Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_239271061

Last minute help needed Bedrosians Cloe tile stacked or staggered?

Gloria
3 years ago

Hello! We will be installing the backsplash this weekend and now I am not sure whether to do the backsplash stacked or staggered like traditional subway. Any advices or pictures would be greatly appreciated :) The cabinets are Ikea Axstad. Will post pictures once is complete.

Thank you!

Comments (88)

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for posting this and sharing the installation photo. I came here searching the same ( about to install Cloe in a white kitchen) and all that gray is now making me very nervous! All the online photos were showing more white than gray. How does it look in person? Any other photos you can share please? Thank you so much!

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In my opinion it looks gorgeous. I am very happy with all our material choices and how they coordinate. ( I was initially afraid of the combination of whites)

In reality it doesn’t look as gray as in the pictures but still has grays and variations, not all white at all.

We used no spacers and for the grout used the color Avalanche which blends great. I didn’t want the contrasting grout.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-358214732 I am trying to upload some pictures but it's not working, will do in a few min.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

that tile really is pretty Gloria. is that the white one or the gray?

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Beth H. :It is the white.

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing the new photos, my apologies I don’t know how to tag you to this post. I agree with you, the tile is looking so gorgeous and I love how the beautiful your grout came out! I saw online most people using bright white by Laticrete or White by MAPEI. I learnt both those are warm whites. Avalanche that you used is by Mapei correct? Also pls share which thin set you used? Thank you so much again for sharing and posting the photos!

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

Also please share how did you finalize the decision of installing staggered versus stacked? I have spent so much time thinking about this, and every time I choose one layout, the next day I change my mind... thanks so much

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-358214732 To tag someone you just type @ and then the name, it will populate a list of participants in the conversation.

Yes, the grout is from Mapei, we didn't want the white because it is more beige/warm, sorry but I have no idea about the thin set, the installer brought it with him.

There was no logic behind the choice to put it staggered, I thought about making it stacked 2 days before installing it, but most people around preferred the traditional way and I just went with it.

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

@Gloria thank you so much, my installer said he wants to use mastic, which is not recommended for Cloe tile. Is it possible for you to please check with your installer exactly which thinset mortar they used? Thanks again for sharing about the grout details, this is really helpful

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

HU, any thinset mortar for ceramic or porcelain tile is fine.

your installer could use the mastic IF it's the right kind (and it's not going in a wet area).

otherwise, have him mix up a bag of thinset. sounds like he's lazy.

You're paying him right? tell him what products you want used. if he doesn't want to use them, find another tile guy.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-358214732 My husband said we actually had the remaining material in the garage ;) Here is a pic.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

the versabond is fine.

(the blue bag is for drywall)

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

@Gloria and Beth H. Thank you so much!
    I agree with you, will try to find someone else tomorrow. I was looking up the Custom website ( that makes versabond ) and Mapei for thinset Info and they both recommend priming the dry wall before putting up thin set for backsplash.
    Please advise primer should be used? Thanks so much

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

just regular paint primer. raw drywall sucks up moisture. if you put the mortar for the tile on unprimed drywall, the drywall will suck up all the water from the mortar and dry too quickly, causing the tile adhesion problems.

so just get a regular primer. give a coat or two. then tile

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you so much for all your kind help, really appreciate it. I am trying to find a zero or low VOC primer. Would it be okay to use Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Zero VOC Interior Latex Primer? Or any other specific one you recommend please? Any benefiting using “AFM Safecoat® New Wallboard Primecoat HPV”?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

really not a big deal. any primer that seals up the drywall coating is fine.

not familiar w/the safe coat product. if they recommend it for tiling, great!

• Jennifer Ann
    3 years ago

Hi @Gloria what countertop did you choose for your kitchen? Looks beautiful! Thank you!

• Gloria
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Jennifer Ann, it is indeed very pretty. In the store it looked super white but next to the Ikea Axstad it looks like a warmer white which I love. The countertop is from MSI, the name is Artic White Quartz polished. Hope this helps.

• HU-358214732
    3 years ago

@Beth H. I am having a hard time finding the right primer. I am confused because there are so many primers, including latex based, oil based, PVA, acrylic etc.....Please advise which of these are best for sealing new drywall and drywall compound, before tiling Cloe with thinset.
    Also Mapei makes a couple of primers. Also is sanding needed after primer application? Thanks so much

• Jennifer Ann
    3 years ago

@gloria thanks so much!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

HU...a regular ol' drywall primer is fine. you're tiling over it. the primer will just keep the bare drywall from sucking up the moisture from the mortar. no need to get anything fancy. Kilz or Zinsser is fine

• Checkers4
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Beth H. : I hope you don't mind me reaching out to ask for your opinion. I'm putting Cloe in my MB shower and tub, or it's the F&D version. Here is a pic of the tiles, the hex tile for the shower floor and a 12x24 floor tile that has a texture to it. Can you let me know your thoughts on this floor tile sample. Tub is white and all fixtures are matte black. The cabinets are lighter than this, seems a bit darker in the pic. I'm torn between this color and a gray. I really don't want gray because I have lots of it in other rooms. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

checkers, I like your collection. (maybe wait on the black hardware though. I just don't see any other black in the room. what about a soft gold/brass? I think that, along w/brass sconces or vanity light) would look way better.

I like the 'cloe-ish' tiles though. there's enough variation in them.

• Checkers4
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Thanks so much. I know it all looks kind of vanilla, but I like the neutral colors. I should of said that just the plumbing fixtures are black. I wanted to bring in a bit of gold, even though my husband thinks it’s the gold of the 80’s. The pulls, sconces and some artwork work for me especially since I can change them down the road with minimal expense without ripping up the bathroom! At least that’s what I’m telling my husband.

Many thanks for your suggestions and the pics. You always send pics and for someone like me who needs to “see it”, it is very helpful and appreciated.

• Checkers4
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Hi Beth, do you happen to have a source for the black and gold pulls as well as the acrylic and gold ones? Thanks for your time.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Checkers 4:

the acrylic I believe came from etsy. try Luxe.

or just search acrylic pulls and numerous links should pop up.

Cosmas flat black, 5"

also Comsas.

I have these gold pulls on my kitchen cabs. those and the black ones above are Cosmas. on Amazon.

I also ordered these from AliExpress:

the other one in the pic in the earlier comment are not black. It's a brown wood-like material and gold. Harlow pulls from Rejuvenation hardware. I know they weren't cheap.

These are Eddie Ross bar pulls

• Jen B
    2 years ago

Hi @Checkers4

do you mind sharing the name of the hexagon tiles youre going to be using from F&D? We’re using cloe tiles for the shower wall and those hex tiles look great for the shower floor

• Checkers4
    2 years ago

@Jen B

Hi Jen, the name of the hex tile that we used for the shower floor and niches is La Belle Purity, 1.5 in Hexagon Ceramic Mosaic - 11 x 10

Here is the link:

https://www.flooranddecor.com/ceramic-tile/la-belle-purity-1.5-in.-hexagon-ceramic-mosaic-100831726.html

I can't tell the difference between Bedrosians Cloe and F&D Cloe look alike. This hex tile was a good companion with it if you're not looking for contrast.

• Mia Dubois
    last year

What’s a good shower floor tile ?

• 2christene
    last year

@Gloria Can you post a picture of your kitchen. Trying to get ideas on updating my kitchen to white. Very interested in the cloe tile and how it looks.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    last year

@2christene Here is a picture

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

Gloria, It turned out very pretty.

May I suggest something? The area around the stove seems a bit plain looking because you have such a tall ceiling with white on white. the wall space above the tile looks empty. if you did some white oak shelves (like your flooring) and maybe a pair of sconces, I think it would finish off the look. And think about trimming out the vent hood w/some wood. You'd get a little depth and contrast in that spot. (see last picture)

don't you think this looks better? (if the picture was straight on I could do a better photo shop.) Gave you the wood trim on the hood vent too:

You're prob going to mention the one door swinging into it. You could still do something in that spot. at the very least, something on the right.

This one has a cab door that swings into it. they did small shelves too.

The sconces really fill in that open space

sconces.

two shelves, one shelf? this is a lot like yours. (the spacing)

top shelves w/a few plants would look nice

you could also do shelves like this

you could even do a simple shelf like this across the underside and flank the hood w/sconces

BTW, have you considered doing a wood strip on the lower part of your hood? Like I said, you have a ton of white. Adding some wood isn't difficult to do

Here, I added the wood trim piece, and the gray shelving and lights like the pic above:

Gloria thanked Beth H. :
  • Gloria
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : Wow! Wow! Now you got me back to the project :) ... I know it was not done, just got a little lazy on the finishing touches. Lots of great ideas. Thank you very very much! You are the best!

• Loren Maynard
    last year

@Gloria I'm so glad you have made this post as my stove wall is almost identical to yours with cabinets facing in! Love your hood too I may have to use for inspiration. We are installing Riad zellige next week but taking it all the way to the ceiling. I think that would more complete but less busy than adding shelving etc on the walls beside. Just my two cents.

• Warren Anderson
    last year

Similar to an above poster, our tile guy suggested we use mastic on drywall for bedrosians kloe. now we see in the spec sheet that Bedrosians recommends afainst mastic. Does anyone know why? another person above said you can use mastic if its the right kind. what is the right kind?? Thank you!

• ottawaruth
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Gloria - if you're still seeing comments might I ask where you got your hood fan....and what colour you ordered? We're installing Axstad white kitchen this summer and I'd love a hood fan like yours! Thanks!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

ottawaruth, do you know how to use GOOGLE LENS? Snip an image of the product you are interested in finding information about and then Google Lens Search it.

Why get one source for the product when you can see a hundred and compare prices at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BT26C8JN/ref=twister_B0B9HX5GWG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Gloria
    Original Author
    last year

@ottawaruth we built the hood cover ourselves, I know...everybody loves it :) and did a color match at home depot for the paint, we brought a door and they matched it. We used the same trick for the baseboards in the island. Hope it helps! let me know if you have questions.

• ottawaruth
    last year

@Gloria - thanks, very helpful. Your kitchen looks great!

• bigwhitehapydog
    last year

@GLoria, Is your counter solid white quartz? Also may I ask what your floor is? Also, can you confirm what color grout you used? I installed the Chloe as well and am considering the Mapei Avalanche or the Laticrete White. I want the grout to more blend and not outline the tile. Thanks! Your kitchen came out so beautiful.

• Gloria
    Original Author
    last year

@bigwhitehapydog The countertop is solid white quartz from MSI, the name is Artic White Quartz polished, against the cabinets it actually looks as a warm white. I didn’t want the grout to stand out either. We used no spacers and the color is Avalanche from Mapei which blends very well. Thank you, I don't get tired of enjoying the kitchen.

• ottawaruth
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner - yes...Google Lens is fantastic!

BeverlyFLADeziner

• Jessica Hart
    last year

Ok so you’re 3 years in.. I see you are still responding to comments. Super nice of you. How do you like the ikea cabinets?? Are they holding up well??

• ottawaruth
    last year

Good question @Jessica Hart! Follow-on to that....do you find them easy enough to clean? I've been reading that people have struggled with the matte white showing fingerprints and not coming clean.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Gloria, did you ever do any of the shelves or wood around the hood like I photoshopped?? just curious if you got around to adding anything else.

• Kate Mauge
    11 days ago

What app did everyone use to manipulate the photo?