Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairytalepink

Should you list brands of products used in a home renovation?

Christopher Sosa
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

The web seems to be split on whether you should list specific brands of products you used in your renovations when listing homes. While some say that listing brands show that you care about using high-quality products, others say that you can turn off buyers who might prefer competitor brands. For example, I might prefer Moen faucets and Whirlpool appliances, while a potential buyer might prefer Delta faucets and GE appliances.

Many people are loyal to specific brands these days. Perhaps it may be better to go with two brands for each product category when renovating instead of just one to be more inclusive of buyers who prefer those brands.

What do you think?

Comments (10)

• sushipup2
    2 months ago

If you use really high-end appliances, maybe. But nothing you mentioned is high-end.

• bry911
    2 months ago

What do you think?

I think it is a terrible idea. It says to me that you think the house is worth more money because it has X brand appliances in it. If you have a La Cornue range maybe, but then again if you have a La Cornue range just make sure one of the listing photos shows it.

I have seen people list a Sub-Zero fridge when it was panel-ready because it was not obvious in the photos. I can't imagine anything else being worth mentioning.

• Christopher Sosa
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Note that we are not currently in the market, but I just wanted to know for future reference. For appliances the house came with GE, but we have a Whirlpool fridge. For faucets, the house came with Delta, but a few items were replaced with Moen, including the kitchen faucet which we installed a U by Moen Smart Faucet. For the thermostats, we installed Honeywell RTH9585WF Color Smart Thermostats.

I just wondered it we sold in the future, would we alienate potential buyers who might prefer competitor brands or products.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

No you are overthinking. If they care they care and will check the brand. Most people want a look so you may have spent $1000 on a faucet but if they don’t like it it doesn’t matter.

• Christopher Sosa
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That's the problem. People are so swayed by looks that they tend to cut corners and skimp on quality. If I bought a house with off-brand faucets I would immediately replace them with Moen, regardless of how they look. I care more about quality.

• bry911
    2 months ago

“People are so swayed by looks that they tend to cut corners and skimp on quality. If I bought a house with off-brand faucets I would immediately replace them with Moen, regardless of how they look.”

Two points… (1) Replacing safe, attractive, and well functioning faucets because they are off-brand is a bit silly. I mean I understand investing in things that will last when you buy them but once you own them just wait until they actually break.

(2) The best thing for the buyers is not always the best thing for the sellers. Few buyers are going to add a premium for faucets and so sellers shouldn't waste their money.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 months ago

Nobody's going to care if you have Moen, Delta, or Grohe faucets - even if they have a preference they'll replace them. Ditto for appliances; if it's important to them, they'll replace them, but no one is going to choose your house because of the brand of appliances. They won't say "I don't really like the size of the bedrooms, but they do have a Whirlpool dishwasher", or "I love the layout and the flooring, but I can't imagine buying it with a Samsung dishwasher".

• elcieg
    2 months ago

There is more to buying a house than the brand of appliances, especially if the kitchen needs a major overhaul. I had a friend (RIP) who would never keep a toilet or sink. No matter the bathroom was top shelf, out they came. I couldn't argue his toilet thing.

• lyfia
    2 months ago

No not the ones you mentioned. Only time I think it is appropriate to mention is if it is really a high end product that wouldn't be expected to be found in a certain price range. I mean a high end product in a very expensive house shouldn't need to be mentioned either as it would be more expected, but a high end product used in a mid-range house might be worth pointing out. However the brands you are mentioning are just normal products.

ETA: In my house the Moen shower failed years ago, while the Delta one in the master which is used way more often is going strong. Replacing the Moen was an ordeal in itself as we couldn't find one that fit the existing plumbing connections so just replaced it with Delta and haven't regretted that decision. So since some will like one brand and others another you may turn off some and interest others and seems to me better to just avoid turning off people and let them fall in love with other areas of the house when they go to see it versus scaring them off before they even get in the door.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths