might be able to determine if you like one potential option of the many that are here, which are all beautiful..paint is just filled with an abundance of hues..https://theturquoisehome.com/sea-salt-kitchen/   And this layout of really pretty interior colors, very cheerful...my eye was drawn to the shade of very light/soft yellow doors with the soft blue and white hall way /interior adjoining rooms, about a 1/3rd of the scroll way down.(gads, more colors!--thinking of potential fabric/upholstery/curtains in a utility or craft or other room, really)...http://www.homebunch.com/inspiring-interior-paint-color-ideas-2/ 

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked redsilver
  • Susie .
    6 years ago
    We have a beige (SW Accessible Beige) and a gray (Agreeable Gray) in different areas of our house. I really love Agreeable Gray, and have already repainted some of the beige with the gray. It’s a touch warm and just reminds me of stone. It could pass for a beige. Of course you need to think about your fixed materials (countertops, flooring, etc.) and make sure they are all compatible.
    JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked Susie .
  • shead
    6 years ago

I feel like BM Revere Pewter is definitely a chameleon. In rooms where I have more gray accents, it looks like a nice neutral gray. In other rooms, it's warmer. I really love it with my BM White Dove trim.

I also have an affinity for BM Half Moon Crest (#1481) and SW Agreeable Gray, both with BM White Dove trim. We just painted our farm house those colors and I love it!

JEANNE ROUNTREE thanked shead