Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (8)

• remodeling1840
    5 months ago

If you like this color, take your iPad to the paint store and ask for help. White on your screen might be a different shade than on my screen. As I am looking out onto my porch, I see many shades of white and blue-grey because of the change of plane on the chamfered posts, the railing, and the spindles. I know in fact my house is painted one shade of white. The sunlight, direct and indirect, causes all the differences.

bowman_kim thanked remodeling1840
  • remodeling1840
    5 months ago

Oh, and I once had a client who bemoaned the fact she had spent lots of time and money redecorating her home. She had argued with her designer’s color choices and overruled her in many cases. She said once she had cataract surgery, she was going to redo the colors since her cataracts had added a yellowish tinge to everything she saw!

bowman_kim thanked remodeling1840
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    5 months ago

The two images of the same house show two different colors.

bowman_kim thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • chispa
    5 months ago

One of my neighbors a few blocks away used Navajo White (which isn't really white!) on her house and it does look like a nice creamy color. I sampled it on my house and it looked neon yellow!

Photos don't always tell the whole story, specially if they have been color corrected to look "perfect" for a photo shoot.

Here are some "white" colors I have saved in my Ideabooks. Order the Samplize larger samples to get you started, narrow it down to 2-3 colors and then buy quarts to test on the actual house.

BM White Dove

Hempstead Street · More Info

BM White Dove

Ivy Road House, Atlanta, Georgia · More Info

SW Greek Villa

Lanier Project · More Info

BM Seapearl

Front Elevation · More Info

BM Classic Gray

Warm Modern Exterior · More Info

BM Simply White

Custom Brookhaven Home · More Info

BM Ballet White

Park Cities Traditional · More Info

bowman_kim thanked chispa
  • PRO
    DeWayne
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Please do not PAINT brick. Either limewash it, or use a specialty masonry coating, after proper prep. You will seal it in, and it will spall and peel over time, if you just just garden variety paint.

The project above's Before was SO MUCH better than the After. Painting brick is the current bandwagon that stamps every flipped house to be exactly like every other flipped house.

bowman_kim thanked DeWayne
  • chispa
    5 months ago

Painting brick is not a new trend. I'm not young and I have seen people paint brick my whole life. It usually happens when someone who would not have built a brick house, ends up buying a brick house and then paints it to get rid of the brick color that they never liked.

They don't care about having to repaint the brick, because they would have been repainting the wood (or cement board) siding that they would have preferred right from the start.

We used to live in the northeast and if you were lucky you got about 7 years from a paint job on wood siding. One house we owned had an issue and the paint never lasted longer than 5 years before peeling and looking awful.

bowman_kim thanked chispa
  • chisue
    5 months ago

Our house is brick and stucco. The brick has a red base with a 'baked on' white texture that has remained unchanged through twenty midwestern winters. The light-textured stucco is a similar of-white. The red base is only visible close up.