Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenlizzo

First floor dilemma — narrow home with not so great room.

karenlizzo
last month

Hi there - I’m hoping for help with a project we’ve been wrestling with and we’re stalled in the planning stages.
-We are removing the support and taking down the partial wall where the refrigerator currently is (and obviously imbedding a steel beam).

• The L island is coming out - it’s smack in the middle of everything and the rest of the room isn’t livable.
    -The bathroom door is being moved to the laundry room so the bathroom won’t be “in” the kitchen
    -We are either putting new doors on or painting - this kitchen was here when we bought this place. I don’t love the choice, but it’s not that old and I can’t justify just ripping it out. We will need to add some cabinets so we can move the fridge and add the bar.

What we need this area to do:

1. Be a kitchen and entertain fairly large groups several times a year.
  2. Take advantage of the living areas in front of the water, but also accommodate television at night, when there’s nothing to see…
  3. Operate well for the two people who live here the other 361 days a year when we don’t have a large crowd.
  4. My husband and I love to play cards and watch sports in the background and we love doing that at a counter island. I hate being at an island and worrying about food prep - which is why I was considering the two islands. My husband is careless with counters and crumbs…and a work island would go a long way toward family harmony :)
  5. We are adding a fireplace and a larger tv. Ideally the seating island would face that tv wall for us, as that would also give us a great water view. Right now, our backs are to the view when we sit at the island.
  6. The drop leaf table in the pictures is well over a century old and it has 8 leaves that enable me to seat 16-18 people. I can always put that out in the middle by moving a bit of furniture around.

I’ve shown you the best option below that my limited vision can see.

Comments (5)