Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_smith9580

How to increase curb appeal?

Emily Smith
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I really hate the brown/red tones on my house. It feels so heavy. I want to make changes to brighten everything up, but I dont have a vision!! I was thinking maybe limewashing the brick and changing the roof color. Thoughts?

I also would LOVE to figure out a way to change the entry stairs to face the road and making a path off the driveway. It’s so unwelcoming having the door not visible from the street. :(

Any ideas?? I need help!

Comments (9)

• tfitz1006
    2 months ago

I think one thing is that the white shutters just seem too bright. I wonder about a sage green instead (for the garage door as well). I like your brick. Maybe power wash the roof and driveway? Then, I think a good long-term landscaping plan will make all the difference.

Emily Smith thanked tfitz1006
  • jck910
    2 months ago

Agree with @tfitz1006 that the white isn't working. Have everything power washed (roof, bricks, concrete) then evaluate. I would not do anything to the brick. Paint the trim & garage door sage green and the shutters a shade darker. Widen the porch to the edge of the grass. Put the stairs in front of the window. Then you'll need a walkway to the street or curved to come further down on the driveway. Then landscaping will help the curb appeal alot. Cute house.

Emily Smith thanked jck910
  • kandrewspa
    2 months ago

If it's time for a new roof, get a medium gray this time. Your brick is very adaptable, no need to change it. Once painted, it can't be undone, and then it has to be periodically repainted, thus creating an ongoing maintenance requirement which you don't currently have. Green is a good choice with your brick, but the right shade of blue would also work, as would black shutters. White is definitely not working. You really need landscaping across the front and you're right, you need to do something to call attention to the front door since it's hidden. Find a local landscaping designer to prepare a plan for you, but don't plant anything until the roof is done. The roofers need to be able to place ladders, and if the existing roof has to be removed first (in a lot of localities it is within code to have two layers of roofing, but not more) they will make a mess.

Emily Smith thanked kandrewspa
  • doods
    2 months ago

Nothing wrong with the brick, it is the lack of landscaping, the white shutters and the brown roof. I like what Celery has done.

Emily Smith thanked doods
  • PRO
  • Emily Smith
    Original Author
    2 months ago

WOW!! Sage green never crossed my mind! What a beautiful idea! & thank you Celery I wouldnt be able to create that in a million years 😂 GORGEOUS! Thank you

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

I like the way your dark garage door looks with the brick. I think I’d just paint all the trim and shutters that same color.

• Sigrid
    2 months ago

The white shutters don't go with the brick. I'd paint them a muted blue or sagey green. You need landscaping. I wouldn't paint the brick.