Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_caraway18

Getting minimal,showings

Karen
last year
last modified: last year

I’m in a fairly hot market right outside of washignton dc but receiving minimal showings, but priced lower than comparable houses

**** removed link since many responses are not helpful and cannot delete****

Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• Lacey
    last year

I'm in a similar situation, but on the opposite coast. My understanding is the the higher the value of the home, the fewer people that are able to afford it, which results in fewer showings. The time of year can also make an impact. Summer viewers are more prevalent, but have more options so are less serious. Winter viewers are fewer, but are more serious. Trends are also showing a calming of the market. Your home is beautiful, I will guess your best bet is patience.

• kempek01
    last year

Your address is Burke, while many of the nearby homes that are priced comparably with you are in Fairfax. Could that be part of the issue (I've never heard of Burke, but I have heard of Fairfax)?

Also, for the homes in Burke, you are on the higher end of what is available right now. That may be affecting how you are perceived online.

What does your realtor say about it?

• nickel_kg
    last year

For what it's worth, Burke is a well known area in Fairfax County -- I guarantee that's not an issue. Location of this particular house is actually very desirable as anyone clicking on the map and familiar with Northern Virginia will see.

Sorry, I have no constructive comments ... just hang in there, in this cooling market.

eta: well looking at your pics one more time, just a tiny little thing. The black side of your refrigerator is prominent. I had to look closely to see that it is stainless on front, not a fully black appliance. I'd mount a large picture or cheery calendar or something on it to hide the black and re-take those pictures.

• Louise Smith
    last year

The pictures are angled so that the ceilings dominate many of the pictures, giving a closed-in feeling. Also, the HGTV endorsed monochromatic gray makes me feel that I'm looking at a recently flipped house. And the extensive carpeting is a turn-off to many people. Are there hardwood floors under that gray w2w carpeting?

• cjh4q
    last year

On and off the market since May, when the local market was still pretty hot. What was the feedback from you realtor? The area has cooled and houses are sitting longer. What’s the parking like and condition of the pipe stem? Do you have any playable yard? How close is the house to the townhomes?

• Lau Rie
    last year

Crop out the cracked driveway and the rocks in the metal mesh in the photo of the backyard. Update light fixtures in the public areas (they give it a dated look). Consider updated stair rail in entry. Consider staging living and dining areas. The couches and chair look dated.

• PRO
    Karen
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the responses. its just taking longer in this cooling market. if houzz would let me delete this i would, but they won’t so I’ll genralize. First off, this is not a flipped house and there are no hardwoods under the floors. if someone wants hardwoods they can do it, but i wouldnt be able to recoup the cost of hardwoods. Only feedback is back yard is too small - have side/front yards that are usable and back yard to the creek.

• elcieg
    last year

Our dearest friends lived in Fairfax from the time he came back from Vietnam until two years ago. His next job was at the Pentagon. They loved Fairfax for the school system, the ease of getting to the Metro, yet it was a family neighborhood. We went there several times to visit because our daughter was Navy/Bethesda Naval Hospital. We are Bostonians, but did we love the area. It's exciting...so close to so many fabulous things.

The homes we saw were lovely and none had huge yards. Even those with no driveways were still high end prices.

Somethings off. How long is your contract with this realtor? You need a fresh start; new photos; and when you relist, it will show as a a brand new listing. I think it isn't selling because your realtor has done bad job advertising it. BTW, I am on Cape Cod and my neighbor lived in Fairfax and worked for Northrup Grumman. She misses Fairfax.

• nickel_kg
    last year

If I'm not mistaken, this is showing as "contingent" now.