Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondeceo

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…

Koleen M
10 months ago

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I’ll try to keep it short and sweet. We purchased this home in 2018. The previous owners did not update anything since they custom built it in 1990. Please note - we are very grateful and thankful to have a roof over our head and in great working condition. We are planning to sell within the next three years, so would like to update it at low cost.

My Priority

• Get rid of the carpet and tile on the 1st floor. Currently have off white carpet and white-ish tile. Too hard to keep clean especially with two smaller dogs. One step away from purchasing luxury vinyl flooring (waterproof).

Dilemma

• Haven’t picked out color/“species” of flooring yet due to the Oak (as pictured) throughout the home (kitchen/bookcase/stairs/linen closet/bathrooms)
  • While I like Oak, I am not fond of this color and despise (seriously despise) the curvature design at the top of each door
  • Another ugly bone of contention are the hinges. They are exposed and outdated.
  • I prefer not to go the resurface route due to cost.
  • Will need to replace the countertops and backsplash

Thoughts??

• Keep cabinets and stain? Maybe the curvature would not be so prominent?

Your suggestions welcomed!

Comments (13)

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

I think you could make a big impact by getting rid of the large lightbox in the kitchen.

What does "at low cost" mean? That means different things to different people. Replacing the tile and carpet with wood is going to be a big expense, but will have a big impact.

What do kitchens look like in your area in houses for sale?

You will probably get a lot of feedback that says nothing short of gutting this kitchen and putting in a new one with an improved layout will have very much impact for resale. They aren't wrong necessarily. If you are updating just for you, and the expectation is that the house will be marketed and sold as a house that needs to have a kitchen remodel, that's one thing. If you want to update in order to sell the house, that's another thing entirely.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

My client also had a 1990's hickory kitchen.

We painted the bases Navy. Removed all uppers and got new KraftMaid White wall cabinets to the ceiling with a crown molding. ($3000)

-New quartz tops ($6000)

-New floating shelves ($600)

-New tile backsplash ($2295)

-Installation of cabinets, moldings and hardware ($2200)

-Drywall work on OLD 1920s walls ($1200)

-Electrical work and lighting ($2700)

-New slate floor (unknown...DIY)

-New appliances. (unknown....DIY)

-New hardware (unknown....DIY)

Looks like a brand new kitchen. Wasn't cheap! My work came to $17,995. But wasn't a $50K to $80k remodel either. This was supposed to be a temporary fix until she could remodel in 8-10 yrs....but decided she loved it after it was done.

See the BEFORE PICS of this project.....

White - Navy - Brass Kitchen Makeover · More Info

• cpartist
    10 months ago

Find a LVT that looks like slate.

Replace the counters

Get rid of that hideous light fixture over the island

Get modern looking cabinet pulls that match the hinge colors

Do nothing else because you will never get the money back when you sell

When you sell, declutter and clean

• crcollins1_gw
    10 months ago

Yeah, I'd probably look into taking out that terrible dropped light, but even just doing that could turn into a give a mouse a cookie situation. You don't know what you'll find up there or what heroic ($$) efforts it will take to rectify it. And no way I'd put new counters on those dysfunctional old cabinets, except maybe a laminate if I could do it for less than a grand. Even then you're talking new sink, backsplash, etc... I've talked myself out of that, even. Do nothing.

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

On the other hand, what if you stay ten. Not every decision on a place where you Live has to be based solely on return on investment. Maybe decide how much you could spend without recouping any of the additional money spent.

• elcieg
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Living room: Either remove the cabinets at fireplace (optimal) or paint them white. New decor for shelving.

The overlay rug...I'd rather see the wall to wall carpet (cleaned).

Lots of dark tones....brighten the room up. Carpet looks like a light neutral so inspirations for you:

Replace the fan with a chandelier. It will add style when lighted for open houses.

Kitchen: Remove ceiling light and replace with something up to date.

Remove wallpaper border.

Add black hardware.

Paint the island and have the color work with the floor.

Remove red valances and don't replace.

Rug for under table.

• AnnKH
    10 months ago

I agree with the others regarding the kitchen - if you want to make changes for yourself, go for it, but I would not try to guess what a future buyer might want. If you are sure you are selling soon (3 years FLY by in my world!), save your money and price accordingly.

I can absolutely see replacing the counters, but I would get a laminate for sure. Adding hardware to the doors and drawers will not only make a big visual impact for small cost, but make using the kitchen a lot more pleasant. I think the kitchen tile would look a lot different without the tile counters.

• apple_pie_order
    10 months ago

In my area, vinyl flooring is a big step down from ceramic tile in buyer-perceived quality. If I were planning to sell in three years, I'd simply hire professional tile and carpet cleaners once or twice a year. There are also new robotic floor cleaners (not just vacuums) that might be pretty good now. They could be worth checking out.

I would replace the kitchen light fixture because it is the elephant in the room.

• worthy
    10 months ago

There's no guarantee that your aesthetic and material choices will attract buyers anymore than the funky '90s look.

That lightbox is too much though.

Pixlip

Lightboxes have evolved.

• AC M
    10 months ago

That “new” style light box reminds me of a tanning bed! ( or maybe a grow house…)

• Louise Smith
    10 months ago

The house I bought recently was built in 1979 and had never been updated. It had the lightbox in the kitchen. And arched golden oak cabinets would have been a big step up from the cabinets that were in the house. Formica countertops, . . well - you get the drift. I was so happy they left everything the way it was and didn't muck it up with half-baked and cheap changes. The price reflected the state of the house (functionally and mechanically the house was fantastic, just not aesthetically).

We gutted the bathrooms and kitchen, and I got the kitchen of my dreams. We took a pass on other houses that had been "updated" but either not to my aesthetic or standards. Cheap changes do not improve a house.

• HU-227031627
    6 months ago

We all have different likes and dislikes. What jumps out to me when I look at your kitchen relative to cheap fixes are the wallpaper border, the curtains, the tile countertops and backsplash, and the ceiling light box. I would leave the tile flooring and cabinets as is since you intend to move and don't want to spend a lot on renovating.