Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolynr85

New flooring before or after we move in?

carolynr85
6 months ago

Hello we are a family of 7 and moving to Las Vegas! Our new home desperately needs new floors. I am debating on just pulling everything out and living on subfloor. We could also install flooring before we move in which would be easier in many ways. The down side is I can’t look at the flooring in the home. Should I make an educated guess and just pick my favorite LVP at home depo or wait to decide until we are in the space but have to shuffle around an install? Help!

get the flooring done before we move in.
move in and live on subfloor
have a better idea?!

Comments (4)

• elcieg
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Before you move in, do everything you can do/afford.

I do a lot of jobs on line and, if you do your homework, it will work for you. I have two clients who live over 3,000 miles away from me. First thing I do is locate home stores in the area and check out brands available.

Got an idea for you...on this post, do not start a new one...add a listing photo of the living room, kitchen, etc where the LVP will go. And, if you can, tell from what direction the natural light comes. You will get lots of help.

BTW, are you painting rooms?

https://www.bhg.com/best-vinyl-plank-flooring-6742953

Here is a good color choice from the #1 choice on the list. It looks good today, not trendy like some, and will good in 20 years. You could decorate in just about any style and the color is varied enough to work with different woods in furniture.

Here is a whole interior color I love.

B.M. Collingwood.

• marmiegard_z7b
    6 months ago

I’ll say it depends, mostly because I guess installing vinyl after moving in is less arduous than site- finished hardwood, though still a huge pain, and more so if you have a lot of big furniture.

What I would ask is, do you have a firm vision of your color palette and furnishings ( woods especially)? Do you already have a “ favorite LVP” that is an enduring preference, like maybe you’ve seen it or a similar toned hardwood installed, or there’s one that is your aspirationional decor scheme?

Are you planning to use a lot of your current furnishings? If so, you could bring samples to your current home, which might help you go eenie, meenie.

It’s maybe simpler you find a medium wood tone, not too much grain pattern one, that seems classic if that’s your thing. Or if you have a good sense of whether you have lots of natural light / good lighting plan vs need the flooring to play a big role in that.

I do tend to overthink things, so not trying to scare you, just that some people are very visual on- site only, some are better at “ seeing” how everything will work together. And is different if you plan to replace a lot of furnishings after you move in, because you can buy to coordinate with floors. One either / or is undertones, cool vs warm, even amongst the “ browns “.

Best of luck with your move!
  • Cindy Myers
    6 months ago

I voted get the floor before u move in. I m trying to match the LVP to go with my kit cabinets and stained doors. If you like gray, u can get LVP that looks like stone cause most colors are grayish. I don't think it's popular; but, I like the look. Also, I believe all heavy furniture needs furniture protector pads. I m not a professional.

• Louise Smith
    6 months ago

I had all the floors redone and all the rooms painted before I moved in to my new house. Not having furniture to move around made for happier workers and happier workers perform better than unhappy workers.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional