Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmen_tucker70

do I paint the island a different color?

Karmen Tucker
6 months ago

The cabinets are going to be painted SW Snowbound and the counters are going to be Calacatta Idillio. Do I paint the island a different color than the cabinets (SW Pewter Cast) or keep it the same color as the rest of the cabinets?

Comments (22)

• Sammie J
    6 months ago

What are you doing with the floors? Material/color, etc...

• vinmarks
    6 months ago

It doesn't even look like you have room for that island. What are your aisle clearances?

• Karmen Tucker
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Sammie they are going to be Shaw Hacienda Macadamia.

@vinmarks The angle isn’t great to show clearance. It is a small kitchen but there will be 39.5 inches once the counters are installed.

@lomo that’s just primer right now not the actual color. Spacing will be standard.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    6 months ago

Hmmm. I thought standard aisles were 42” to 48”. If there’s any doors opening into the aisle (refrigerator, oven) I would think you would want at least 48”.

• vinmarks
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

39.5 is narrow. Where is the fridge? That will stick out further than the countertop and make the aisle less than 39.5 even if it is counter depth. If it is not a counter depth fridge it will be even worse. Your range will also stick out further than the counters.

• Karmen Tucker
    Original Author
    6 months ago

This is the layout

• s y
    6 months ago

What have you picked for wall color? Could you use that for your island? Are you doing a cushioned window seat with particular colors?

• Karmen Tucker
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@sy. The walls will be SW On The Rocks - so a very light grey. I will do some sort of cushion in the widow seat probably but will wait until after everything is done and I move in.

• jackowskib
    6 months ago

What kind of backsplash are you planning for? Backsplash and floor color should be considered with island color.

• Sammie J
    6 months ago

Pretty floor! I would stay with all one color of cabinetry so it doesn't break up the kitchen.

• Karmen Tucker
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@jackowskib an off white small subway herringbone

• anna_682
    6 months ago

I would also do the walls in SW Snowbound and the island SW Peppercorn.

https://modandmood.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/4-1.jpg

• cpartist
    6 months ago

If it were me, I'd get rid of the island in that too small for an island kitchen and get a moveable cart. 39" is too tight. What is the measurement on the fridge side from door handle to edge of countertop?

• Lyn Nielson
    6 months ago

I would paint the island a different color.

an opportunity to do something fun... you can always change it when you want a sall change.

• kandrewspa
    6 months ago

There is no right or wrong answer. You can see some people think white, others think a color. We still don't know what your floors are. Here are two pictures, one with a dark island, one with a white one. Which one do you like better? Also, Pewter Cast has a purple undertone. To me it looks like a muddy gray. Colors look different in different light. Have you sampled it on a large area? Paint chips are not a good way to choose a color. If you decide you want a contrasting island, just make sure it's the right color. Blues and greens are also popular for islands. What colors do you have in adjacent rooms? The island color should not exist in isolation in your kitchen.

Kitchen · More Info

Country Kitchen · More Info

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

Very pretty cabinets, nice crown. My gut says a different color for the island so it creates more of a focal point and the tight squeeze of the side cabinets will disappear into the background. Normally, I think all one color will make a space feel bigger, but not here for some reason.

A few unrelated questions

Are these old cabinets you are getting painted in place? Is that why there is no flooring down that runs underneath them? Will you be refinishing the ceiling texture? This island will not have seating correct? How deep is that window seat? Looks very shallow. Could be the angle.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    6 months ago

Ok, I’ll answer your original question: same color for cabinets. Mixed colors looks to me like a remodel done after the original color was all sold out and you had to make-do with what you could get.

• lucky998877
    6 months ago

I would keep the island, and keep it the same color as the other cabinets. Have you considered butcher block for the island to warm up the kitchen a little? I had less than ideal aisles in my previous kitchen...and somehow managed to cook and interact with 4 little kids. Your kitchen is small, you need the cabinets...and it doesn't sound like you will be cooking for 8 ;)

• blfenton
    6 months ago

I would keep everything the same colour. It isn't a very big kitchen and it is quite close together so a more cohesive look is nicer in this case

• la_la Girl
    6 months ago

Agree with same color as the cabs for the reasons stated above - you can always change it later - nice kitchen!

• Maxine
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I am also painting my cabinets SW Snowbound and ordering Calacatta Idillio for countertops. Would you share a pic of your finished kitchen? Curious what backsplash you used