Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wickedwhite

Walkway location?

wickedwhite
8 years ago
We are redoing our walkway this summer. Should we keep it in the same location it is now? It currently runs the length of the house. It's a very clean, linear look. Or should we open up the walkway, add a slight curve and have it meet the driveway a little lower down. It's a more welcoming look. Whatever we decide, I want to respect the overall feel and architecture of the house. We need to work with what we have!
Thanks in advance.
P.S. We have also decided to paint the red brick. (I know some Houzzers will be offended, but we are convinced!) We are considering painting it the same colour as the garage door. The idea is to create a more cohesive look between the brick on the right and the stone on the left. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the colour in the comments below.
Leave the walkway where it is.
Curve the walkway slightly and have it meet driveway a little lower down. (See orange extension cord in second photo for suggested placement.)

Comments (22)

• User
    8 years ago

Painting the brick makes sense, because it really doesn't work all that well with your stone, as you say. The curving path is a great idea, and you could landscape on both sides to create the idea of a garden walk to the front door. That said, you could do the same idea without tearing out the old sidewalk if it is in good shape, which would be a budget-friendly option. Bring landscape beds out from the house to the other side of the walk, anchored with some interesting trees, filled in with bushes of varying heights and colors, with some bulb plants and perennials interspersed. If you add some hedging nearer the street (as allowed with the easement) you would gain a nice private feel to your front yard without blocking light into the house.

• wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Sooz. Unfortunately, our current walkway is over 50 years old and is in terrible condition. I like the idea of landscaping along both sides of it. We are thinking about lining the walkway with a small boxwood hedge. Unfortunately, we can't add a hedge around our property due to city by-laws.
    Do you think a curved walkway fights the home's 1950s architecture?
    As for the paint, I generally prefer grey to beige, but in this case I think it's best to match the stone as closely as possible. Any insights there?
  • wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Mark! That is really helpful. Just out of curiosity, are you able to paint it the same colour as the grey front door?
  • Mark
    8 years ago

I think a bit more contemporary curved sidewalk could work nicely.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Hi WW! I like the curved sidewalk and the tony taupe. Nice to hear from you and your house again:)

• User
    8 years ago

How about widening the curve and make a front patio with seating in front of the windows on to the right of the door? It would look like a nice place to have a morning coffee.

• wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Anita. We thought about that, but the house faces North. It's always in the shade and quite cool out front. We prefer to sit in the back. That being said we are planning to widen the porch just a little, which should make room for a chair or a small bench. Could be a perch for a glass of lemonade on a hot day!
  • wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Nice work Mark! I like how the low hedges respect the long lines of the house.
    How do you feel about the taupe? Is it contemporary enough for the house? I also toyed with grey, which is on the front door. BM Rockport Grey.
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Here is a rendering that is more like the color of your garage door. I'm not seeing much of this color in the stone so be careful not to make the stone look like it doesn't match.

• wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Good point. What is the beige colour you used?
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    8 years ago

Remove the walkway, and sod the entire front yard. Then after a year when you find a path worn into the lawn, that is where you should put the walkway.

• Najeebah
    8 years ago
    I like Marks manipulation and creation of a walkway, as well as Mark Bischak's advice on placement of one. I'll keep that in mind when I build :D
    your initial idea of widening the path may work as well
    If you try blending different textures with the same colour it generally stands out more. so use a darker shade of the garage colour and left wall for painting the centre bricks
  • Mark
    8 years ago

The color I used on the rendering was computer generated. It's difficult to suggest an actual paint color without seeing the stone in person. A lot of paint stores I deal with will have testers that are not that expensive and that way you can choose a few different shades and try them without having to buy a quart or gallon. Some paint stores will have very large paint swatches that are really helpful too, but remember that the paint will look different on your brick and mortar than it would on a flat wall.

• Ann
    8 years ago

Hi WW! Just thinking of you today and wondering what you decided about paint? Hope it's finally warmed up there.

• wnec1
    8 years ago
    We have a curved walk way. I think it's much more inviting and interesting.
  • tgb1
    8 years ago

I really like Mark's rendering with the curved walkway, but I guess it depends who uses the walkway the most. Do u park up close to the house? Do a lot of people park in the driveway and walk to the front door? Does your mailman have to come up to the front door? If you are the ones who use the driveway and walkway the most, then it makes sense to have it close to the house. If others use it more than u do, then curve it closer to the street.

• wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here's a little update.
  • Ann
    8 years ago

Beautiful new sidewalk and lovely new wide stairs to the door!

• wickedwhite
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks Ann. We still have a lot of work to do, but we're finally making some progress. Hope to start landscaping once we build a retaining wall.
  • Mark
    8 years ago

Very nice ! The side walk and stairs have already made a big difference. Glad you curved it too. Keep us updated :)

• ritting28
    8 years ago
    Paint the bricks and garage door a color to match the stone, then paint the front door an accent color.
    You can still keep a modern linear walkway, but you can relocate it a few feet further from the current position and widen it so two people can comfortably walk on it together.