Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Beautiful Julia Morgan-designed Arts & Craft home goes on sale

jakkom
last year

That old-growth redwood is simply spectacular - no knots or imperfections! Wish there were more photos in the article, though.

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/julia-morgan-berkeley-home-sale-17451995.php

There is a slideshow of 42 photos on the realtor's site, but of course as soon as a house sale goes through they will take it down. So if you want to check it out, do it soon:

Realtor's slideshow

Comments (10)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Ok, I was all in on the interior until I saw the kitchen. The incongruence with the rest of the warm, inviting interior just smacked me in the face -- IMO it's atrocious in the context of the rest of the house. I also don't like the exterior, especially the back -- it's just....weird and looks like the top of the house is going to collapse onto the bottom from the back and side views.

• sushipup2
    last year

I think it's just perfect.

• kempek01
    last year

According to the article, the kitchen is a "modern update". While the kitchen seems fine on its own (and it is separated from the rest of the house), I agree with @mxk3 z5b_MI that there is "incongruence" with the rest of the house.

• nickel_kg
    last year

I'm not fond of super-whiteout kitchens, but its layout is fine. I agree about the overhanging rear-end of the upper story -- I'd want to add some sort of column for visual support.

I'd gladly overlook those faults because the rest of the house is so gorgeous!

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Does it come with a maid? LOL......My priorities have changed as I've gotten older. And speaking of priorities, I don't really like the fridge in another room, nor do I like that the dining room can't be accessed from the kitchen except by turning through the pantry. I guess that's a throwback to the times when staff served the dining room from the butler's pantry, but now it looks quite awkward to me. Perhaps because it's a corner, and not a straight walk through? And why are the laundry machines squeezed into the corner between the fridge and the laundry sink???

But - I love the upstairs, especially the sleeping porch.

• c t
    last year

Don't care for the kitchen or the trellis with nothing growing on it. Beautiful house though.

• 3katz4me
    last year

Very cool house. Yes, the kitchen looks like it's had some appliance updates but those cabinets could have been there for a very long time. I don't mind that they didn't turn the kitchen into a showplace. Hopefully whoever buys the place will not destroy the character of it.

• palimpsest
    last year
    last modified: last year

The kitchen probably does not function like the ideal modern kitchen--it looks like you can either prep next to the sink or on top of the DW if you want to be adjacent to the range, neither is great. These things are what make me think very little was actually done to this kitchen except fitting in new appliances.

But I would gain prep and set down space immediately by getting rid of that range. The majority of home kitchens don't need a salamander --I certainly don't. You could put in a 30" set up and gain counterspace.

I don't know how I would feel about working in that kitchen, the fridge in in a different room but it's still closer to everything than in a lot of the giant kitchens people are designing in the Building Forum.

I would just hate to see this house get a full on modern Craftsman-orgasm kitchen that looked like it should really be a library because it's so elaborate, and not the kitchen. Those may be beautiful in their own right but it really would not be appropriate for this house even though the style would be technically right. But no such thing existed as a kitchen in 1905.

• palimpsest
    last year

And just as an aside, I am thinking that the laundry room may have at one time been a screened in or semi open service porch. My Craftsman/ Bungalow / Suburban house plan books for houses of the period often show a toilet on a porch rather than in the house proper, on the first floor. Some even had bathrooms with a toilet and sink that then connected to a porch with the toilet in it's own little cubicle. But some of the more modest houses were designed as bathroom optional.