Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Removing paint on wood trim

Rosefolly
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

I am considering an 80 year old house that has been extensively updated. Some if it I do like. Old systems fail, or simply need to be brought up to current standards. However, one of the "updates" is that they painted all the extensive wood trim. Sigh. One of the reasons I would buy an older house it so I could get all that lovely wood trim.

I'm wondering how expensive it would be to get all that fresh paint off all that wood trim, which for me, has just been pretty much ruined. It's not a job I would do myself, so I would have to hire it done.

They painted the fireplace brick too, but I could cover it with some nice Craftsman-era reproduction tile, an easy fix and IMO an upgrade.

Or would I do better to simply move on and look for another place?

Comments (13)

• P Banos
    2 months ago

Just guessing 15 a foot, could be more.

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

if it were me, I would pass unless you LOVE the neighborhood (one thing you can’t change) - wondering if the house is priced with the ”upgrades” - if so, you may be able to find a house with the original trim in place at a better price bc it would be considered ”dated” - just guessing since every house and real estate market is different

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, I think I agree. You are confirming my own instinctive reaction. Too bad.

There will be other houses that not have been "remuddled".

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

""updates" is that they painted all the extensive wood trim.

"One of the reasons I would buy an older house it so I could get all that lovely wood trim."

How do you know the wood was "lovely"?

Maybe it was beat up, dried out, , not a nice stain, very orange, how do you know?

Painted trim and wood stained doors can be lovely. Wood trim , even if you love it isn't always a requirement for a beautiful home, even Craftsman.

More likely, you just didn't love it enough for the price : )

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

Right, not all wood is lovely. Or it has so many coats of stuff on it that it makes more sense to paint it than to try to restore it. And you are always rolling the dice a bit when you gamble on making after-purchase changes to get a house to work for you.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

Frst we need pictures and you need to provide those along with the actual time the wood was painted. Often in really old houses painted woodwork was done using lead based paint and that is a real huge cost to remove.. I think move on and find a house better suited to your wants. There are many old homes that did not have beautiful woodwork or a mixed bag of different woods so paint was the answer. I have no idea about the house you are looking at but I would try to find something that works better for you if possible. BTW I find wood trim everywhere a bit depressing so someone will come along to buy that home because the wood is painted .

• elcieg
    2 months ago

80 year old house is not "old " to me. Built in the 40's, probably a post war house. Nothing great going on with a new build at that time. America was just recovering and homes being built were meant for lower income, first time home buyers, affordable for soldiers returning home.

A photo of the trim would help.

Maybe your timeline is off...Craftsman was before the war: True Craftsman homes date back to the late 19th century through the 1930s.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

If the house is that old you might be facing LEAD PAINT!!! If that's the case, then any removal will require special handling and $$$$$$

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I wrote "80" but it is really 100 year old house, 1920's. I seem to have missed a couple of decades in my calculating!

Nonetheless, I am going to skip it. It is a nice house, but I will wait for the right house.

Thanks for the advice and points of view.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Now we're curious to see the listing : )

• rwiegand
    2 months ago

Stripping woodwork is a real labor of love (DAMHIK!) Species matters. open pore woods (eg oak) are a serious PITA to strip-- you end up chasing bits of paint in the pores with a dental pick forever. Cherry/maple/walnut are much easier. I'd only really consider it now (being older and perhaps wiser) if the wood is closed pore, special, and they left a coat of shellac under the paint. It doesn't help that the more effective strippers have been banned. Replacing the trim is often a more time/cost effective solution.

Eventually the current rabid hatred of any color in a house that suggests orange will pass and natural colors that haven't all been grayed out to death will come back. Just hope some of our old houses survive long enough!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 months ago

Could you post photos of the house especially of the painted trim? Is there any unpainted trim in the house that would give you a clue as to what species the wood might be? I found this from a quick internet search. "
    In January 2024 the cost to Remove Trim Paint starts at $2.91 - $5.76 per linear foot. "

So, you should you should be able to do a relatively quick estimate yourself to get a high and low end estimate of getting the job done.