Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_423979148

Sell unused kitchen cabinets - thoughts

Estelle Grech
last year

Hello. So I have about 12 cabinets that were never used, not hung, anything. Brand new Starmark cabinets. Price is about $14,000. They were extras there were replaced by MFR since there were very slight imperfections. When all is said and done most people wouldn't have even noticed it because it's the type of slight mark that a installer would do so they are really really good. I want to list them on FB Marketplace. What do you think is a reasonable price to aim for? I am in NYC so 12 cabinets is enough for a kitchen or even for a rental/basement etc.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

$500 if you are lucky. The chances of finding someone whose kitchen will be exactly like this setup and will have the exact taste as you are slim. Worth a try I guess. Or donate them to habitat and get a tax deduction.

• Estelle Grech
    Original Author
    last year

They are white shaker cabinets which are extremely popular right now. And for a rental or basement - I know i won't get a ridiculous amount for them but I feel like there still may be a market for them.

• M Miller
    last year

I would look on Craig's List and FB Marketplace to see what other similar cabinets are selling for in your area, and then price yours accordingly. It's really impossible for people on this forum to know your cabinets, your market, and what your cabinets' quality and desirability are. You don't say whether they are uppers or base cabinets or both. If they are all uppers (since you said they hadn't "been hung"), it's a much harder sell without base cabinets to match.

• Estelle Grech
    Original Author
    last year

Good point. To clarify it's a mix of uppers and base, a little heavier on the base though. They are white maple shaker-style Starmark cabinets which in our area are desire and considered very good quality. I did try looking at FB marketplace but all that is available at the moment was used kitchens and retailers trying to promote their services. I guess I'll just give it a shot and see. Thank you.

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree, with @HALLETT & Co. if you itemize your donations for tax return, donate them and get a donation receipt. I'm thinking Habitat for Humanity, as new homes are built with new everything and, I am sure, you will get more than $500.00 for a tax write off.

• einportlandor
    last year

What do you have to lose? Price them at $7000, market them on Facebook Marketplace and Craig's List as brand new, and see if you get any hits. If no, relist at them at $3500. If still nothing, offer them on NextDoor for $500 OBO, or donate them. Give it a shot.

• bry911
    last year

Which cabinets you have, and which you are missing, is likely more important than the number that you have. If you don't have a sink base or you have 18 linear feet of wall cabinets and only 10 linear feet of base cabinets it will be worth significantly less than a similar number of cabinets that will actually make a fully functional kitchen.

I would recommend selling the cabinets as a fully designed kitchen cabinets, rather than just a collection of cabinets. In other words, actually build a kitchen design using these cabinets and advertise that. I would even consider buying a sink cabinet or a few inexpensive base cabinets to make the design work. Most people are not going to be able to take a list of cabinets and imagine it in their space but they will be able to figure out if a diagram of cabinets will fit.

Good luck

• Lyndee Lee
    last year

Most people buy the cabinets they want for their project from a retailer or cabinet maker. The people who look at FB marketplace, demo sales, ReStore, Craigslist etc are looking for a bargain and the low price will be more important than the high quality. I would say you would be doing well if you can get back 25% of the price paid, but more likely 15% to 20%. Your best use might be to add them to your laundry room, pantry, storage, garage, or  basement rather than selling. 

I have reused cabinets in several projects and created a kitchen from showroom samples of Mouser Cabinets. While the kitchen turned out quite well, there are a couple quirks due to creating a kitchen from feature cabinets, not the basic ones. For those cabinets, I paid about $600 for 14 cabinets from ReStore. When I have to do the designing and possibly modifying a cabinet or two to fit the space, I am looking for a low end price. If the cabinets were exactly right for my project and had not gotten dinged up in handling, I might pay $3,000. The more typical story would be me having to modify at least one, do some stain matching for some shelving or end panels and get very creative to fill out the space. For that level of work, I am not going to pay more than $1,500 to $2,000 for the cabinets.

• M Miller
    last year

I have never seen a Craig’s List or FB Marketplace listing with the detail that @User said to do. In reality, they mostly have photos of a few of the cabinets, and a list of basic measurements of each cabinet (”36” tall upper, 12” deep, 20” wide, white Shaker by Starmark“). Too much detail and fine print in the listing, and the potential buyers will scroll to the next listing. Know your audience.

I think @einportlandor’s comment was the best advice. However, if you are in a rush to get rid of the cabinets, price them low and you'll get a bunch of interested buyers quicker. Don’t let greed ruin your sale.

Don’t forget about specifying that the buyer handles pick up and transportation. That will weed people out (unless you have the capability of delivering the cabinets).

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

If the donor is trying to establish a fair market value for tax deduction, the donor will have to provide documentation of purchase or basis in order to claim anywhere near that $ amount.

"Household Goods
    The FMV of used household goods, such as furniture, appliances, and linens, is usually much lower than the price paid when new. Such used property may have little or no market value because of its worn condition. It may be out of style or no longer useful.

You cannot take a deduction for household goods unless they are in good used condition or better. A household good that is not in good used condition or better for which you take a deduction of more than $500 requires a qualified appraisal and Form 8283, Section B. See Deduction over $500 for certain clothing or household items, later." https://www.irs.gov/publications/p561#en_US_202109_publink1000257962

We used to get this question at ReStore all the time. Donors wanted us to use the purchase receipt to value a donation. The recipient never values the donation.

• jemimabean
    last year

As a comparison, in 2019 I sold the old kitchen cabinets from my house for $2,500 on FB Marketplace. I’ve attached a photo so that you can see the sort of pinkish/dated thing we’re talking about. Within an hour of posting, I had five people interested (I really should have priced them higher, but I was sure that no one would actually want them). Two guys came over the next day, paid in cash, and hauled them off. They own a lot of properties and were thrilled to have a newer kitchen to update one of their older homes. They also took the counters.

I know that these kind of threads get a lot of naysayers, but my feeling is that if someone in Oklahoma can sell off a whole 90’s kitchen so quickly, surely you’ll do just fine with selling never used quality cabinets.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

We sold a couple of our bathroom cabinets that had imperfections for about 50% of their value on FB marketplace last year. I'm sure you could probably do the same with an entire kitchen. When we bought our lake house in 2020, we sold kitchen cabinets and vaniety cabinets on FB marketplace as well (along with random furniture and other items). Within 30 minutes we had multiple inquiries. We priced everthing low based on the interest we had, but we just wanted them gone. So I would think you could get 50-60% for an entire kitchen. You may luck out and get more. I'm always the one who wants to list higher and come down if need be. For our current kitchen renovation, I'm hoping to donate to Habitat for Humanity. Good luck!

• bry911
    last year

While I am a CPA, I am not a tax accountant. I strongly advise that you discuss donation with a qualified tax expert prior to doing that. You are likely going to have to adjust the fair market value to your basis (which is zero as you paid nothing for them) or claim the difference between fair market value and what you paid as a capital gain. Which removes much of the benefit even if it is long-term.

Not to mention if the amount is over $5,000 you have to have a qualified appraisal in addition to the form 8283.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I am of the "ask half the brand new price" school. Very good photos of the cabinets with the type, brand, style, measurements (even item #s if you have them) should be sufficient.

If you don't get any solid interest, remove the listing, wait a day or so, then re-post at a lower price.

If you can't keep them around waiting for the best price, then bargain basement price them.

• Stax
    last year

Is this not spam?

• worthy
    last year

We have 30 feet of 1990s kitchen cabinetry in our vacant un-alarmed teardown that we are leaving for Mr. Komatsu. I learned from past experience that prospects who said, "nah," will show up for their own Midnight sale, as we used to call it in NYC.

Many Kijiji, FB "shoppers" are simply looking for cheap stock for their continuous summertime yard sales.

Anything of value, we donate to Sally Ann.

Letting strangers into our home supposedly shopping for cheap cabinetry, no thanks!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022