Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurab401

Front Door Color Recommendation

laurab401
last year

Hi! We are going to be listing for sale and received feedback that a different color front door would help the curb appeal pop. Any suggestions on door color? We will be replacing railings with more modern composite black balusters. Thank you!

(Please note!!!!!! Pressure washing house will be done when temps rise in a couple weeks and additional prepping/staging will be done. We are also not open to changing the color of the house)

Comments (21)

• HU-437936553
    last year

Black , a deep blue or red would look great, I think.

laurab401 thanked HU-437936553
  • Paul F.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Colors are hard to see the color in the shadow. Would you say light gray with a black roof? Not sure I like the idea of a black plastic baluster.

laurab401 thanked Paul F.
  • makmartell
    last year

Shiny black. (I’m glad you’re changing to black balusters.) ideally, paint the shutters too - but I can understand if thats a bridge further than you want to mess with. And yep, beat me to the powerwashing suggestion, haha.

laurab401 thanked makmartell
  • laurab401
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a close up of the house color better, thank you!

• chloebud
    last year

Buyers will likely change any door color, but a soft yellow would be nice. I think a lighter color might be better since the door is recessed and somewhat in shadows. I actually think the current crisp white is nice.

laurab401 thanked chloebud
  • Jilly
    last year

I’d do navy and leave the balusters white. I don’t see how modern black balusters will relate to anything else. Maybe someone can do a mock-up.

It’s an appealing house, don’t muck it up for resale. Buyers will want to add their own touches (or will like it as is). I think painting the front door to freshen it up is a great idea, and add some potted plants or other porch decor for an inviting and welcoming look …. but other than the powerwashing, wouldn’t make other changes.

laurab401 thanked Jilly
  • acm
    last year

yellow, turquoise, or cranberry. eye-catching.

laurab401 thanked acm
  • acm
    last year

laurab401 thanked acm
  • laurab401
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, all!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Clean it and place it for sale. I don't see any reason to paint the door or replace the railings.

• cat_ky
    last year

I would not paint them black. I see nothing on your house that relates to black railings. Leave them white. If they need paint, touch them up. Clean, clean, clean, and your house will sell. Leave the door too. Who ever buys it can paint it their favorite color.

• colonel115
    last year

Agree on leaving the railings white. Pick the soft yellow for a fresh front door color and add a couple of planters with coordinating flowers. Personally I'd be happier as a buyer with white trim rather than black.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I like the coloring of your house! I wouldn't paint anything EXCEPT the front door, and I'd go red with it ... or burgundy.

Yes to a good pressure wash.

Then add a pretty wreath and some flowers (preferably to tie into the red), and you'll have a lovely facade that'll draw in buyers!

• laurab401
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, all!

quick note - we are not replacing balusters for cosmetic reasons- the white wooden ones are very worn down and splitting so we are doing composite for a more durable solution. we live in the mountains with alot of snow and cold temps. they would not pass FHA loan inspections in current state.

• D M PNW
    last year

I would remove the balusters as the porch is too narrow for anything. Add large pots with annuals on the ground to add color in the spring.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Agree with removing the railings as there’s no need for them. Plus, they block the view of porch-sitters.

• tlynn1960
    last year

I've had two homes (one a Cape Cod style and the second was a Colonial) with gray siding and a red door. Both had charcoal for the roof color and a similar color for shutters. A house in a neighborhood that I used to pass on the way to visit family, had a similar gray palette, but had a yellow door and it was really lovely.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

What is the housing market like in your area? My niece just bought a home in the past month. Houses here are locked under contract within 3 days of listing. They are not fixed up and your unlikely to win the bid if you are doing any type of special financing that will cost the seller more than conventional. No FHA, No VA, No contingencies, No inspections. In her zip code In February - 71% closed within 30 days of listing

67% sold at or over list and

average list price was 12% over last February.

If this is similar to your market you don't have to do anything except place the sign in the front yard.

• lyfia
    last year

I would leave it as is and also just remove the railings. Code shouldn't require railings since the porch is not more than a step up. This would save you money as well. Just clean and leave as is. It is nice and neutral and not off-putting in any form. Also removing the railings will make the porch seem larger and less closed in.

• strawchicago z5
    last year

One friend moved to Florida, she spent lots of time painting her front door from white to RED (it didn't work the 1st time, so she had to apply a second coating of paint). The people who bought her house RE-PAINT it immediately to GREEN.

I personally love white door and don't like red door.

It was a total waste of time & money for my friend to paint that door, esp. when she had 2 toddler-twins.

In a tight housing & ideal location like my last town .. I saw 2 old houses which replaced their house with the most expensive carpet, plus replaced the kitchen countertop with marble. Then the buyers completely tore down these 2 old houses to build new & bigger houses on the same lot.