Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy_menning56

shower/ air tub vs. soaking tub for seniors condo unit

Peggy Menning
last year
last modified: last year

We are in process of updating a 55+ condo unit ( must be over 55) and I really would like to install a long shower/ tub stall along a 10' wall with a window Currently there is a whirpool tub w /built in surround. While i do enjoy the jet tub occaisonaly, I dread the cleanup after (something about those jets does gross me out thinking of the buildup inside the jets), however I really want a place to soak and unwind.

Because this is an older community, would a soaker tub not be as welcome in case of resale value ? Also, would an "air tub" like the Empava free standing be easier to clean/maintain since it uses bubbles and not propelling water ? Does anyone have this tub and regret their decision and find them just too small to enjoy ?

I am posting a pic of actual space with an idea of what I am going for I understand the window will need to be waterproofed , whatever that entails (hopefully not an issue with condo association)

I plan to use large format honed marble floors and basic white large format tiles on walls for a minimalist and classic look. Any advice or information to prevent bad decision making before starting I would appreciate !

Comments (14)

• Peggy Menning
    Original Author
    last year

another picture of space

• sushipup2
    last year

As a senior, I say "no" to any tub at all.

• MongoCT
    last year

If you are set on a tub and want something more, I'd recommend an air tub over a simple soaking tub. There are air tubs deep enough to act as a simple soaking tub. I think air tubs are great as we age.

If you are an average sized person, sometimes a tub can just be a tub. Way back in the day when we built our house my wife (5'1" tall) and I (6'4" short) went to a couple of showrooms to try out tubs. It helped finding one that could accommodate either or both of us. Test-driving a tub can be important when a tub has a molded in seat. Nowadays with eCommerce, a well-equipped showroom may be harder to find.

Most air tubs will run a blower cycle after the water has drained. Some you do it manually. The air cycle prevents water remaining after the tub has drained.

Jason (manufacturer) has a 'microsilk' feature. You may want to check that out.

As long as you have a walk-in shower in addition to the tub, an air or soaking tub should be an asset versus a liability should you ever resell. The older style jetted tubs where the tubing does not self-drain can sometimes be a problem.

• motupeg
    last year

I am not a designer but at the age of 70 going on 40, I love my bathtub. It is great for relaxation and soaking. I would get something that isn’t too deep to make it easier to get in and out of. The idea of the air bubble tub is appealing. With a regular jetted tub, I had to not only run cleaner through the pipes but take apart the jet that is open to the tub at least once a month and clean them.

• CA Kate z9
    last year

As a pretty normal elderly, I can’t climb into or out of a tub safely. Most elderly I know can’t. I opt for the shower with little or no lip to trip over.

Since you’re pretty much going from scratch, can you conceive a barrier-free bathroom?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

If you want the tub, get the tub. I've said it many times before -- my huge soaking tub is my favorite place in the house, it's bliss to soak and unwind in that thing. That said, I would not get a freestanding -- way too dangerous to get into and out of, even for younger people). I would get something with a deck to make it easier to get into and out of, and locate the faucet on the opposite side of where you climb out, if possible. When I remodel, I'll probably have a step and a handrail built for whatever new tub I get. I've read on the board that step is unsafe, but I can't figure out why, especially if there's a handrail and it's a no-slip surface.

But do make sure you have an ADA-compliant shower in at least one bathroom in the house. This should take priority if there is only one bathroom (for you and for resale in a senior community), but if you can fit the tub into another bathroom or the same one as the shower, then get the tub too.

• elcieg
    last year

No tub. For all 55+ folks who can not get in or out of a tub easily, add to that number of 55+ folks who would never sit in a tub of water. I think the sum of the nay sayers would win out.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

But she said she wants a place to soak and unwind. How many posts on this board answer questions like this with it's your house, do what makes you happy. Why would this situation be any different just because she's getting older? If she's planning to stay there a while and ensures there is at least one accessible shower in the home, I say put in the tub and enjoy every single hot, steamy soak she can get out of it.

• Helen
    last year

If you want a tub and use a tub, then get a tub. As others have posted, you should have an excellent walk in shower - preferably with a bench - because that will almost certainly be needed at some point.

My understanding is that if you want a whirlpool sensation, then the air tubs are the way to go since they don't have the interior pipes that get disgusting.

You should probably get a tub that has a comfortable ledge so that you can more safely get in and out of the tub by sitting on the ledge and swing your legs in and out. Some of the tubs you have posted are more difficult and potentially dangerous so you have to balance yourself by having your leg go up and over the edge of the tub and that creates a lot of potential for a catastrophic fall.

Presumably you are not considering resale as you plan to stay in this place for the foreseeable future so you should do exactly what you want. I remodeled with an view to aging in place and I removed the tub in the master and have a luxurious walk in shower - no tub at all as the second bathroom only has a smaller shower.

ETA And you might want to rethink the large marble on the floor because that can be extremely slippery and hazardous if you or your feet are the least bit damp. I don't think that honed makes the surface of marble less slippery than polished as my counter is honed and it is slick and would be slippery when wet. As far as I can tell honed is more of a cosmetic choice as I wanted a softer look in the master bathroom. You should make sure that the COF is high enough so that the tiles aren't a slip hazard OR have a floor with smaller tiles so that your feet have something to adhere to. I had a tub/shower combination in my master and it was very slippery - when I remodeled I rented an apartment with 12" x 12" marble tiles in the bathroom and they were extremely slippery as well - I felt I was courting death or serious injury whenever I took a shower.

• Tara
    last year

Have you considered a walk-in tub? If you're keeping a separate shower, get just the tub. They do have showers in them too, if you want. Deep for soaking, and you don't have the issues with us older folks not being able to get in and out of a tub.

Ultra Contemporary Walk in Tub with Glowing Window · More Info

Walk-In Tubs · More Info

Walk-In Tubs · More Info

Walk-in Bathtubs · More Info

Seamless · More Info

• ptreckel
    last year

(PS: I love my nightly baths, but “no thank you” to a walk in bath.

• Peggy Menning
    Original Author
    last year

ptreckel

I feel same way ...geesh Im only 55!

I ordered one and will post pics and whether I'm Happy

• ptreckel
    last year

Peggy, I am 69. And, damn it, I will take a bath in a regular tub, as long as I am able. I am more fit than most 30 year olds. Yes, I am one fall away from an injury…but so are they. There is value in a tub beyond the issue of age. I say, a shower and a tub if possible. But…just because someone is 55+ doesn’t mean one necessarily is geriatric. I say 70 is the new 50! 😉